Where to inject insulin?

eldender

I just started on insulin yesterday. The nurse told me to do it on the side of my stomach. I did it for the first time, and got a decent sugar reading (6.3) 1 hr after eating. I found I had issues getting the 90 degree angle and also am not a fan of injecting into my stomach when pregnant. I am almost 27 weeks, so I expect it'll only get tighter in that area.

I used my thigh last night for dinner, bedtime and again this morning. It seems to hurt a bit more (not a big deal) but most importantly, my readings aren't as good! My dinner was borderline (7.8 ), waking was too high (5.8, needs to be under 5.3) and after breakfast was just 9.8....yikes!

Any advice? Could I be putting it in wrong and not absorbing it or something?

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump this post up so that it can be seen. Hopefully a Type 1 will answer.

eldender

This sure is a slow section of the forum! If anyone can suggest another forum with more regular users with gestataiona diabetes I'd really appreciate it!

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
eldender said:
I just started on insulin yesterday. The nurse told me to do it on the side of my stomach. I did it for the first time, and got a decent sugar reading (6.3) 1 hr after eating. I found I had issues getting the 90 degree angle and also am not a fan of injecting into my stomach when pregnant. I am almost 27 weeks, so I expect it'll only get tighter in that area.

I used my thigh last night for dinner, bedtime and again this morning. It seems to hurt a bit more (not a big deal) but most importantly, my readings aren't as good! My dinner was borderline (7.8 ), waking was too high (5.8, needs to be under 5.3) and after breakfast was just 9.8....yikes!

Any advice? Could I be putting it in wrong and not absorbing it or something?

hi,

I dont have any advice as to injecting near a pregnant belly as i've never been pregnant, but i can offer some tips generally about injecting :)

When i used to inject (i use a pump now) it was advised to inject fast acting insulin into your stomach as it absorbs it faster, and long acting into your legs or bum as it takes longer, so that may explain why you had a few hiccups with your readings after using your thigh.

What size needle do you use? i smaller needle may make it easier to use your belly to keep having good readings which is obviously paramount when pregnant with diabetes. you can get 4mm needles, this also may make it less painful if you do use your legs too.

It's not generally recommended anymore without being shown properly but you can use your upper arms. I wasn't taught this and i was diagnosed in 2009, where as other people with diabetes who have been diagnosed longer will use the arms as they were taught and it works for them.

Remember you can inject round near your hip area, not just a fleshy part near the middle. I can imagine it must get more difficult as your bump grows.

Remember with the thigh injecting, try it a few times before you completely rule it out as non-effective.

Hope this helps a little and maybe prompts a few more responses from someone who was in the same position your in.

Good luck :)

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi eldender,

I hope you and bump are doing well. I am 18 weeks pg and type 1, I've always injected in my tummy and still do, but like ebony mentioned, I use the 4mm needles. I do inject to the side of my tummy now, not because I'm scared of prodding baby but because I developed a few lumpy areas.

I understand if you're uncomfortable injecting in your stomach but there is no harm. When you inject anywhere make sure you count to 10 before taking the needle out again, so you get every single drop!

All the best. Jessie. x

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi I've just seen this post, so apologies if no longer any use!

I was advised to inject into my upper arm when I was pregnant. I did this using the back of a chair to rest my arm on and reached round with my other arm to inject. I did this throughout my pregnancy and didn't experience any problems with reaching round to inject or differences with my blood sugars. The only problem I experienced towards the end of my pregnancy was with hard spots, but I managed to find other spots on my arm to use.

I am type 2 and had good sugars before becoming pregnant.

I hope your pregnancy is going well! :)

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Volorg,

Out of interest do you know the reason your were advised not to inject in your tummy?

Jessie. x

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting - and good to know - thank you!!

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi Jessie, sorry I wasn't given an explanation and I had lots of spare tyre on my tummy! If you r not sure, go back to your doc/nurse for more info and support.

Good luck!
Jane :wink:

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are injecting it yourself,the most convenient places are your stomach,thigh and butt.But remember,it is not to be injected deep.If you are using insulin syringe with super fine 30 G short needle,keep the needle as flat as possible while injecting to achieve better absorption.If you are using insulin pen,the needle is short enough to deliver the medicine at sub cutaneous level even when injected in an upright position.However the best absorption is achieved when injected anywhere in the stomach region.But please don't inject it inside the naval.