Who has been Keto/ VLC the longest?

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people. Donald Trump! lol
Hey everyone! Your pain in the backside Yank here. I posted in the past that I do believe I have reactive hypo. Blood sugars tank during workouts and will watch my bs slowly drop into the 60/70 mg/dl range several hours after I eat. I am considering going KETO or VLC. I am just wondering, who has been KETO/ VLC the longest?

Sincerely,
Your Over Paid and Over Sexed Yank! Thank God I am not over there! LOL

Also just wanted to add this, ate a meal of 29g pro, 30g carbs, 10g fat, checked bs at 45mins post eating, was at 97 or 5.3mol, did 20 mins of yoga stretching, watched bs go to 70mg/ dl or 3.8mol! This thing is getting freaky!

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey everyone! Your pain in the backside Yank here. I posted in the past that I do believe I have reactive hypo. Blood sugars tank during workouts and will watch my bs slowly drop into the 60/70 mg/dl range several hours after I eat. I am considering going KETO or VLC. I am just wondering, who has been KETO/ VLC the longest?

Sincerely,
Your Over Paid and Over Sexed Yank! Thank God I am not over there! LOL

Also just wanted to add this, ate a meal of 29g pro, 30g carbs, 10g fat, checked bs at 45mins post eating, was at 97 or 5.3mol, did 20 mins of yoga stretching, watched bs go to 70mg/ dl or 3.8mol! This thing is getting freaky!

I think I've been in ketosis more or less three years!
I know that I have had small spikes, and maybe a little lower than normal because I have felt it rather than tested for it.
My last dramatic hyper was a few months ago after an apple. Strangely this has not happened before or since diagnosis. My last serious hypo was my last eOGTT in hospital.
I can't believe that since diagnosis, my health has improved so much. Due to the very low carb diet I'm enjoying.

This was posted by a scouser who is over here, under paid and under the bonnet of your car to get away quickly from those nutters in the states!
Can't believe you have such an idiot as president!
Mind you we are just as bad with May!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to do low carb for a long time - have managed it for long periods between being discovered by my doctors - all went ballistic about it, but I first lost weight eating a low carb diet in my early 20s. I am 66 now.

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I know that I have had small spikes, and maybe a little lower than normal because I have felt it rather than tested for it.
My last dramatic hyper was a few months ago after an apple. Strangely this has not happened before or since diagnosis. My last serious hypo was my last eOGTT in hospital.
I can't believe that since diagnosis, my health has improved so much. Due to the very low carb diet I'm enjoying.

This was posted by a scouser who is over here, under paid and under the bonnet of your car to get away quickly from those nutters in the states!
Trust me, I didn't vote for either goof ball. Lol I voted for Gary Johnson. A little crazy himself, but better than the other two. Before the britex , I was considering moving to Britain. I have visited before, I really liked it there. Only time I had any trouble was in London. My brother and I got chastised for drinking a session beer during the day time hours. What was that all about?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
25+ years. Diabetic for 3 now so LONG before DX

Started with Atkins induction and never looked back

Reactions: psychod787

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
25+ years. Diabetic for 3 now so LONG before DX

Started with Atkins induction and never looked back
I have read that a high fat diet can cause insulin insensitivity. I have also read that low carb high fat improves sensitivity. Do you think the Adkins diet had anything with you developing your dm?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read that a high fat diet can cause insulin insensitivity. I have also read that low carb high fat improves sensitivity. Do you think the Adkins diet had anything with you developing your dm?

You read all sorts because no one can justify what you should or should not eat.
It is such an individual thing because of your heritage, personal likes and dislikes and most importantly how your body reacts to the stuff you put down your throat!
The best way ahead is to test and experiment on the foods you like and then eliminate the ones that makes your blood glucose levels go too high.
I believe that I'm close to getting my balance of carbs, protein and good fats (saturated) as close as I can, to allow me to have a really healthy lifestyle.

