Prediabetes Which meter to buy?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi newly diagnosed and I would like to buy myself a meter. I have no clue what I am looking for and there seems to be a lot of choice!

Can anyone tell me what they use and how successful they are. Do you have to buy the same strips for a particular meter or are there generic ones out there?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All meters have to comply with the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed.
Replacement strips can only be used with the meter for which they were intended. No generic ones.
The meter with the cheapest replacement strips is the Codefree, which is why it is so popular on this forum. I use it and it is a good little meter.
Many meters are given away free. Don't be fooled. The strips will be exorbitant.
Always check on the cost of replacement strips before you buy. You only need one meter but you need hundreds of strips.

The Codefree isn't available in pharmacies. You have to buy it on-line. The suppliers are https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ There is a discount code if you buy replacement strips in bulk. They also sell them on Amazon.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Hope this helps.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All meters have to comply with the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed.
Replacement strips can only be used with the meter for which they were intended. No generic ones.
The meter with the cheapest replacement strips is the Codefree, which is why it is so popular on this forum. I use it and it is a good little meter.
Many meters are given away free. Don't be fooled. The strips will be exorbitant.
Always check on the cost of replacement strips before you buy. You only need one meter but you need hundreds of strips.

The Codefree isn't available in pharmacies. You have to buy it on-line. The suppliers are https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ There is a discount code if you buy replacement strips in bulk. They also sell them on Amazon.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Hope this helps.

Yep I've got one of these, I'd also add for you to buy some extra strips and a box of lancets when you buy the meter as the amounts of both that come with the starter pack will not last you more that a couple of days if you are doing a lot of testing

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that is extremely helpful!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi newly diagnosed and I would like to buy myself a meter. I have no clue what I am looking for and there seems to be a lot of choice!

Can anyone tell me what they use and how successful they are. Do you have to buy the same strips for a particular meter or are there generic ones out there?

Hi,

I'm type 1 diabetic and I've got the Accu-check Aviva Expert which I find is brilliant! I don't know what's the difference and what the other meters have that this one doesn't but on my meter you can see reports, so it shows like a line graph of your readings over 90 days so you can see how you've been doing.

My strips are free on the NHS with prescription.

Hope this helps and I hope you find the one that suits you best! :happy::woot:

martinput

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a i-Sens Tees2 meter, it was given free by my GP practice diabetes nurse even though I'm Type 2. I think she did so as she knew I was a former nurse and would be keen to manage my newly diagnosed diabetes in a responsible manner.

The meters are also given away free by the on-line supplier Spirit Healthcare:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

The test strips are good value at £7.75 for 50 and lancets at £3.99 for 100

Don't forget to declare yourself as Diabetic when ordering as you do not have to pay VAT in that case.

You can link the monitor to the PC with the free PC lead offered and download the management software free from the same location. I use this in particular to print off reports to show my diabetes nurse when I attend for check ups. You can also get free record books from Spirit Healthcare if you'd rather keep a traditional paper record.

My GP practice give out these meters as they are free and the test strips are cheap when they prescribe them to patients.

PS her belief in me was justified as my Hba1c fell from 102.4 on first diagnosis to 32 three months later. Diet, Exercise, Metformin and daily fasting blood glucose monitoring all contributed to that progress.

I am a firm believer that Type2 diabetics should have free access to meters, test strips and lancets.

But until that is recognised and allowed I will continue to use Spirit Healthcare for my supplies.

Martin