When to measure My Blood sugar and what should It Be?

taffy

Hi There
I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jan and advised by my doctor to control it with my diet. Little more information was provided to myself.

Today I purchased a ACCU-CHECK Compact Plus to test my own sugar level for my own piece of mind.

At 17:30 today approx 1Hr after food I tested it and it was 7.3

What does this tell me and when is the best time to take it?

Thanks

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Taffy,
Unfortunately 1 hour after eating is probably the worst time you should test your blood sugar! Although a reading of 7.3 is actually pretty low unless what you ate at 4:30 had very little carbohydrate. If you only want to do one test a day then the best time is in the morning just before breakfast. Your body will have been fasting through the night (unless you are a secret 3am snacker) so the blood test will show you what is effectively your starting point for the day.

When you eat, the carbohydrate in your food converts into sugar (actually glucose) in your blood. This generally reaches a peak at around 1 hour after you have eaten, but by 2 hours it should have dropped back to somewhere near its normal "resting" level. I say "somwhere near" because its not an exact science - some carbohydrates will raise your blood sugar very quickly but others are slower and after 2 hours are still converting to sugar.

If you want to test twice a day then the normal recommended is before breakfast and again before your evening meal. Personally I wouldn't test after eating unless you particularly want to see the effect of whatever you have eaten on your BS.

If you are not sure of how to control your blood sugar by diet, have a look round the forum - there are loads of threads that cover the topic of carbs, proteins and fats and the effect of them on our blood sugar levels.

Reactions: lorraine95

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
do you mean to say that you were Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and just basically sent on your way? WITHOUT a Blood Glucose meter!?!?

It's an excellent meter BTW, is it the black one? I bought that one too back in feb, it's great for not having to handle the test strips and quick to test with it. The Ultrasmart meter is better for logging though... which is what i use now, ive gone back to it in the last week.

Anyway, You're blood sugar level should be between 4.0 and 7.0, this is the 'non-diabetic' range.

Dont be too alarmed if it sneaks up on occassion, as there are so many variables involved that can affect your BG, including you health (colds, flu, etc), stress, time of day, time of year, the WEATHER!!, and of course... what you've recently eaten.

I think the majority of type 2 diabetics choose a low carb diet choice, this is because it helps keep the BG fluctuations down.

Your reading of 7.3 isn't half bad for a 1hr after eating reading... Generally, we diabetics wait for 2 hours after eating before testing.

The 'basic' testing schedule is usually....

Wake Up (fasting)
Before Breakfast (if you've been up for while before you eat)
2 hours after breakfast
Before lunch
2 hours after lunch
Before dinner
2 hours after dinner
Before bed.

As a newly diagnosed, it will pay to test as much as you can while you're trying all the different foods that you eat, to find out how each of them affects you and you'll soon learn whatyou can and can't get away with.

Information is power with diabetes! so test test test!

Good luck!

Stu

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I'm newly diagnosed as well as T2, it's been about 3 weeks now. The practice diabetes nurse was very much against me testing myself, she doesn't think I need to, but after prompting she did offer me a meter she got as a free sample from a rep. By that point I'd bought my own and started testing each morning anyway.

Since then I have got a prescription for lancets and test strips and my GP has recommended that I test each morning and each evening. She said that ideally I want to aim for a bG between 3 and 6 mmol/l. My average bG after 12 days is standing at 5.93 for mornings and I'll start doing it evenings as well on Thursday and do it for 30 days.

I agree with what people say about the Accu-Chek Compact Plus, it feels good in the hand with it's rubbery coating, the drum system of test strips is great and the lancer is less painful than the Ascensia Microlet and the pouch you get for it seems to be well made.

No I don't work for Accu-Chek ;-)

Stuboy

Dislikes
3 is too low!! you should not be aiming for 3! this is Hypo range.

4 - 7 is the "normal" range.

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
Stuboy said:
3 is too low!! you should not be aiming for 3! this is Hypo range.

4 - 7 is the "normal" range.

