When to throw in the towel?

janie3294

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a little over 3 weeks ago. At the time I was already taking clonidine (for high bp), crestor, lasix, and potassium. My endocrinologist added the following

Metformin the dosage was a step up dosing ending up at 500mg tablets 4X a day. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I am now at max dose.

Victoza: the dosage also increased from .6 per day to 1.8 which is where I am now.

Trilipix: 135mg per day

Vit D: 50,000 units per week

It wasn't too long, maybe a day or two before I started feeling queasy (big time...just can't spell the nauseous word). Then the stomach bug hit my house, so I thought it was that. Well since then I am over the stomach bug and the queasy feeling continues. It is so bad that I really can't do much, I do what I must do for my children and then back to the couch. I have had a day or two where i felt pretty good. From what I have read on these forums it seems more likely that it is the metformin than anything else. Has anyone else experienced this level of an upset stomach? Since my final increase of metformin was 2 days ago, should I hold on a little longer to see if this passes. Any experience and/or advice would be very much welcomed. The only good news so far is that I have lost about 6lbs, quite a bit of this I suspect is b/c I feel too sick to eat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Janie,

I don't know much about Metformin, but if it is causing you to feel unwell, make a appointment to see your gp.

Nigel

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
hi janie i was just reading your post, i am on victoza 1.8 and metformin i had awful nausia and bad stomachs then i was advised by somebody on here to try slow release metformin and also to take them right inbetween meals ( i used to take them before meals ) since ive done this i have been fine, i know everybody is different but i just thought i would try and help. :D t