Where do thin people put their canulas?

letitia7778

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I've been on a pump for nearly a month now and I'm really struggling to find places to put it. I've got zero fat on my middle, no love handles and really lumpy sites on my thighs. Arm got no fat on them either. Anyone used their bum? I'm not sure if can sit on it, do I just stand up?! The nurse said its hard for slim people but are there any in here? I'm beginning to wonder if I can continue with the pump because of this......

Reactions: Snapsy

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had similar concerns to you and have been using a pump for around 18 months. I don't use my stomach at all, I use use my thighs - which I understand may not be an option for you, and my lower back/top of bum. I really don't have a lot of padding on my lower back/hips but there is just enough to comfortably put a cannula. My DSN always described where you should inject in your bum as the 'asda price bum slap' so the top outer section (hopefully that means something to you!) I find I have plenty of space there and you won't be sitting on it.

Reactions: glavesr

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @letitia7778 I'm on an Insight pump using Flex cannulas (plastic, 90 degrees), I'm slim and quite muscular, not skinny, and I use a 6mm cannula because I found very quickly that 8mm ones are just too deep and go into muscle.

I use my lower back for my cannulas, just above or below my waistband, and the sides of my lower back are the fleshiest. I find the back much more comfortable than the front, and I'm less likely to trip over the hosepipe than when it's on my tummy (my tummy is pretty wrecked from all those years of injecting, anyway!).

I've never tried my bum or my thighs, but after what you said about the ASDA bum slap, @fozzie84 , I'm tempted to give it a go! Thanks for the tip!

:happy:

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @letitia7778 - I also use 6mm flex cannulas like @Snapsy. I have once popped the cannula on my bum cheek & it did sting but was fine after the initial shock! I generally use top of my thighs, hip area or stomach. Good luck!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fairly thin type 1 here. I put my pump in my bottom, and dexcom in my stomach (would have put it in the bottom if it weren't for the pump, but stomach's working ok so far). I vary site placement a bit based on where damage from previous sites is, but in general I just aim for an area with some fat. They don't hurt/fall out when you sit on them - the only thing to watch out for is accidentally pulling it out when you pull your pants down!