I've already had this clarified today by the practice diabetes nurse, I just haven't had chance to amend my post.

She does want me to aim for a morning bG of under 6, although she told me not to worry as long as it is under 7. There again, she also told me I don't need to test at all, so how am I supposed to know what the levels are?

Talk about mixed messages...

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I had to ring and whinge to get a bg meter - I suppose they don't want to freak newly diagnosed people out ... but frankly I would rather know what the fuss is about ... and unless I'm very much mistaken, knowing your bloods is a pretty important part of it ;)

REally important to measure how your body reacts to different foods, if you get a couple of similar results after eating a similar sized portion of food then you can pretty much accept it is a safe meal for you and then probably don't need to retest 2 hours after that meal every day, unless you feel ropey.

Had to explain to my doc why I'd been through 50 strips in2 weeks flat, but when I explained that one single new potato had sent my BG up to about 10 even he had to admit that every person was unique and it's only by testing that you can fully begin to understand your own body.

Stuboy

Dislikes
sounds like a sensible dr!

It truely is the only way to find out how foods affect you.

50strips in two weeks!? you're doing well lol, i use about 60-70 in a week, but im type 1 and currently doing some intensive monitoring in preperation to ask for a pump... to show them how inconsistant my BG is through out the day!

I just can't beleive people diagnoesed these days are being sent away with out the most fundamental and BASIC tools to stay healthy.

Good thing is, you can buy a meter from a pharmacy and not pay much more than £15 for one... but you do still need a prescription to get more test strips!

I would recommend the OneTouch Ultrasmart meter if you want to log meds and food or the Accu-Chek Compact Plus if you dont need/want to log meds, food, etc.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
the thing that bugs me is we're all told to "take control" but the only way to do that is to understand what is happening!! surely? unless I'm more mental than previously thought ;)

I thought 50 in 2 weeks was pretty reasonable too ;) but you know what these health worker types are like ... one a day! hahaha

I finally got my prescription exemption card today, after the receptionist had TWICE sent it in without getting the doctor's signature *doik* maybe they're programmed to save nhs money??

I use a onetouch ultra two and soft touch lancets ... no complaints. very simple. will record 17 odd pages of results and you can identify if it's a control test, albeit having to waste one test strip per cannister on the "control" solution is a bit poo.

whinge and whinge and whinge and then go in and say you had a test done at a chemist and your blood was sky high and all you'd had was a small egg roll or something ... you never know!!!

and your diabetes nurse can give you a free booklet to log your bg readings in - which is quite useful/

good luck!

ps MOAN LOUDLY ;)

xx

Stuboy

Dislikes
you know... you dont HAVE to use the control solution everytime you change the pot! i rarely do... if you wanna help the cause so to speak in not wasting strips... just use the solution like once a month, or when you beleive your meter might be out of calibration!

i used to log in a diary all my insulin, BG's and food. but then i got fed up with carrying the diary around with me and went back to using my Ultrasmart... i used to just use it for BG before, but now im using it for insulin logs, food logs, exercise logs and bg logs.

Anyway, good luck!

Jem

Dislikes
I get a prescription for 50 - which comes in two pots - I shake them into one - what a waste of plastic! I just test once per 50 but may week drop it to once a month as you advise ... the book I've been given is tiny and just enough for bgs ... it fits nicely into the front of the padded carry bag my meter came in - so I don't really mind. I'm not a technophobe but sometimes I find machinery a little *ehm* time-wasting I actually prefer writing my numbers in the book. *sigh* old fashioned I guess. although it's great to know the numbers are recorded in case I forget to write it down (or can't be bothered more like hahaha)

thanks again :)

oh I actually have a pertinent question!!! (makes a change instead to bleating on about nothing eh!?!?)

WHY

does my blood sugar sometimes go HIGHER after 2 hours of eating??

last night I had a celebratory couple slices of pizza (to "celebrate" my 4th week of being diabetic) since it's not something I would be eating normally - and my two hour pp bg was pretty good, but this morning, it was higher, even though I'd eaten nothing in between - and slept??

is it because the carbs were slower acting or am I just a freak of nature??

be nice!

