Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The media hasn't yet said anything about the DUP's long record of support and involvement with 'loyalist' terrorists.
They were recently involved in siphoning off £5m of UK taxpayers money to loyalist paramilitary groups:
Government gave UDA-linked groups £5 million of taxpayers' money
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/government-gave-udalinked-groups-5-million-of-taxpayers-money-35121805.html

All this will come out in time. I wonder how much of the money for infrastructure spending in NI, obtained by the DUP for propping up the Conservativs, will be laundered through loyalist building contractors into the coffers of the DUP and paramilitary groups.
Oh they have, when it was first raised - there was something discussing that the DUP grew out of the UVF. I think there are concerns about the DUP in a lot of places.

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
That is a long list of people and groups whose names I do not know but that does sound as if their magic money tree is already paying out.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good grief. The point most people miss is that Privatisation (by both Labour and the Conservatives) removes democratic oversight and accountability. Commercial contracts with private firms are not covered by the FOI Act. The Public cannot know what terms have been agreed and would have great difficulty in exposing wrong doing or negligence; on the other hand, a Secretary of State can still be dragged before Parliament to explain himself and why things went wrong on his watch.

Reactions: Prem51

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Good grief. The point most people miss is that Privatisation (by both Labour and the Conservatives) removes democratic oversight and accountability. Commercial contracts with private firms are not covered by the FOI Act. The Public cannot know what terms have been agreed and would have great difficulty in exposing wrong doing or negligence; on the other hand, a Secretary of State can still be dragged before Parliament to explain himself and why things went wrong on his watch.
Judging by the follow the money principle of every privatisation or right to buy I can think of I rather suspect most people have a very poor understanding of primary accountability being to the shareholders not the customer or staff, maths and economics. Since the money going to the "staffline or whoever" agency is only the taxpayers it does not count. It is after all important to reward the purchaser for being entrepreneurs, risk takers and a business that finds work for people. To be fair May did commit to selling underused NHS assets before the election so it is "the will of the people".

Last edited: