whiskey

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Kentishman
I am a pedant too..... :D Also a Scotch Whisky drinker. (Glenfiddich 18+ year old Whiskies)

Today, the spelling Whisky (plural Whiskies) is generally used for Whiskies distilled in Scotland, Wales, Canada, and Japan, while Whiskey is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and America.

Ken. :wink:

inwales

suzi said:
mmmm, Bushmills over ice, even better the distillery isn't far from where i live, and a hot toddy of Coleraine whiskey with lemon and cloves works great for colds.
Cheers, Suzi x

Any good for swine flu?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
What will alcohol do to you as a diabetic? It depends. Here's the simplest explanation I could come up with ... if you drink beer, fortified wines (like port) or non-diet mixers with spirits, and certain other drinks like alcoholic cider, your BG will initially soar.

However, as your liver cuts in to deal with the alcohol you've consumed, your supplies of glycogen (stored in the liver) cannot be utilised at all - your liver is too busy coping with alcohol. When the alcohol kicks in to give the BG-lowering effect depends on the person, what they've eaten, their alcohol and insulin tolerance levels, body size, activity etc.

The liver is busy doing the work of processing alcohol, so it can't produce much glucose while it is ridding the body of alcohol. While it is doing that then Bg levels will fluctuate.

So I would say - go ahead with your glass of Port (small) I do !! Moderation is the keyword here. :D

Ken.

Jo123

Ken,
So normally I drink red wine, now I love champagne (when I get the chance) and have actually avoided it because I understood it had more carbs but on your reasoning I should be ok, is that correct. The thing is champagne doesn't give me a hangover whereas red wine gives me an absolute stonker if I drink too much! Which I don't do too often but hey you've got to live!
Jo

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Jo.
Naah, Champagne :shock:

Champagne is high carbs, high sugar and high alcohol. I wouldn't touch it at all. I never said for you to drink the stuff. My reasoning isn't the same as yours ? :?
Anyway a hangover is nothing to do with your Bg levels. It is more to do with the quantity you consume and what is actually in it. Some wines have a certain substance in which some people react to in a bad way. My sister in law is hellish after a glass of a well known Red wine (she's hellish anyway :twisted: ) yet can drink you under the table on other brands. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I'm with you on the living BTW. :D

Ken.

Jo123

Thanks Ken, shall mainly stick to the red wine, but I will try a few glasses of champagne and test myself!
Jo

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Tonight is the night, I will pour a very small port and sprawl on the sofa with it, decadence indeed :oops: , thank you to all concerned for their advice, especially Ken! :D :D :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
OMG. I'll be getting the sack....encouraging drinking and decadence. :shock:

What the heck.....just enjoy. Have some chocolate too. You only live once. :D :lol:

Ken.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Kentishman,
Hate to correct you, but the scottish spell it Whisky, and the Irish spell it Whiskey, and as most Americans always claim to have Irish roots, then i guess thats why they spell it our way. (I'm in Northern Ireland) plus i have 3 bottles of Bushmills in the cupboard :D
All the best,
Suzi x

inwales

suzi said:
Kentishman,
Hate to correct you, but the scottish spell it Whisky, and the Irish spell it Whiskey, and as most Americans always claim to have Irish roots, then i guess thats why they spell it our way. (I'm in Northern Ireland) plus i have 3 bottles of Bushmills in the cupboard :D
All the best,
Suzi x

Suzi

How come somebody with 3 bottles of Bushmills has to live so far away from Wales....

Si

Serial45

i'm a huge fan of brandy, particuarly remy martin XO and XIII (still have a bottle of XIII that i have the occasional glass of a few times a year, costing me £900 i've made it last).

I find it also has similar effects on my blood sugars, but I drink very rarely, I may get drunk once a month if that.

I also really like wine, mostly Red wine(chateau neuf du pape anyone?) and dry white (pino grigio wine).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Remy Martin XIII......OMG :shock:

Never been able to afford that. :( Still the XO is really good, that's all I can afford. Please tell me if XIII is worth the price difference ?

I just want to know what I am missing. :cry:

Ken.

Serial45

cugila said:
Remy Martin XIII......OMG :shock:

Never been able to afford that. :( Still the XO is really good, that's all I can afford. Please tell me if XIII is worth the price difference ?

I just want to know what I am missing. :cry:

Ken.

it is nice, and the bottle is amazing, it tastes much more flavoursome, unsure whether I'd buy it again as it is a lot of money, kind of a whim I went on when on holiday :).

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
I am prepared, at great personal cost, :D :D :D to check this out.
inwales said:
suzi said:
mmmm, Bushmills over ice, even better the distillery isn't far from where i live, and a hot toddy of Coleraine whiskey with lemon and cloves works great for colds.
Cheers, Suzi x

Any good for swine flu?

PickledPepper

Finally. A ray of sunshine in the gloom.....thought I'd never be able to drink again.

So when is the best time to have a shot of Jamesons folks?

I'm guessing after the evening meal? Does it matter if we take it with food?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pickled pepper, Just make sure the sun is over the yard arm :lol: .I like a single malt when I can afford it ,its best to drink with or after food.CAROL

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
cugila said:
Hi Jo.
Naah, Champagne :shock:

Champagne is high carbs, high sugar and high alcohol. I wouldn't touch it at all. I never said for you to drink the stuff. My reasoning isn't the same as yours ? :?
<snip>

Ken.

Just wandering past, but I assume that this is tongue in cheek?
Just pulled a bottle of champagne out of the cupboard and it is Brut (which means dry as in not much unfermented sugar) and 12% alchohol which means it is no stronger than your average bottle of wine.
The only difference AFAIK is the final fermentation in the bottle to give it all those bubbles.

Much better for you than all that cheap stuff with anti-freeze in it ;-)

Noted that wine bottles do not have a nutrition label on them so we can't see how many carbs per 100ml.

Oh, and as it wasn't chilled I put it back again 8)

Cheers

LGC