When should I start to worry?...Feet

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I went to the cinema today and my right foot went numb. I shifted position in my seat and made small movements in that leg to try and promote blood flow. After the cinema, did some shopping around the city centre and came home. That was about 4hrs ago and my foot is still tingly/numb...at what point do you think I should start worrying? Admittedly, the worry is already there after walking around town, I thought the feeling would be back by now?
I have had occasional instances where my foot is tingly/numb for a few mins and then is back to normal. But this doesn't happen too often. My feet are usually cold due to (I'm guessing) poor circulation so it's difficult to notice a change in that to indicate if something may not be right. Blood glucose has been a bit off lately which pushes my concern up a little further.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I went to the cinema today and my right foot went numb. I shifted position in my seat and made small movements in that leg to try and promote blood flow. After the cinema, did some shopping around the city centre and came home. That was about 4hrs ago and my foot is still tingly/numb...at what point do you think I should start worrying? Admittedly, the worry is already there after walking around town, I thought the feeling would be back by now?
I have had occasional instances where my foot is tingly/numb for a few mins and then is back to normal. But this doesn't happen too often. My feet are usually cold due to (I'm guessing) poor circulation so it's difficult to notice a change in that to indicate if something may not be right. Blood glucose has been a bit off lately which pushes my concern up a little further.
Sorry to hear about your problem.

I can't offer any advice on the matter, but do you know your most recent HbA1c and can I ask how long you've been diabetic?

The reason I ask is, as far as I'm aware, issues with your feet such as peripheral neuropathy tend to manifest over a prolonged period of time with diabetes and elevated BG.

Also, can you remember the last results of your feet screening? You should get this done annually by a nurse at your Clinic.

I'd schedule an appointment with your GP, always best to err on the side of caution. I hope someone with experience can add something to this thread shortly:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get it looked at @Ratty_Kat It might be something as simple as a trapped nerve, sciatica, or the way you were sitting, but it's always a good idea to get foot issues checked medically. Even if there's nothing wrong, the reassurance you get will put your mind at rest, so make an appointment and get it checked out.

Reactions: col101

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, don't over worry but do get it checked out. If there is a problem it's going to be easier to deal with now than later and if there's no problems it's a big phew and a smile