Where did type 1s that use a pump put their attachment when bump appeared?

Nem716

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I put mine in my tummy and not sure where I'll put it when I get bigger. Not showing yet as only 6 weeks pregnant with my 1st.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use my tummy anyway so I didn't have that issue.

I use my thighs or the top of my bum. Bear in mind you may need a different set/cannula for a different body area. You may also find you need to adjust your basal slightly depending on what area you're using.

When pregnant and when not pregnannt my favourite area is my thighs - easy to see and easy to reach!

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nem716 I was thinking about this the other day, thinking of using my thighs but worried as I tried it once and absorption wasn't great so will need to work on my basal rates, also thinking of using my bum, tried that once and found it quite painful but I'll give it a whirl :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nem716 I was thinking about this the other day, thinking of using my thighs but worried as I tried it once and absorption wasn't great so will need to work on my basal rates, also thinking of using my bum, tried that once and found it quite painful but I'll give it a whirl :)

Placement is everything. i find the strip above my knickers (so right at the top of the bum) works well and isn't anymore painful than my tummy. When I first tried, I put the cannula lower down and it hurt a lot more.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Placement is everything. i find the strip above my knickers (so right at the top of the bum) works well and isn't anymore painful than my tummy. When I first tried, I put the cannula lower down and it hurt a lot more.

Changing site this afternoon so think I will try it there, thanks for letting me know :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Using my bum didn't work out so great, it didn't hurt, but I went from 6.3 when I put the cannula in to 9.7 2 hours later when I tested before my tea and correction didn't bring it down so moved to my hip which has brought bg back down will try again though, maybe it was just that cheek

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorty about that : ( I find I can't go to close to my hip on my bum or right up close to my spine. When I first started using my bum it took me a couple of weeks to hit the right spot. For me, that's a band above my knickers and only a few centimetres high.

When I was using Teflon cannulas, I found I needed a longer length in my bum than my thigh or tummy (17mm as opposed to 13mm) Now I use a steel cannula. I used to have to increase my basal ever so slightly too, but I haven't had to do that this time.

Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd say as I had problems to start with, but have gradually perfected my technique with experience.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worry about this too as I get older and develop the "Dad Bod"...oh wait, you meant "bump" as in pregnancy...never mind.