Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

Ballerina

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
That food is more than just fuel. It's also the way to control b.sugars and encourage a healthy way of eating,almost like medicine if all tests reflect the effort put in. I've also learned that food companies love to put sugar in sooo many products,just to satisfy our tastes. Shun them !

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Acceptance of my condition. No chip butties!
Doing something about it. Very low carb to stay within normal blood levels!
Being strict about what goes into my mouth. Anything that raises my bloods!
Eating to my meter. How else would you know?
Finding out that everyone is different. I hate labels! (I'm sure you can have more than just type 2! (I know this because I've read an awful lot of information about metabolic conditions.

Finding out that why doesn't matter if you are fit and healthy!
You can live your life again, after diagnosis!

And finally, Being different (and weird) can be really fun!

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never stop learning! You cannot "not have diabetes" but you can fight it. Get a meter, and pay attention to what it tells you. Try many things and make records of what is good, what is not, and if that changes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The fact I've had diabetes decades before diagnosis and only metformin helps me lose weight, no matter the diet.

Ultimately one diabetic isn't all diabetics!
We are all different.

Reactions: letstalk1

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For over 30 year of living with my Dad's T2D condition, we simply tried to follow the general recommendations and accepted that the condition is chronic and progressive. The roller coaster glucose level, regular stenting of clogged arteries, progressive kidney failure, weakening memory, changing personality, toe amputation...

But when I started on my own T2D journey...it seems to be remarkably different. The wealth of freely available low carb knowledge helped to normalize gluocse/insulin levels within days.

The fact that many T2D has a carbs/insulin responses that can be several times above normal means that it makes sense to dramatically reduce carbs. That allows a more normal level of glucose and insulin, resulting in an environment that is more conducive for burning body fats.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That food is more than just fuel. It's also the way to control b.sugars and encourage a healthy way of eating,almost like medicine if all tests reflect the effort put in. I've also learned that food companies love to put sugar in sooo many products,just to satisfy our tastes. Shun them !
Yes I agree they put sugar in many products.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Acceptance of my condition. No chip butties!
Doing something about it. Very low carb to stay within normal blood levels!
Being strict about what goes into my mouth. Anything that raises my bloods!
Eating to my meter. How else would you know?
Finding out that everyone is different. I hate labels! (I'm sure you can have more than just type 2! (I know this because I've read an awful lot of information about metabolic conditions.

Finding out that why doesn't matter if you are fit and healthy!
You can live your life again, after diagnosis!

And finally, Being different (and weird) can be really fun!
I agree bad carbs are really evil.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Never stop learning! You cannot "not have diabetes" but you can fight it. Get a meter, and pay attention to what it tells you. Try many things and make records of what is good, what is not, and if that changes.
Yes , so much to learn.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That two consecutive days of the same food doesn't give me the exact same readings.
I no longer crave sweets and puddings, who knew that you could live without them!!
Also, loving the way I have dropped all my excess weight and now look so much better.
Ditto on all you say.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For over 30 year of living with my Dad's T2D condition, we simply tried to follow the general recommendations and accepted that the condition is chronic and progressive. The roller coaster glucose level, regular stenting of clogged arteries, progressive kidney failure, weakening memory, changing personality, toe amputation...

But when I started on my own T2D journey...it seems to be remarkably different. The wealth of freely available low carb knowledge helped to normalize gluocse/insulin levels within days.

The fact that many T2D has a carbs/insulin responses that can be several times above normal means that it makes sense to dramatically reduce carbs. That allows a more normal level of glucose and insulin, resulting in an environment that is more conducive for burning body fats.
Yup alot of us are Lowcarbwarriors.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most important thing I learned was that the health professionals didn't have a clue about diabetes at the time I was diagnosed (2009). I began by doing everything I was told by the Gods but as the layers of onion were peeled away one by one I found that just about every bit of advice I was given was wrong.

I have a highly educated DN and even she showed signs of discomfort until she realised that I understood her dilemma.

Somwhere I still have a handout from the charity that gave me the induction lecture. The advice on it seems to be there to make people worse.

Reactions: letstalk1

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The most important thing I learned was that the health professionals didn't have a clue about diabetes at the time I was diagnosed (2009). I began by doing everything I was told by the Gods but as the layers of onion were peeled away one by one I found that just about every bit of advice I was given was wrong.

I have a highly educated DN and even she showed signs of discomfort until she realised that I understood her dilemma.

Somwhere I still have a handout from the charity that gave me the induction lecture. The advice on it seems to be there to make people worse.
I have found a good DN also , and she is the best on the whole team that can actually help me with everything- the others not really.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Be prepared to FAIL!
Then when (if) it happens, acknowledge it, shrug, stick two fingers up at it, and move on. Beating diabetes isn't a straight race.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I have found a good DN also , and she is the best on the whole team that can actually help me with everything- the others not really.
My newest DN was a revelation. She has parents with diabetes and having heard what I do, is considering suggesting LCHF for them...

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Get a meter ASAP after diagnosis.
Eat to the meter.
No two days are the same.
This site is more help than the diabetes nurse at the doctors.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most important thing I have learned is that it's not my fault despite what the media says. Next on the list comes all the other stuff people have said on this thread.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Pipp