When Should I Test After Food

Nick4344

Hi. I've been testing myself 2 hours after food and most readings are below 7. I've just had a meal (steak with egg and cheese omelet) which is usually fine with a reading after 2 hours, but this time I tested myself after an hour and it was 8.3.

Should I be concerned or is this normal and it's the 2 hour reading I should record / rely on?

Thanks

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I always test at 2 hours after eating. Your result looks ok to me at one hour but what was it pre meal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I've been testing myself 2 hours after food and most readings are below 7. I've just had a meal (steak with egg and cheese omelet) which is usually fine with a reading after 2 hours, but this time I tested myself after an hour and it was 8.3.

Should I be concerned or is this normal and it's the 2 hour reading I should record / rely on?

Thanks
If you were 7 before the food then kind of ok.. if you were 4 before the food then not good.. hever if all you had was steak cheese and eggs then I doubt your blood will have risen so high.. maybe wash hands and retest and see what happens

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Thanks
2 hours is a fairly standard time for testing. On occasion I will test after 1 hour during times of illness. 8.3 is a respectable bgl if it falls below that point over time. There will always be a rapid spike initially after meals, so it is essential to control it over the two hour period prior to testing. If the reading is above 9.5 after this time there is reason for concern.

Nick4344

Thanks. I had an 11.4 a couple of days ago but that was after testing chicken on 2 slices of bergan bread. Bergan bread looks like a no no.