I have been all around Europe but not the states.
I think brexit is such a bad idea!
It's a power grab by the establishment!
London has become a target for Isis and certain restrictions are necessary. So you shouldn't be surprised by the unusual circumstances.
I was down south close to London two weeks ago and going down again tomorrow.
There is fear in the capital mate!
You should have come to Liverpool, there is always a good night to be had!
There are other places like Newcastle, Manchester, where the welcome is friendly for those Yankee dollars you lot carry.

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I
You read all sorts because no one can justify what you should or should not eat.
It is such an individual thing because of your heritage, personal likes and dislikes and most importantly how your body reacts to the stuff you put down your throat!
The best way ahead is to test and experiment on the foods you like and then eliminate the ones that makes your blood glucose levels go too high.
I believe that I'm close to getting my balance of carbs, protein and good fats (saturated) as close as I can, to allow me to have a really healthy lifestyle.

I have been all around Europe but not the states.
I think brexit is such a bad idea!
It's a power grab by the establishment!
London has become a target for Isis and certain restrictions are necessary. So you shouldn't be surprised by the unusual circumstances.
I was down south close to London two weeks ago and going down again tomorrow.
There is fear in the capital mate!
You should have come to Liverpool, there is always a good night to be had!
There are other places like Newcastle, Manchester, where the welcome is friendly for those Yankee dollars you lot carry.
Am thinking about traveling again. I will have to keep that in mind. I don't drink much, but if the entertainment is lively, and the ladies friendly, I am up for anything. I have traveled Europe as well. Nice to see the different cultures, though I believe that they are getting watered down and becoming more American like. You should come to the states my friend. We are not all that bad. I am from the South Eastern US. Some of the people can be loud and opinionated, but they are very welcoming of guest. They will show you great hospitality, and usually are polite until they are and enough to kill you!

Reactions: Lamont D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually definitely NOT. I think it prolonged the LADA DX.
As far as insulin sensitivity I take 1/2 ( yes one half ) unit 4 times a day with meals and one unit lantus. I don't think it gets more sensative than that.

I can't keep bg steady with carbs and they make me feel like rubbish. I eat very healthy foods. Vlc paleo.

I will say animal fats make me more resistant but I still eat lean lamb chops and lean beef but most of my fats are plant fats. Lots of avocado, olive oil, mayo, olives and luv nuts and seeds.

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Actually definitely NOT. I think it prolonged the LADA DX.
As far as insulin sensitivity I take 1/2 ( yes one half ) unit 4 times a day with meals and one unit lantus. I don't think it gets more sensative than that.

I can't keep bg steady with carbs and they make me feel like rubbish. I eat very healthy foods. Vlc paleo.

I will say animal fats make me more resistant but I still eat lean lamb chops and lean beef but most of my fats are plant fats. Lots of avocado, olive oil, mayo, olives and luv nuts and seeds.
That's where most of my fats come from anyways. Olive oil, walnut, almond. High monounsaturated, and poly unsaturated. Lean. Chicken and turkey, almond butter. Natural peanut butter. I actually have up most carbs for over a year and a half during weight loss. Problem is I ate too much pro, and not enough fats. So giving up breads and sugar has been easy. Even now on my so called lower carb diet, I eat virtually no sugar, little fruit, most of my sugars come from the carbs I eat. I was glad to give up sugar. While maybe not the devil, it is not too good for you. I am hoping low carb/Keto will help me control rh and stop unwanted fat regain. I need to go through a bulking cycle to gain some lean mass back, and am hoping to minialize fat gain. I also like Paleo, when you give up the carbs, your diet almost becomes Paleo, unless you eat nasty prepackaged foods, like most people on a SAD!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was just wondering why you asked this question, was it because you wanted to know if both diets are sustainable?

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I was just wondering why you asked this question, was it because you wanted to know if both diets are sustainable?
Yes. I went fairly low carb during weight loss. I am just seeing real world people doing something. Not some subsidized study.

Reactions: Guzzler

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And presumably not a competition either?? :D

I've managed to eat reduced carbs since i was diagnosed at the end of November 2013, and have eaten a serious low carb/ketogenic diet for most of the time since then. I find it easy and and treat it as a "lifestyle" rather than a "diet". I lost a lot of weight initially and have maintained that loss within a kilo or two either way... But most importantly as far as I'm concerned, I've managed to reduce my glucose levels and keep them down low with very few spikes, and have come off my diabetics medication and some of my non diabetic ones too.