J/xxx

and thanks again for everything xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DiabeticGeek

If you are going to self-test then it is important that you have a strategy. Testing can tell you various different useful things - but only if you time it and interpret the results correctly. So, here are various testing strategies you might like to consider. Not all will be relevant for you, some are likely to be ongoing and some part of a learning process.

1. Monitor your condition

This is probably the most important for T2s. You need to know how good your control is, and how things are changing. The best test for this is a fasting test. This is taken first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything. This gives you a very rough guide as to how good your control was the day before. If the diabetes is under good control, then this should be below 6mmol/l. Ideally it should be closer to 5, and some people manage to get it slightly under 5. If it is regularly over 7 then the diabetes is not yet under control, and you need to do something about that. Don't worry if you get the occasional glitch (they happen) - the important thing is to look for long term trends (you should keep records - either in your meter, on a computer or just keep a notebook).

Another way of monitoring your condition is to test several times during the day - generally two hours after eating. This will give you an idea of how high it goes during the day. Don't test within an hour of eating. That might well be very high, and that doesn't matter. Even non-diabetics can get a fair size BG spike after eating - the important thing is how quickly it comes down again. Ideally you want most 2 hour readings to be under 7. Again, don't worry about the occasional glitch but if you often get figures higher than that then that suggests that the diabetes isn't under as good control as it might be.

You probably do need to monitor your condition as a permanent routine. However, once you are confident that the diabetes is under good control, you don't need to do this that much. I would suggest that a single fasting test two or three times a week is enough to keep an eye on things. If the figures start creeping up then you need to test more to find out what is happening (maybe your diet has changed, or maybe the diabetes is deteriorating and you need different medication). This sort of occasional monitoring is very economic in strips.

2. Preventing hypos

This is something that may well not be relevant for you. Although anyone (even non-diabetics) can get a hypo, they are uncommon unless you are on insulin or certain drugs. If you are at risk of hypos, then you should test before you drive or do anything else potentially dangerous. Symptoms occur at different BG levels in different people, but usually they don't become noticeable until it is well under 4mmol/l. However, the rule of thumb is that you shouldn't drive if you get a reading less than 5mmol/l - if that is the case then eat something first.

If you have never had a hypo, then don't worry about this.

3. Learning how your body works

In order to control diabetes - especially if you hope to control T2 by diet, then you need to learn how your body works - how your BG fluctuates during the day in response to food and exercise. To do this I suggest that for several days you monitor intensely, and keep detailed records of everything that you eat and all exercise you do. You should then test:
  • First thing in the morning (before breakfast)
  • Immediately before each meal
  • One hour after each meal
  • Two hours after each meal
  • Last thing at night

This will use a lot of strips, but you only need to do it for a few days (maybe a week or so) to get a pretty good idea of what is going on. Remember, you are aiming to keep your average BG well below 7, and when it spikes after meals to get it down again as quickly as possible.

If you want to get a really detailed view of how your BG changes, then - for one day only - you could test every 30 minutes throughout the day. If you do this then choose a "typical" day (usual patterns of eating and exercise) and keep an absolutely scrupulous record of everything that passes your lips and everything that you do. This uses an awful lot of strips, but I have found it to be really interesting and it does help give you a good idea of exactly what is going on inside your body.

4. Learning the effects of specific foods

Once you have the diabetes pretty much under control, you will probably want to fine tune your diet. Everyone responds differently to various foods - so it is useful to know exactly what effects specific foods and combinations of foods have on you. You can find this out by conducting simple experiments. Measure your BG immediately before eating a "test" meal, and then measure it again every 30 minutes while it is still rising and once it peaks every hour until it gets back to where it started. If you plot this curve on a graph, then the area under the curve will represent your own personal glycaemic index for that meal. You can then use this information to help plan your diet. Meals with a low personal GI are better than meals with a high one. You should be careful about meals that take a long time for your BG to come back down again - you should avoid these sort of meals knocking in to each other. If you have several of these sort of slow effect meals during a day then the overall effect can be for your BG to rise throughout the day - and this is a bad thing!

