What's the lowest you've gone without noticing?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine is now, following a lot of exercise, a beer and my Libre falling off, then this shocker...

d4f2c45ccd07c693cfde2b34bd52d4cf.jpg

And I kind of realised that something wasn't quite right, but an hour ago my bg level was 8.2 and I took precious little insulin to handle it. Ah well where are the biscuits? I've already mainlined dextrosols.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Wow, I think you're on top of the podium, I've never seen under mid 2s

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
sorry to rain on the podium of lows but i have had many LO readings on my meter and been what I thought was copus mentus

LO is listed as being lower than 1.2 for those that have not experienced it

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had an old meter once that registered at 0.9 I've never been that low since. Had a few LO's though as well but that was when I was a bit younger!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I got a 28 mg/dl ~ 1.3 Mmol a few weeks ago. Went to bed felt a bid odd , not classic hypo symptoms checked and was at my lowest ever. I always do a double check if I get a surprise result and it was the same.

Always thought you'd be heading for unconsciousness around these values.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
sorry to rain on the podium of lows but i have had many LO readings on my meter and been what I thought was copus mentus

LO is listed as being lower than 1.2 for those that have not experienced it
It wasn't really supposed to be a podium of lows really, just a reassurance to people that haven't experienced it that you *can* be compus mentis at that level. Good to see others that have been.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What's more remarkable is that you still had the good sense to write this post - wow I am impressed !

I managed to get a 1.2 whilst swimming with my daughter, despite having a couple of jelly babies before hand, had just changed to Tresiba and was just getting my basal dose right. Just felt a bit strange so tested and was 1.2 but like an idiot I had my jelly babies in the locker although my meter was in my bag poolside. I started to feel unwell very quickly though shaking, sweating and in a panic as never registered so low before, so had to gather enough sense to get my key in the padlock whilst worrying I was going to pass out, my daughter's swimming instructor came over and was talking away and then telling me she couldn't leave me until I was well again which was lovely, but was so embarrassed.

One i'd like to forget but has taught me a few things about managing exercise with type 1..

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lowest ever measure was, ironically, at an HbA1c test. My first appointment with a new Doctor at start of 2014 . . . I had an early appointment, and was disappointed to wake with a higher level than I would have liked. (Sad man that I am, I wanted to impress my new Doctor with my good control :rolleyes:). So I injected a correction dose of Humalog, and proceeded to the appointment.

At the surgery, I had my blood taken and then chatted with the Doctor for a while. This was really great! Finally I had found a Doctor that was willing to support my Ketogenic/LCHF diet, and was actually interested to know what I was eating and the other things I was doing. We chatted in depth for around 45 mins.

A few days later the HbA1c results arrived in the Post . . . HbA1c was 5.2% . . . blood-sugar serum level at time of test was 18mg/dl (1.0mmol/l)

Seems that my "correction" dose was rather too aggressive!

I certainly don't aim for low levels, but later on it was useful that this had happened. With the great new Doctor I was able to really discuss my experiences of the Ketogenic diet, including my anecdotal evidence that Ketosis provides an extremely helpful back-up protection against the normally unpleasant/dangerous effects of low blood-sugar levels. We chatted about this topic frequently over the next months, and one strong piece of evidence that I could point to was that blood-test result at our initial appointment. She couldn't argue with the reliability of the result (from her own Practice/Lab) or with the impression she had gotten of me at that first appointment. Along with many other things, I think this really helped convince her that there is something in this Ketosis theory.

Regards :)
Antony

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, Tim! That's one to treasure .. Lucy

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been LO on my meter and felt fine but can feel **** at 3.9. This diabetes lark makes no sense:nailbiting:. I've been unconscious and conscious in ambulance where it's too low to register at all, not sure what that means. Fun, fun, fun. Usually it's someone else who notices first, I find losing consciousness tends to make people aware.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
It wasn't really supposed to be a podium of lows really, just a reassurance to people that haven't experienced it that you *can* be compus mentis at that level. Good to see others that have been.