Robbity

PS My GP has been very supportive, and actually suggested Atkins as a way to lose weight...

rehab1171

rehab1171

I am RH for years. It occured to me too, my BS would spike to the roof from an apple or a strawberry, something that wasn't happening before moving to LC/ketosis. I was on low carb for approx a year and then ketosis for additional 3 months. My BS was stable, had energy and aost forgot hypos. I lost lots of fat but also lots of muscles. Then suddenly it stopped working, my BS was constantly low ( 3.8-4.2), no energy, bad mood, weak memory. So I switched to mid- carb diet, I get hypo with any food if not eating frequently, I put all weight back + 18 kg and I am weak, and all other RH symptoms . I wonder why did we became extra sensitive aferr going LC/Ketosis, and how to make LC works again?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am RH for years. It occured to me too, my BS would spike to the roof from an apple or a strawberry, something that wasn't happening before moving to LC/ketosis. I was on low carb for approx a year and then ketosis for additional 3 months. My BS was stable, had energy and aost forgot hypos. I lost lots of fat but also lots of muscles. Then suddenly it stopped working, my BS was constantly low ( 3.8-4.2), no energy, bad mood, weak memory. So I switched to mid- carb diet, I get hypo with any food if not eating frequently, I put all weight back + 18 kg and I am weak, and all other RH symptoms . I wonder why did we became extra sensitive aferr going LC/Ketosis, and how to make LC works again?

I can only come up with these reasons.
by reading your other posts, if I have read it right, you are still eating some carbs, it maybe only a few a day about 50g a day but it does depend on how carby/starchy they are. Going carb free is how I've coped.
Your circulating insulin with your insulin resistance may still be giving you too much insulin, weight gain is related to excess insulin.
You could have developed T2 or another condition due to the long time you have battled with RH.
You do seem to be as intolerant as I am, so having to use intermittent fasting and other similar reductions in meals and what you eat,both should have the knowledge now what the triggers are. If you are not sure, if you do a longer fast and your by God's into hypoglycaemia levels then it is not rh! Have you had a 72hour fasting test?
The time you have gone through this, you will have become more hypo aware. The symptoms are a warning that something isn't right. If that is the case, then more diagnostic tests are necessary.
Take care.

rehab1171

I can only come up with these reasons.
by reading your other posts, if I have read it right, you are still eating some carbs, it maybe only a few a day about 50g a day but it does depend on how carby/starchy they are. Going carb free is how I've coped.
Your circulating insulin with your insulin resistance may still be giving you too much insulin, weight gain is related to excess insulin.
You could have developed T2 or another condition due to the long time you have battled with RH.
You do seem to be as intolerant as I am, so having to use intermittent fasting and other similar reductions in meals and what you eat,both should have the knowledge now what the triggers are. If you are not sure, if you do a longer fast and your by God's into hypoglycaemia levels then it is not rh! Have you had a 72hour fasting test?
The time you have gone through this, you will have become more hypo aware. The symptoms are a warning that something isn't right. If that is the case, then more diagnostic tests are necessary.
Take care.

rehab1171

Yes, I do have some whole grain and vegetables , that was the advice of my endocrinologist after putting me on Victoza, also frequent meals and not to go below 4 with Libre.
I was diagnosed not only by symptoms but also by glucose tolerance test and level of insulin in the blood. I did may other tests to rule out tumors and autoimmune diseases. Yes, also reading some of your other posts made me thinks we suffer more or less the same. I will definitely try again to go keto and double check my Libre reading with finger pricks before I break my keto. I will update again. Thanks!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will repeat what my advice is regarding your meds. It is whatever meds you are on , the victoza, the carbs, the other starchy,,carby foods that are causing your issues.

rehab1171

I will repeat what my advice is regarding your meds. It is whatever meds you are on , the victoza, the carbs, the other starchy,,carby foods that are causing your issues.
Thanks @Lamont D !!! