Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I now live in a very safe constituency.
Thirty years ago, I grew up in a safe Tory seat (at the time!)
No one believed that it would change.
We had a government minister as sitting MP.
A general election came along in '79 (I think!)
Against all the odds, Labour toppled the MP. (Against the trends) (first ever Labour win there)
That constituency now is a safe Labour seat despite the then Tory government changing the boundaries, which affected the nearby constituency, which has been labour since the last two general elections.
My area voted remain because the whole of the Merseyside area knew and benefited from the eurozone because all the projects were played for by the Eu!
The Tories especially under Thatcher and Major ignored the area and left it to rot away, we scousers don't forget these things!

Of course we get many Europeans to visit our great area, thanks to a couple of decades of stability under local government dominated by Labour, despite the ever increasing reduction in money from Westminster.
We welcome them all especially the Germans, despite them bombing our chippies!

I grew up in an area heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe, and suffered some horrendous
damage to the docks area and high casualties.

I found out as a child that Merseyside was the second likely target for attack if we went to nuclear war!

I hid under my desk in school!

Voting Labour in 79 certainly bucked the trend. That was the election Thatcher got in admid a lot of "winter of discontent" media. Does that play with the general disgust at how certain elements of the media misrepresented the Hillsborough disaster? Our nearest city was Birmingham but we used to go shopping in Liverpool for special items. In fact in 1981 that was were we went to look for my wedding dress and my dad who had been based in Liverpool Monday to Friday told us how badly hit the area had been due to some economic factors I cannot recall at the moment.

I think most people accept the war was a very long time ago and have moved on. I find it quite disconcerting when 11 year old tell me we are now ready if the Germans "ever invade again"!! Bear in mind apart from the Unis the big employer is Indian owned JLR with a German CEO! Lol

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When growing up, the number of ships that used the docks in the sixties was enormous. Then by the late seventies and early eighties with containerisation, the builders, the miners and the downturn in actual employment, the number of ships totalled very small.
The city was deprived of work and ignored by the Tories!
Hence the Toxteth riots!
There was also the poll tax which hit the city hard!

I must admit I was very fortunate to have my job, though, my wages were cut and my shifts were altered.

Not many scousers enjoyed that time.
I also got married in '81!

D

Deleted member 308541

DB8OnWGUwAAgtlx.jpg

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
When growing up, the number of ships that used the docks in the sixties was enormous. Then by the late seventies and early eighties with containerisation, the builders, the miners and the downturn in actual employment, the number of ships totalled very small.
The city was deprived of work and ignored by the Tories!
Hence the Toxteth riots!
There was also the poll tax which hit the city hard!

I must admit I was very fortunate to have my job, though, my wages were cut and my shifts were altered.

Not many scousers enjoyed that time.
I also got married in '81!
Congratulations on 36 years of time served. Not that we do anything ourselves other than a meal to celebrate. Not so long until the Ruby though. I sort of remember the Docks they were massive and very busy. Then there was a big garden festival and then it became a cafe area with art gallery. As you can tell I only have a superficial image. I was bought up in Solihull which was ROVER. Every family had someone who worked at Rover. We would watch the carpark with trepidation. When the car parks were full there would be a strike and only strike pay until the surplus stock was sold and manufacturing could begin again. Still solid Tory. She was minister for GM and increasing water bills until she made such a hash of selling off the forests even the press had had enough of her.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Classic. May has moved from calling the snap election has devine inspiration on a walking holiday showing the path to demonstrating she is a strong and stable leader to "juncker made me to do it; boo hoo, nasty Europe". Still no mention of the 20+ Tory Mp's who may have had to restand because of the slight ahem discrepency in their election campaign spending.

Now Gove in charge of the environment!!!! Ah well it didn't stand a chance anyway since 2010 minimal spend on renewables, 1/3 organic land lost, Leadsoms fracking interests, Spelmans GM interests, Pattison banning open source seeds, sale of forests, Glypho, neoncotinoids, 60 year cropping to destruction bearing in mind certain crops do 4 harvests pa - that is much sooner than forecasted climate change to destruction plus the culls, shoots and hunts. I forecast more fed up organic plot holders.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read today, one of them like 38 degrees that do on line petitions ((clearly left wing) that have said the underlying reason for brexit was because the EU were bringing in legislation to curb tax havens and limit tax avoidance in member countries!

