When to take Levothyroxine and Metformin

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi All, this has probably been asked before but for some reason I can't use search at the moment. I have recently started Metformin, only 1 tablet daily at the moment but when I need to take 2 tablets daily it will be at breakfast and dinner. I take my Levothyroxine first thing, so do I have to wait an hour before eating and taking Metformin?, what do other people do?, thanks.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absorption of levothyroxine is not normally affected by food or medication, unless you are also taking calcium supplementation when you need to leave approximately 4 hours after the levothyroxine before taking the calcium.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There is an interaction between Levothyroxine and Metformin which affects the effiency of Metformin and I just wondered how much time people usually leave between taking the two medications

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told to take levothyroxine on an empty stomach and at least 1/2 hour before breakfast. I keep it by my bed and take it when I wake. That is in accord with the Mayo clinic guidance: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-i ... proper-use

I don't take metformin but have read that it should be taken with or after food. (there are a lot of people on here that will tell you when)

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Phoenix, I shall have to wait awhile before eating breakfast, thanks

Baddabing

I have been diagnosed diabetic for 5 years taking Metformin for the last 4 in all that time I have also had an under active thyroid and been taking levothyroxine. I have never been told that the two medications react together and have quite happily been taking both tablets (amongst others!) all at the same time after my breakfast. I have just been put on Byetta as the Metformin isn't,t reducing my blood sugars enough and now I am wondering if the time I take my levothyroxine might be making a difference to the effectiveness of the metformin.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baddabing, it might well be due to taking them all together. The DN didn't say anything to me but I read it somewhere on the net and so decided to telephone a pharmacist, as I take Furosemide as well. She told me they were not to be taken together as it would lower the effectiveness of the medications. Try asking a pharmacist your self or waiting an hour to eat, like me

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an underactive thyroid too and take Levo but have always been advised to take it well away from other meds and at least half an hour (preferably longer) away from food and hot drinks etc. I am not on Metformin though so cannot comment on that.

Baddabing

Thanks diadeb I will try taking my thyroxine before my breakfast to see if I see any difference and talk to my nurse next time I see her. Thanks Phoenix for the web link I have read the info and am definately going to change the time I take my tablet I can't believe I have been taking this medication for years and wasn't aware of this issue, hopefully I will see an improvement. :mad:)

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only take Metformin after lunch. I do take levothyroxin and many other drugs as soon as I wake. Never needed to take Metformin in the morning

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No one mentioned TEA and COFFEE, this is a problem , having to wait 6 Hours after levothyroxine before drinking Tea, caffeine reduces effectiveness of the drug

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking levothyroxine for years and no one ever mentioned this. I take mine along with all my other medication and a cup of tea first thing in the morning

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Crikey - I've been on both for many, many years and never knew this. Many thanks folks, many thanks indeed.

K

Kat100

I take mine together, did not know about reasons not to, that's been for 14 months now :/

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I shall carry on taking mine as normal as my levels are checked regularly so my dose is obviously correct for my regime. What if I took note if the tea and coffee thing now after all these years and everything went off? I'm sure if it was that much of a problem they would print it on the label in pharmacy, like they do when you must "avoid alcohol" or the "medication may make you drowsy so do not drive"?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i was told not to take my thyroxine at same time as other meds,i leave an hr between meds and food

planehazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am on levothyroxine, as well as Irbesatan. I take them both together at midnight, at the same time as my basal dose. I was always told to take them at leasts 2 hours after food, and 1/2 before as it's slow acting and can be absorbed by food instead of entering the system. They originally told me to take them in the morning but couldn't give me an answer when I asked about taking them at night (I wanted to take them with my glargine as I would sometimes forget them for weeks at a time). I asked on a health forum and lots of people take them at night - some even noticed improvements in doing so.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 15 different medications a day and as my current routine doesn't seem to have done me any harm and I've never been given specific instructions, then I'll just carry on. Who knows what sort of a mess I'll get into if i try to change now after so many years :)

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find Levothyroxine does nothing for me, so I use NDT instead. First dose in the morning while still in bed, then I get up and have a coffee or two and an hour or two later I eat. Afternoon dose while cooking dinner. Not on any diabetes meds, jet.

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any meds to control my type 2 but have been on thyroxine for a few years. I have read a lot of information over the years but a few months ago I found this site which may shed some light on this very discussion.

https://suite101.com/a/how-to-take-thyroxine-so-that-it-actually-works-a230666

Personally I take my tablets at night and it works well for me so I will keep doing so.