Whisky

guru125

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello i'm new to the forum and i have a question as i'm going to drink whiskey tomorrow night. Is drinking whiskey with diet coke safe and will it not bring my sugars up ? tnx

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diet coke wont but to my knowledge alcohol is a bit weird it raises your blood sugars and then they drop, so I don't think you take extra insulin with alcohol. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally the advice is don't bolus for alcohol. Spirit with diet mixer shouldn't raise levels. Take it slow drinking something you aren't used to, try to alternate a whiskey with a water. Make sure the friends you are with know you are diabetic and know what to do if you hypo. Make sure to test before bed and have a carb snack to go to bed with. When your liver is busy processing alcohol it won't do a glucose supply overnight like it normally does - so you might drop low in the early hours of the morning. Treating a hypo when you are hungover could be rather a challenge.

Last edited:

iansilv65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello i'm new to the forum and i have a question as i'm going to drink whiskey tomorrow night. Is drinking whiskey with diet coke safe and will it not bring my sugars up ? tnx
Drinking whiskey will reduce your blood sugar level (a doctor told me this), but remember that alcohol is empty calories, always eat when drinking alcohol and drink only one