That would explain an awful lot of why the right wing of the Tories wanted brexit!

Do I believe it! Of course!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Voting Labour in 79 certainly bucked the trend. That was the election Thatcher got in admid a lot of "winter of discontent" media. Does that play with the general disgust at how certain elements of the media misrepresented the Hillsborough disaster? Our nearest city was Birmingham but we used to go shopping in Liverpool for special items. In fact in 1981 that was were we went to look for my wedding dress and my dad who had been based in Liverpool Monday to Friday told us how badly hit the area had been due to some economic factors I cannot recall at the moment.

I think most people accept the war was a very long time ago and have moved on. I find it quite disconcerting when 11 year old tell me we are now ready if the Germans "ever invade again"!! Bear in mind apart from the Unis the big employer is Indian owned JLR with a German CEO! Lol

I haven't mentioned Hillsborough, and I'm not going to describe what the feelings were back then and since. Call it a cover up, conspiracy, whatever, it was, and no amount of criminal proceedings or apologies could even scratch the surface of what we were accused of!

There is a mistrust of anyone in government, even worse if your Tory! Our recent local MPs (Labour) have been outstanding especially the now two mayors of Manchester and Liverpool, I wish Andy Burnham was Labour leader, he would have won!
I knew people who were there and a friend of a friend died!

There are still, those, who made decisions that day, that are still around. Some in government or part of the cover up! Unbelievable!

The rag I won't say it's name is not wanted or needed around here, it is scrum!
The paper should have gone the way of the other Sunday paper that was disgraced.

Anything to do with Murdoch is just as bad!

I work in football and it is banned at all Merseyside clubs. It because it is football, should be banned from all football grounds!

I remember the car strikes, I was involved in a thirteen week strike in '79.
The government made the company stick it out despite the incredible losses it was taking then from missed sales. The government agreed to write off certain things and future funding for the next car if they didn't move t he factory.
We had a reasonable request for in line with inflation pay rises and fundamental working rights.
You never guess what, they agreed to do this the following two years after the strike.
Funny that!
It has always been the next plant to close!
It has now been sold to Renault I think!

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read today, one of them like 38 degrees that do on line petitions ((clearly left wing)
NOT so.
that have said the underlying reason for brexit was because the EU were bringing in legislation to curb tax havens and limit tax avoidance in member countries!

That would explain an awful lot of why the right wing of the Tories wanted brexit!

Do I believe it! Of course!
If it was a factor it would be very marginal at best.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't mentioned Hillsborough, and I'm not going to describe what the feelings were back then and since. Call it a cover up, conspiracy, whatever, it was, and no amount of criminal proceedings or apologies could even scratch the surface of what we were accused of!

There is a mistrust of anyone in government, even worse if your Tory! Our recent local MPs (Labour) have been outstanding especially the now two mayors of Manchester and Liverpool, I wish Andy Burnham was Labour leader, he would have won!
I knew people who were there and a friend of a friend died!

There are still, those, who made decisions that day, that are still around. Some in government or part of the cover up! Unbelievable!

The rag I won't say it's name is not wanted or needed around here, it is scrum!
The paper should have gone the way of the other Sunday paper that was disgraced.

Anything to do with Murdoch is just as bad!

I work in football and it is banned at all Merseyside clubs. It because it is football, should be banned from all football grounds!

I remember the car strikes, I was involved in a thirteen week strike in '79.
The government made the company stick it out despite the incredible losses it was taking then from missed sales. The government agreed to write off certain things and future funding for the next car if they didn't move t he factory.
We had a reasonable request for in line with inflation pay rises and fundamental working rights.
You never guess what, they agreed to do this the following two years after the strike.
Funny that!
It has always been the next plant to close!
It has now been sold to Renault I think!
There are still serious unanswered questions about the role of South Yorkshire Police in Hillsborough, Orgreave and the Rotherham sex abuse scandal.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be the influential politician with no seats, then, wouldn't it? And while we're at it, no influence either.

