When to resume exercise after illness?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The best laid plans...
I intended to have a superfit christmas and counteract the over-indulgence by spending a couple of hours a day doing cardio. I was up to one hour a day on the crosstrainer, and was well into the couch to 5K programme to get running.
Then on Christmas day of all days, I woke up with a cough which quickly turned into a chest infection (I am prone to them thanks to having scarring from Legionnaires disease 8 years ago). I adopted the "neck rule" and as my symptoms were below the neck, didn't exercise. But how long after illness do you resume exercise?

I woke up this morning and although I've still got the chesty cough, it's much looser, my breathing is much easier, and I feel relatively good. Can't help but think that at this point a good session on the treadmill might help clear out the lungs and give my system a boost? But as I still have symptoms should I leave it another day or two?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Luceeloo, I guess only you know how you really feel. I generally say, listen to your body. If you feel a little better, try a steady 20min session at lower intensity and see how you feel. I know I hate not doing anything for a few days ! Once you start, you'll soon know if it was the right decision. Good luck !
Mo

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Mo, nice and easy does it and listen to your own body.

Reactions: 3 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
What @mo1905 and @noblehead said sounds like good advice to me.

Don't rush in and get disheartened because your body says no. Take it easy and go gently back into it.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I' in the same boat at the moment, but from experience exercising again too soon is a sure fire way of becoming ill again, I'll be waiting till any chestiness has passed. Gentle exercise with just a head cold is fine, but once in the chest its a bad idea.

Reactions: 2 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice!
I have found out that whilst I may feel ok whilst sitting around and doing nothing, it's a different story when up and about. Just went shopping to the supermarket, and feel like I've run a marathon. So, I think that I may as well write this week off... this is going to drive me crazy though!!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am STILL on the bloody sidelines!
The chest infection turned out to be a wonderful side effect of Doxazosin (a bp med). They've taken me off it, put me on beta blockers, and it's getting better... but we're now into the realms of nearly 2 weeks without physical activity. The Yoga DVD's are coming out today - at least I'll feel like I've done something!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am STILL on the bloody sidelines!
The chest infection turned out to be a wonderful side effect of Doxazosin (a bp med). They've taken me off it, put me on beta blockers, and it's getting better... but we're now into the realms of nearly 2 weeks without physical activity. The Yoga DVD's are coming out today - at least I'll feel like I've done something!

Oh dear you are having a bad time luceeloo :(

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too, had the infection quite a while now and thought I had recovered enough to start exercising again a couple of days ago. Wrong! Back to the hacking cough and mucus overload again. My xmas present from Mrs Bear is a new olympic barbell and 145k of weight which is being delivered tomorrow, guess its going to remain in its box for a few more days yet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work by the neck rule - don't exercise if the problem is below the neck eg a chest infection, coughing up gunk from lungs etc, but if it's just a cold, with a runny nose, OK to exercise moderately ie walking & jogging, not running. Getting wiped out when shopping is a sign not to do more just now!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I follow heart rate based training, which can help in these circumstances, as well as the neck rule.

Had a head cold over christmas myself with a race on New year's eve. Took only two extra days off - christmas eve and boxing day when I was producing more green gunk than the exorcist.

Do you know your resting heart rate? Mine is mid 40s, and if I had it elevated by 15bpm or more and I had symptoms I'd be a bit wary of any hard sessions, and would probably restrict myself to a steady HR of lower than my normal aerobic zone to be on the safe side, limit duration and be prepared to stop.

Yoga is always good as well, and if you really do not feel up to much, a brisk walk.

Remember you'll not lose any fitness in a week, and not a whole lot in two weeks either.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My resting rate is usually 56-58, currently closer to 70-72 and Although I stopped coughing up the gunk that started again after my weight session on thursday, so your advice sounds good to me.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My new weight kit arrived this afternoon, had to move over 200lb of weight plates and 45lb barbell from the front door up two flights of stairs to my "gym". Now I really know I am still too unwell to resume exercising. Off for a cup of tea and quick rub down with a packet of lemsip I think.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you feeling now Thommo?

I think I've turned the corner. I'm only hacking my lungs up first thing in a morning now... so tomorrow is the day to try a bit of cardio and see if it does or doesn't kill me lol.

Bit worried about the lack of exercise now, as I've started to see a definite upward curve in my blood sugar. Need to stamp that out right away!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weight training was good, but took too much out of me to do any serious cardio. Tomorrow is a resistance rest day so will hit the rower tomorrow and see how it goes.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just realised I've been thinking (incorrectly) that you were a woman for the last 6-months.

I'd misread your "handle" as The Momma Bear, not Thommo The Bear, sorry :oops:

But good to see you're feeling better.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just realised I've been thinking (incorrectly) that you were a woman for the last 6-months.

I'd misread your "handle" as The Momma Bear, not Thommo The Bear, sorry :oops:

But good to see you're feeling better.

Lol, its my own fault for not posting a proper picture of myself, so heres a new one which should make it clear what sex I am
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1389382068.974915.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning I decided that I had to bite the bullet and do some proper cardio. Last week, in a moment of madness, I signed up to do a 5k trail run in 8 weeks time. I decided that I needed a focus and something to work to, but road running didn't really inspire me. So ever since then I've been worried about my fitness and doubting whether I have given myself enough training time.
I've just done 45 minutes non stop on the cross-trainer at a vigorous pace... I broke a sweat at the end, but I wasn't anywhere near drop-down-on-the-floor-exhausted. I am wondering whether this lack of breathlessness and lack of pounding heartbeat may be due to the change in meds - I've recently been put on a betablocker. Whatever the reason, it was the best workout that I've ever had, and I feel that if things continue in this vein then I can do the 5k run.

The nice effect of this work out is that my blood sugar is currently at 4.5. I haven't been in the 4's for months :).

Sometimes a prolonged "rest" is a good thing!