What's your target range?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a Hba1c from keeping my tested readings under 7, so you might not need to push yourself as hard as you think - and my waist has shrunk considerably too. I take no medication for diabetes. I do not fast.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a Hba1c from keeping my tested readings under 7, so you might not need to push yourself as hard as you think - and my waist has shrunk considerably too. I take no medication for diabetes. I do not fast.
What is you hba1c level ?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am tracking my median (not mean) readings over the last 7 day as a rolling average so as to cancel out the unrepeatable of the meter etc. (Yes I did study stats as part of my Comp Sci degree!)

How do you define "keeping my tested readings under 7"?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am tracking my median (not mean) readings over the last 7 day as a rolling average so as to cancel out the unrepeatable of the meter etc. (Yes I did study stats as part of my Comp Sci degree!)

How do you define "keeping my tested readings under 7"?
I reduced down to testing after my evening meal as that seems to be my highest reading of the day.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use the test readings about 2hr after the evening meal, but as I take a walk most evening it may not just depend on the meal.

Say the readings from the last 7 days are 5.5, 6.2, 7.3, 5.3, 4.9, 5.3, 6.0
I then sort them into order to give 7.3, 6.2, 6.0, 5.5, 5.3, 5.3, 4.9
Then take the middle number to get 5.5

This give a easy to work out number, that excludes "invalid" readings etc. Remember that if two reading are different by less then 10% it is very possible the BG is the same. (Even a 20% one off difference could just be the meter.)

(It very possible that by keeping all your reading under 7.0, your average reading is a lot less.)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to aim for 5.5 and under, when I was first diagnosed I was happy when it went under 20 then under 10 but it's a question of what levels you are happy with.

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Well, I actually quit taking insulin today and am going on metformin tomorrow morning. I stopped eating carbs and started eating quite healthy the day I got the diagnosis, perhaps because I was worried that I would gain weight. I've also started excercising daily and have kept this up so far. The shocker of getting the diagnosis was the exact push I needed to change my lifestyle. I also consider my intake of calories and after 3 weeks I have lost 2.5 kgs! Small steps, but I did have a terrible diet before this. My nurse says I may be fine even without the metformin, but that I should try it either way because it has some health benefits, apparently it can help reduce visceral fats? Has anyone heard about that?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin makes the body respond more to the insulin it creates, therefore it allows your body to create less insulin if your BG is already controlled with low curbs, otherwise it allows your body to lower your BG. Having your body creating less insulin lowers the risk of health issues and makes it easier for you to lose weight.

But some people don't get on with Metformin as it gives them GI issues, I have no problem taking it, therefore I will remain on it until I have lost as much weight as I wish to, but if it did give me side effect I would be trying to come of it very quickly.