I am amazed myself at how switched on I can be at a level of 1.2 -- and also as was said just above by SandyDee can feel rubbish at around 3.9

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@SandyDee I too know exactly what you mean. In normal circumstances, I tend to feel hypos at around the same level - usually 3.8.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There doesn't seem to be a clear correlation between levels and ability to carry on regardless. I've had many lows, a fair few 2s and one 1.9, but as others have said, you can sometimes function better at 1.9 than at 4.2. But then, who knows, who is there to judge how you're doing? Can you trust your own judgement on this? You might be doing a funny walk and you alone don't realise. Maybe others are too polite to mention that you've dropped your coffee all over you. Am I sure I'm handling my meter correctly? In my case, I usually go deadly quiet, but as I'm never rowdy, that might not attract attention. :( Maybe our ability to cope or not depends on how fast our blood sugar level is falling.:wacky:

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a 0.9 on an older meter as well as a few LO's. But then I used to be Captain Hypo back in the day. I have been known to spend large amounts of my life wandering around feeling not too bad in the 2's or below without too many problems.
Not something I'm particularly proud of but these things happen. I am trying to get myself more sorted now and doing fairly well.
This should not be tried by amateurs ☺

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One finger pricks i have seen 2.8 without feeling off.. On my dexcom i have seen it read 2.1 and feeling absolutely fine.

I have the feeling that meters are calibrated to shift the error to the low side on lower readings to keep a bit of a safety pad. They would rather it read 1.9 and actually 2.2, then read 1.9 and actually be 1.6...

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There doesn't seem to be a clear correlation between levels and ability to carry on regardless. I've had many lows, a fair few 2s and one 1.9, but as others have said, you can sometimes function better at 1.9 than at 4.2. But then, who knows, who is there to judge how you're doing? Can you trust your own judgement on this? You might be doing a funny walk and you alone don't realise. Maybe others are too polite to mention that you've dropped your coffee all over you. Am I sure I'm handling my meter correctly? In my case, I usually go deadly quiet, but as I'm never rowdy, that might not attract attention. :( Maybe our ability to cope or not depends on how fast our blood sugar level is falling.:wacky:

Very true. I'm the same - I've had plenty of lows and loads of two's and sometimes they're not as bad as a 3 or 4.

Whilst out on the bike the other week felt generally okay but sensed something might be not quite right so I stopped to check and it was 1.9. I was able to complete the test and comprehend the result - then had a flapjack and a couple of gels. A few weeks before on one ride I was really struggling, having difficulty concentrating and nothing in the legs - stopped at the road side and managed to do the test. The figure was 3.6.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've gone low whilst gigging & noticed my syptoms, then glugging the sweet stuff during guitar breaks on stage.
Finishing the set a good 30 or 40 minutes later getting the chance & tested in the mid 2s. So who knows what I was during...?
I normally treat first & test. Seeing the odd low around 1.2 but surprised how together I am to treat.
I've never passed out or needed assistance ever.

Though with regards to other people's perception of me while low. I've seen a couple of videos of the performance & I fancy I just about got away with it!? Lol :D;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Before diagnosis and my GP taking my bloods during a surgery visit. I do believe that I've touched the lower hypo range, the consistency of hypers and hypos had me in hell!
I've been as low as 2.4 for a OGTT!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diagnosis and my GP taking my bloods during a surgery visit. I do believe that I've touched the lower hypo range, the consistency of hypers and hypos had me in hell!
I've been as low as 2.4 for a OGTT!

Hey Nosher.

The reactive hypoglycaemicia. Is it possible that certain individuals can get this at certain times of their life. Like in the teens & 20's. Then have no issue later..??
I'll elaborate. (Please don't don't take my enquirery as an unempathic Q. Or a "you'll grow out of it." Lol none of us like that s##t.) ;) As a teen my old school mate told he used to suffer on odd occaisions, from his description the symptoms we would say was a hypo. He stopped it with sugar.
My wife experienced the same in her late teens/early 20s.. She also shared a house a number of years ago. (When I first met her.) this one guy sharing used to frequently show signs of hypoglycaemicia, even slumped in the kitchen confused trying to eat.. Though in my view he may have been a secret T1?

In some ways I'm glad I met a woman that has somewhat experienced the symptom.. It means she can understand without the stupid over reaction. :cool: