What's your worse figure, and do you know why?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Interesting question, was only talking to my good wife about this today.

Diagnosed T2 averaged BG via Drs blood analysis 9.5 mid May found my self here, late may early June.

Started a version of LCHF beginning June along with 2 x 500g Metformin per day.

Mid June at a pay day bar just to see reading came back 9.2.

Tried same this week came back 7.2

I guess diet and 2 stone weight lose is having an effect. I certainly hope so.

All other reading since beginning of June have been normal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was a tuna-mayo butty on 2 thin slices of granary bread in an upmarket café. I was sure I would be fine with that. Ooooops shot up to 12.4 at 2 hours and 11.4 at 2.5 hours! I had no peculiar symptoms. That is my highest ever reading and was back in May.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Equally high reading on child portion of boiled rice and same size portion of plain naan on a separate occasion. Both in double figures. :(
Don't miss the rice but miss the naan.
9.4 on 4 dessert spoons of pasta!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Highest genuine reading ( as in one confirmed by several attempts to prove it false!) was an 8 while on holiday. I blame a combination of the humidity , not drinking enough water and a spoonful of lime pickle. I also suspect the innocent red onion and lettuce salad was dressed in sugared lemon juice.

Loulou44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, 10.2 about 3 hours after 3 small buffet cut sandwiches and average size sausage roll and handful of crisps...I think I must have over done the carbs I am also sure that brown/granary type bread really does not agree with me...I take 2000mgs metformin daily, BMI 22 really difficult to know how I can cut down as my weight is ok I really just avoid sugar and try to have a carb free meal a day. I have only been diagnosed very recently and take my BS on my own meter I purchased but I also sometimes use my hubby as a control test and on this occasion his was 5.2 and he'd several pints.

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worse reading since beginning lchf was 13.2, following strawberries/blueberries/seeds & greek yoghurt. However, realised I had forgotten to taken Metformin after the food. Once I'd taken the meds it came down to 11.6. I am newly diagnosed, so I guess it'll take a while to settle. Had a good reading just before my meal this eve and a swim 8.3 rose to 9.6 after, but this is the first time I've remained in single figures following food. However, did feel quite shaky before I ate my reading after lunch was 11, so perhaps the drop shocked my body. Can't wait to be lamenting 8 as a reading' at present that figure is a cause for celebration.:wideyed:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pizza - 12.8 I think. I knew what would happen, and did it anyway.

Curry - 11+. No rice or naan, just the curry sauce! I genuinely thought I had made an ok choice. They must have tipped sugar in by the tablespoon.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started monitoring I would be between 8 and 9 two hours after tea and then it would go up to 13+ when I took it just before bed about 3 hours later. I do like the odd treat in the evening so I spend several days trying to find what was acceptable with no joy. Then I had one post meal reading that was in the 13s after a meal that normally would have left me in the 7 to 8 range. I suddenly realised that the culprit was the weight watchers hot chocolate I had. I had assumed being low callory and containing sweeteners it wouldn't cause a problem. I now make hot chocolate with cocoa, sweetener and cream and it hardly touches my BS.

The other evening I was at a friends Birthday get together and asked for a small piece of cake, who ever was cutting it didn't know what small meant, and despite good intentions to leave half of it, over the evening it just slowly vanished. I didn't bother taking a reading when I got home, I decided it would just be a waste of a strip as I knew it was going to be too high.

Reactions: 4 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
9.9 three hours after a home made pizza.... not done one since.... 9.0 after too much spag....

C

chris lowe

I tested 9.5 a few months ago (average is 5.8 - 5.4) had a good hard think about what could have done it, but I'd had very few carbs day before and nothing ater about 9pm. Was ok later in day so decided it was just some sort of glitch

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only started monitoring since mid July as GP said T2 did not need strips (tne normal excuses), Now they have put me on basal insulin and told me to test. I have been T2 since 2008 but buried my head in the sand about it all. Now testing and feeling really good if my BS is under 7 at anytime.
Still getting to grips with LCHF eating but gradulally improving - today had a read of 6.5 2 hours after a big chicken salad for lunch. Still finding the reads after breakfast alarming - normally around 12 to 14 but only have 2 weetabix will skimmed milk.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still finding the reads after breakfast alarming - normally around 12 to 14 but only have 2 weetabix will skimmed milk.

I would also get readings like that after Weetabix and skimmed milk. Have you thought of changing your breakfasts?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
12.4 following a Costa Strawberry Cooler once They are my only weakness........;)

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
One day I was having awful pains in my legs and feeling very confused.
Reading was 27.
Couple of hours later it read ... high.
My wife phoned out of hours doc who sent ambulance.
High means it's beyond the machines limit to give a measurement.
Doctors at the AnE checked me out put me on a paracetamol drip and saline solution I think it was and kept me in till my readings were seen to be clearly going down down down ... sent me home around 15.
I was told the pain was alergic reaction to satins ... never took another one after that never had an event since like that.
What caused the reading?
Have no idea.
All I had had that day was toast for breakfast ... this was before I met you lot ... and a hm salad in the evening.
Was it the statins ....
dunno.gif

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
As it says really.
What's the worst BS you had, do you know why, and how did it affect you.
(Not when you were diagnosed though, but after you'd thought you had everything under control, then something came back to bite you)
HbA1c 112 mmol/mol and BS of 31.5 mmol/l. Felt ABSOLUTELY F**CKED. Was ready to crawl into A&E but I hate hospitals with a passion lol

Loulou44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a 13.2 last night ummmm, no more Topic " what has hazelnut in every bite" **** and I enjoyed it too..

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an 11.4 many months ago. I'd eaten a large Waitrose jam doughnut and just couldn't stay awake. The 11.4 was when I woke up around 3 hours later, so the readings in the intermediate period would almost certainly have been much higher.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also get readings like that after Weetabix and skimmed milk. Have you thought of changing your breakfasts?

Just after I was diagnosed, I recorded a 14.4, 90 minutes after a breakfast of rice crispies and skimmed milk.

I'd sometimes wondered why I was often hot and sweaty, with more than my fair share of 'brain fog', in the office that time in the morning. Now I know.

Reactions: 2 people