DiabeticGeek

On the subject of the cost of strips, you don't need many strips to monitor your condition. You need a lot of strips to learn what is going on in your body, and the effects of different foods. However, you don't need to do this very often (only when you are first getting the diabetes under control, or if you are making major changes to your diet or medication).

If you are lucky and have an understanding doctor, then try to convince him or her to prescribe enough strips to allow you to do this. However, many people are going to need more strips for this than they will be able to get on prescription (I have never had any on prescription - and I believe that is quite common for newly diagnosed T2s now). If you end up paying for your own strips, the way I look at it is that it is an investment in your health - and as such even though they are expensive then given the potential benefits it is a small price to pay.

Jem

Dislikes
as a matter of interest to anyone who doesn't yet have a bg meter ... I am pretty sure that Bayer will be very happy to send you one free of charge.

I entered a "competition" (more like a giveaway thing) for a new ascensia bg meter and they wrote to me yesterday saying that even though I had missed the deadline for the comp/giveaway, they still wanted to send me one.

I guess the money comes from the strips more than the meters ;)

anyway, it's a very nice meter and will be my travelling bg spare :)

best J/xxx

Stuboy

Dislikes
Jem said:
WHY

does my blood sugar sometimes go HIGHER after 2 hours of eating??

last night I had a celebratory couple slices of pizza (to "celebrate" my 4th week of being diabetic) since it's not something I would be eating normally - and my two hour pp bg was pretty good, but this morning, it was higher, even though I'd eaten nothing in between - and slept??

is it because the carbs were slower acting or am I just a freak of nature??

be nice!

J/xxx

and thanks again for everything xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Because.... some foods take longer to digest. Foods like pasta and pizza is particularly well known for this affect... a lot of people, myself including, take two boluses for pasta and pizza (a small amount of pasta is fine but say like a pasta bolonase or something). So i usually take half 60% of the bolus before i eat the bowl of pasta or plate of pizza, and two hours after that i take the other 40%, which will keep my levels just right.

It's something to experiment with, but definatly worth doing so you dont have to miss out on all those lovely foods that so many diabetics feel the must avoid (and perhaps some really do have to avoid them, this tactic works for some, but not for others).

As my tag signature suggests... Pasta is a gift that just keeps giving!! lol same goes for pizza :p

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
Its definately an interesting topic and I find the information varies so so much from one professional to another. I have so far been under the care of 3 different people for my diabetes, I have been told that my sugar levels should be between 4-10 when I was first diagnosed. After many years and when I was having problems I was advised that as not everyone is the same I should focus on keeping them between 6-12 as my body could not cope within the normal range?!?!? I am now back on the advice of 4-8 and coping fine (with the exception of that bl**dy dawn phenomenon)

Stuboy - you like me go through alot of strips, I get moaned at so so much by my doctor but if I am trying to investigate my body and how it is responding then I need to test.

Jem

Dislikes
aha! thought that might be the case - thanks so much for the comments Stu-boy ... wondered why one tiny vegetarian sausage roll (admittedly with cereal in the "sausage" part as well as pastry) made me hit 12 ... and the pizza was only 8 ... and trust me, the one-off celebration thing led to it being a fairly decent portion *snigger* of pizza ... not just the one and half slices as recommended ... one and a half slices???? seriously. my kid (he'd 4 and a 1/2) eats about 5 slices!!

cheers!

and yes, I'm going through the test strips too ... don't care if Iget disapporving looks ... surely it's better to spend money on me now, whilst I'm learning about my new eating style ... instead of cutting off bits of body or fixing eyes that bleed later on - and then becoming far more dependant on healthcare?

sorry - moan over!

xxx