Which is worse to have? Diabetes or Epilepsy?

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Obviously both are unpleasant conditions but which would you say is most dangerous? I appreciate that people here might not know a lot about epilepsy so I might not get much answers

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it will depend on the degree of each condition or the frequency of the attacks

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Far too many individual factors to consider to be able to comment in any valuable way. You may ask whether diabetes or crossing the road is more dangerous. For what it is worth, and entirely subjectively speaking I would rather be diabetic than epileptic...but that isn't just about what's dangerous. Then again I am aType 2 diabetic who has things reasonably under control...Type 1 is a whole new fun ball game. Neither of the conditions you ask about are a walk in the park...and both are potentially lethal. I chose to take a risk of diabetes from treatment following a kidney transplant rather than simply go on dialysis three days a week for the rest of my life. I am sure many people here have more than one medical condition...and whether one is more dangerous than the other, they get one with how it is. To be honest..and not trying to be cheeky..it's a futile kind of question, no?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read numerous times a keto, vlc diet can help epilepsy. As well as debates. Maybe you can minimize both going keto? Your own research and care team opinions would be best. Diabetes is hard enough, then throw in epilepsy... very tough. Sorry you're going through this

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Obviously both are unpleasant conditions but which would you say is most dangerous? I appreciate that people here might not know a lot about epilepsy so I might not get much answers

Good morning @kmtech Neither are fatal and I have friends who have lived with both conditions for over 30 years,Bungee jumping is dangerous ;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Do you have epilepsy?

I'd say they were both unpleasant and can cause potential issues, but it would depend on so many factors eg if the person with epilepsy has a warning of seizures, what type of seizures they have, the cause, how well-controlled it is, etc etc

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I couldn't say regarding long term effects, but in the short term looking at severe cases - at least diabetics can test blood sugar to some degree without having to rely on awareness... there's no quantitative way to test for impending epileptic events (without a pocket-sized MRI!)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think this is an impossible question to answer. Both conditions vary hugely in their severity and expression, so comparisons simply can't be done.

I am very wary of anyone suggesting that any one condition or type of condition is 'worse'. This simply isn't true. There are people who haven't had an epileptic siezure for so long that they are symptom free for years, and people with diabetes who reach 50 years after diagnosis without complications. But that doesn't give the whole picture. Some diabetics only get a diagnosis after complications are already severe, and some epileptics have seizures every day.

The only certainty is that both conditions need to be taken very very seriously.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some who have the milder petit mal form of epilepsy aren't even diagnosed until they have a bad accident. My father was one of these people.

Edit: Sorry, I posted this before I was finished. :rolleyes:
Likewise some diabetics wait far too long to be diagnosed.
Whichever of these dreadful conditions you have, once you have been diagnosed you can start to deal with it. It's the wondering before the diagnosis that is the worst in my opinion.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On a personal note .. as far as I know and I may be wrong here .. but epilepsy is a condition that you have little chance in being pro active in controlling .. whereas diabetes you can be proactive in monitoring your sugar levels and treating according .. so if I had to choose to have one or the other .. I think I would rather have diabetes

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @kmtech

This is my personal opinion: I have both conditions.

My epilepsy was a great concern, right up until I became diabetic, but now I hardly think about it.

I did worry about seizures and even death (there's a rare condition called SUDEP Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy which can strike randomly), but other than taking my medication it had little effect on my life. It bothered me more when I was young, but as time went on and drugs improved, it became less of a problem. It does affect others dramatically, if they're at risk of frequent seizures. I suspect the main cause of death is from injury - I've had seizures and hurt myself in the fall: it would be possible to fall into the road or something.

Now I'm measuring my BG, taking (great) care what I eat, counting carbs, injecting insulin, exercising regularly, etc and I have the risks from hypos/hypers if things go wrong. The dangers from diabetes are well documented (both short term from hypos and DKA, and all the long term damage from high BG levels). I.e. @Enclave is right: it's possible to control Diabetes.

Unfortunately, you don't get to choose which illness you want (and some people end up with multiple conditions) :-(

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really can't see the point of the question and what information will be gleaned by any answers offered.
Diabetes let's not forget comes in many forms with different treatments and effects people in so many different ways.
I have no real experience of epilepsy but would not be surprised if like diabetes it affects people to a lesser and greater degree depending on the individual.
For me the generalisation of the question makes it impossible to answer.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Epilepsy if you want to drive. Automatic ban from driving until no seizure for 12 months. No automatic ban on medical grounds unless hypos are a problem. However a new diagnosis wouldnt give an automatic ban with diabetes.

Day to day with either illness can be difficult or manageable. Depends upon treatments and lifestyles for both.

vs123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What a bizarre question! I have both, but neither bothers me. I have travelled the world, both alone and with friends, hold down a good job, and live independently. Live your life Don’t let either condition control you but live sensibly! This kind of question puts people with either condition in a category which could stigmatise them and prevent them from enjoying a full and rewarding life, free of labels such as ‘she can’t do that, she has epilepsy/diabetes’!