Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just goes to show if you vote Tory you get the ghost of Ian Paisley
John Major has expressed his concerns today. He wouldn't touch them and I'm not sure May should either.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
John Major has expressed his concerns today. He wouldn't touch them and I'm not sure May should either.
I agree it can't do much good with regard to getting power sharing working again in NI. Imho the risks are way too high to take just to save a few political skins. I'm no Theresa May fan but I'd rather she tried to make a go of it as a single minority government.

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree it can't do much good with regard to getting power sharing working again in NI. Imho the risks are way too high to take just to save a few political skins. I'm no Theresa May fan but I'd rather she tried to make a go of it as a single minority government.
I think that is the best option for the country at the moment; although there must be doubts about whether she can find a consensus way forward on the issues. The economy was the slowest growing in G7 & EU28. Real wages are falling.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would probably hand the balance of power to the SNP.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think he was actually saying anything that he knew to be untrue, unlike Trump, Johnson and Gove. I may be wrong. I think they voted because of falling living standards due to reckless austerity; and because they wanted optimism for a change. There was nothing appealing about the more of the same misery message.
That's probably true but some of them aren't old enough to remember nationalised industries and pre Blair labour governments, which were hardly utopian.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's probably true but some of them aren't old enough to remember nationalised industries and pre Blair labour governments, which were hardly utopian.
I'm of the view that natural monopolies should be in the State sector where there is at least some control and accountability. Private sector monopolies have no incentive to be efficient if they dominated the marketplace, in the absence of proper competition. An alternative would be to introduce a State player into the market to supply the competition required. It would not be necessary, or even necessarily desirable to have the whole industry in Public Ownership. I believe that Nottingham council has its own not for profit energy company, but I'm not sure how good it is.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If she had been a secret member here, then its unlikely she would have been in quite the mental state she was. From the commentary it doesn't sound like she's discovered the benefits of low carbing quite just yet. If it is high blood sugars that caused the car crash interviews, then she has been campaigning with sky high figures. Its so sad that getting the message across to people seems to be so difficult .

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In reply to some obvious left wing extremists, I have never bought a copy of the daily mail or been on their web site, my information on Corbyn and Abbots IRA links came from the BBC.
And what about Mother Theresa's new BFF's the DUP? And "Left wing extremist"? Bit desperate, arn't we?

Last edited:

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Losing the NHS is going to hit us hard but there are many nations in the world were the average citizen has no access to healthcare.
So do something about it then. You know what to do. Don't be defeatist - together, we CAN make a difference.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And what about Mother Theresa's new BFF's the DUP? And "Left wing extremist"? Bit desperate, arn't we?

Certainly, the links between the DUP and so-called "Loyalists" will hardly be mentioned anywhere, I think you will find, because it doesn't suit the narrative that certain newspapers are trying to put across.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
So do something about it then. You know what to do. Don't be defeatist - together, we CAN make a difference.
I want the NHS but everytime the subject is raised it is hushed by that "we do not discuss politics and religion" cliche usually by people expressing the most right wing of views. :). Pre election How many times do you see discussion about the NHS closed down by the rather odd statment "it would be electoral suicide"given the laws that actually have been passed without debate. The same goes for other topics. I do not want hunting with dogs to be legal or OK with the authorities who currently turn a blind eye to it. Not even for rats which is the animal species that creeps me out the most and seems to be one of the most protected. I despair at peoples capacity for self delusion, ability to discern facts from marketing cliche and inability to question what they see and hear. Even when they know £millions have been spent on placing advertising and false memories.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use social media myself, apart from this excellent forum of course. My daughters tell me that apart from abuse there was also a lot of false information on Twitter and Facebook that could have influenced the voting. As an example I noticed several people on here who seem to have been convinced the Tories would privatise the NHS as soon as they were re-elected.
That is not false information - it is true. Just ask Richard Branson how many contracts Virgin Care has recently been awarded? Don't forget, private companies are only in it to make a profit - profit which should be being spent on patient care and services instead of being salted away in an overseas tax haven. IT IS OUR MONEY - WE WANT IT SPENT ON US! And have a look at this -

upload_2017-6-14_12-57-3.png

I want the NHS but everytime the subject is raised it is hushed by that "we do not discuss politics and religion" cliche usually by people expressing the most right wing of views. :). Pre election How many times do you see discussion about the NHS closed down by the rather odd statment "it would be electoral suicide"given the laws that actually have been passed without debate. The same goes for other topics. I do not want hunting with dogs to be legal or OK with the authorities who currently turn a blind eye to it. Not even for rats which is the animal species that creeps me out the most and seems to be one of the most protected. I despair at peoples capacity for self delusion, ability to discern facts from marketing cliche and inability to question what they see and hear. Even when they know £millions have been spent on placing advertising and false memories.
Well unfortunately, I won't be hushed. And the more people that refuse to be browbeaten, the more chance of the truth getting out there and being understood. The ferocious villification of Jeremy and Diane by the rabid right-wing press was an absolute own goal. Enough people saw through the lies to tip the balance against the pedlars of smear and untruth. Enough people now realise that what they read in the papers is simply propaganda, pure and simple. Hopefully, enough people will stop buying trash like the Stun and the Daily Heil to inflict real hurt the owners of those organs. So it's important to get out there and talk to people. Only in this way can ordinary people stand up to the vested interests that are currently running the show.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want the NHS but everytime the subject is raised it is hushed by that "we do not discuss politics and religion" cliche usually by people expressing the most right wing of views. :).
That is because they want to express their opinions, but want to close down the discussion to prevent you expressing yours.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And what about Mother Theresa's new BFF's the DUP?
The media hasn't yet said anything about the DUP's long record of support and involvement with 'loyalist' terrorists.
They were recently involved in siphoning off £5m of UK taxpayers money to loyalist paramilitary groups:
Government gave UDA-linked groups £5 million of taxpayers' money
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/government-gave-udalinked-groups-5-million-of-taxpayers-money-35121805.html

All this will come out in time. I wonder how much of the money for infrastructure spending in NI, obtained by the DUP for propping up the Conservatives, will be laundered through loyalist building contractors into the coffers of the DUP and paramilitary groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10