What's the lowest hypo value you're ever had?

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm curious what any of your lowest values were, where you managed to bring it back up and remain conscious.

I've woken up in the hospital a couple times in my life so had no idea what my value was for those times, but typically have managed to fix it myself, or have someone at hand to help me drink some OJ.

My personal lowest was 1.1 that I can remember.

Reactions: johnnyxs

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had unrecordably low blood sugar (I think LO on the PDM is anything <1) and treated it fine. But I've also had readings of <1.5 that needed an ambulance with glucagon and IV glucose to treat. So it's not something I'd want to be testing, safest just to try and stay over 4.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm curious what any of your lowest values were, where you managed to bring it back up and remain conscious.

I've woken up in the hospital a couple times in my life so had no idea what my value was for those times, but typically have managed to fix it myself, or have someone at hand to help me drink some OJ.

Hoping4Cure - Your post is in the Reactive Hypoglycaemia (RH) section of the forum. The mechanism for RH differs significantly to more usual forms of diabetic hypoglycaemia, and therefore, I would suggest your responses would be more meaningful if your thread is in the T1 area of the forum.

Would you like me to move it for you?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's interesting that my lowest reading was in hospital after an eOGTT, I'm lead to believe that it was between 1.5 and 2mmols. However, I have no doubt been around that low because of the bouncing around of fluctuating blood levels when I was in my hypo hell! I have found myself nodding off, being unconscious or something and the hypo/hyper symptoms would merge and though I didn't have a clue what was happening, I figure that some of my readings from diagnosis disturbed my endocrinologist and myself!
I'm led to believe that my liver came to the rescue through glucogenesis.
But as others have said, hypos are slightly different than T1, in how they happen, because of the insulin over production and over shoot in secondary insulin response.
But the hypos are just as dangerous!

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry I thought this was the right place. Yes, move it! But if there's already a thread out there then I'd love to read it.

I only made it out of curiosity to see what's the lowest sugar value anyone's had where they were conscious. My guess is around 1.0 -ish.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's to know what the threshold for a hypo where you lose consciousness (or can't wake up) is.

A CGM can do this too, but I am loathe to wear one, and don't suffer from hypos very often now.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's to know what the threshold for a hypo where you lose consciousness (or can't wake up) is.

A CGM can do this too, but I am loathe to wear one, and don't suffer from hypos very often now.

Everyone is different in terms of threshold, personally I don't ever wish to find this out, so unsure what you are seeking by conducting a poll on this ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Well thankfully in 35 years of living with type 1 that's never happened, but I'd imagine the threshold will vary from person to person and will depend on the speed of the bg drop (for example how much active IOB there is at the time).

But I'd imagine for many who lose consciousness they would never know what their bg levels were, so a poll really doesn't tell us anything IMHO.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My lowest in the last 8 months of diagnosis is 1.8. I felt pretty much normal, apart from my legs being berg tingly and painful. Gluco tabs eaten to bring it back up

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Hoping4Cure
your query and poll offends me , as it seeks to establish some sort of "low" point
in any of our lives, that may have been beyond our control.
some of us ( including myself) have been unconscious , and ended up in ( A&E ) hospital with severe hypos.

your thread is at best macabre , and at its worst spurious.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck

I'm not sure what my lowest has been. On my Libre, it's read LO (not sure what that means) and I did feel quite disorientated lol.

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I have had 1.6 and managed to pull through with some dextro. I don't see a problem with the post.

Reactions: JackpOb

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it interesting that Brits oftentimes seem to use a branded glucose product to treat lows. I am led to believe your diabetes association does not approve of "special foods" marketed to diabetics, which is what these products (tablets, liquids) are. I've never really used them, I mostly use fruit juices and good ole Tootsie Roll Pops (70 cal). Works for me!

Deputy_Dawg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just recorded a 1.4. We have just returned from our afternoon walk and about half a mile from home I got the warning signs so had a sit down and ate a Toffe Crisp bar. We then walked homecandcI recorded a 1.4 on my meter. Having a cup of tea with six sugars now. By the way this is my first post too.

Reactions: fletchweb

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it interesting that Brits oftentimes seem to use a branded glucose product to treat lows. I am led to believe your diabetes association does not approve of "special foods" marketed to diabetics, which is what these products (tablets, liquids) are. I've never really used them, I mostly use fruit juices and good ole Tootsie Roll Pops (70 cal). Works for me!

I don't think they are - I've used Glucojuice on occasion and I know they also make Glucotabs. Yes, they can be taken by a diabetic to resolve a hypo issue but they are also marketed at runners etc. for energy - similar to Lucozade.

Reactions: Medusa41

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I hit 1.8 once - I felt terrible. Got some quick digestible sugar in to me, sat in a chair and tried to focus on remaining conscious. It was close very close - Definitely something to avoid - there's nothing like hoping your body metabolizes that sugar solution quickly otherwise you might die ---- (I was alone at the time and was a bit worried - but survived.).

I lost consciousness once in University - don;t know what my BG was but the first thing that the doctor told me when I regained consciousness was - "We almost lost you!"

The interesting thing is - I suspect many other people with diabetes have similar stories.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@Hoping4Cure
your query and poll offends me , as it seeks to establish some sort of "low" point
in any of our lives, that may have been beyond our control.
some of us ( including myself) have been unconscious , and ended up in ( A&E ) hospital with severe hypos.

your thread is at best macabre , and at its worst spurious.

For what it's worth - I didn't take it that way. This is a serious experience that we're all subjected too, and from a mental health perspective it's good to talk about it - even if it is macabre - I've likely almost died several times - I'm happy I'm still hear and in spite of it all pretty happy to be a live :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The getting low subject gets a lot of airplay on this forum IMO. For good reason, it's a Type 1 forum so we all take insulin, many exercise, avoid some carbs, etc. And getting low is serious stuff, some people succumb to it usually while asleep. I have my own way of dealing with that and I'm sure the rest of you do as well. My lowest was 1.6 finishing walking 9 holes of golf. I actually parred the final hole, walked to my car and checked my sugar, which was 28mg/dl. I felt low but was functional. I was very surprised, now I carry a meter in my bag.