Unfortunately the actual holding of seats bears no relation to the level of influence. As far as I can see the only reason we ever had a vote to leave the EU was because the conservative party was attempting to appease a groundswell of UKIP voters emerging across the entire country led by Farrage. That vote was significant but not enough to command a first past the post majority practically anywhere- which is extraordinarily difficult in an essentially two party democracy.

The government consistently underestimated the depth of feeling at that time and has failed to do so even now. Having actually achieved exactly what it set out to do there is no reason for the continued existence of the UKIP so the collapse in its vote is entirely understandable, it does not mean its policies or underlying support have gone away, simply moved to whichever the holder of those views now believe best supports his next highest set of priorities after independence.

This vote took place after the country already opted for independence - the fact that candidates even bothered to stand on a platform of independence just serves to show the extent to which people will cling onto a role that has become utterly pointless. Their " drubbing " at the polls this time has in my opinion very little to do with the " revenge of the remainers" and very much more to do with the fact that they already won their goal and have never pretended to have a platform for much else.

Having the DUP demand that Nigel Farrage is on the negotiating team as a price to pay for them effectively now holding the balance of power over the entire country, pretty much demonstrates my point.

The DUP has recognised, even if no-one else is prepared to admit it, that the remaining support which the conservatives have, will be bolstered by having all of those previous UKIP voters who made the " surprising" swing to Labour - still in the government camp. Every Labour politician who just got in and saw a surprise boost from ex-UKIP members and therefore owes his seat to people who voted to leave the EU will be entirely conscious of that.

In those circumstances I would have been very surprised if Farrage had not been offered a role going forward - with or without the " DUP" having suggested it. All of this is entirely playing into his hands.

I am not at all surprised the man is the "go to "favorite for the media, they can see history being made too.

I cannot stand the man, or his policies, however I can recognise influence when I see it and frankly its not pleasant to watch.

Whatever comes next, in two hundred years time, Farrage will be recognised as having made a huge change in this country - for good or ill and that has already happened.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not surprised! You wouldn't normally vote to make yourselves poorer, understandably. Strangely, Wales, another poorer area of the country, did decide it could manage without the £245m net gain it got from the EU. The poor voted to make themselves poorer. Strange times, and all largely unfathomable.

In America, the poor voted for a billionaire who's prime policies are designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer but who saw a huge leap in popularity driven by anti immigration policies .

We certainly seem to have a wake up call in both countries that many people want to blame their own lot in life to some other poor person trying to make the best of their own lives by keeping them our of "their country". If that involves giving their vote and their health to a billionaire who has never demonstrated much empathy for anyone but himself, its clearly a price worth paying .

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In America, the poor voted for a billionaire who's prime policies are designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer but who saw a huge leap in popularity driven by anti immigration policies .

We certainly seem to have a wake up call in both countries that many people want to blame their own lot in life to some other poor person trying to make the best of their own lives by keeping them our of "their country". If that involves giving their vote and their health to a billionaire who has never demonstrated much empathy for anyone but himself, its clearly a price worth paying .
I find it staggering that people fall for the populist nonsense. Trump has introduced cuts for the people who voted for him; and Republican baby killers have tried to destroy Obamacare. One estimate is that scrapping it will cost around 50,000 lives a year.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't that why millions of youth voted for Corbyn?
I don't use social media myself, apart from this excellent forum of course. My daughters tell me that apart from abuse there was also a lot of false information on Twitter and Facebook that could have influenced the voting. As an example I noticed several people on here who seem to have been convinced the Tories would privatise the NHS as soon as they were re-elected.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't that why millions of youth voted for Corbyn?
I don't think he was actually saying anything that he knew to be untrue, unlike Trump, Johnson and Gove. I may be wrong. I think they voted because of falling living standards due to reckless austerity; and because they wanted optimism for a change. There was nothing appealing about the more of the same misery message.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't use social media myself, apart from this excellent forum of course. My daughters tell me that apart from abuse there was also a lot of false information on Twitter and Facebook that could have influenced the voting. As an example I noticed several people on here who seem to have been convinced the Tories would privatise the NHS as soon as they were re-elected.
We need to be wary of any misinformation spread on the Internet on social media. Online political advertising is completely unregulated during the election campaign and can easily poison our democracy, if wealthy individuals can effectively buy the election.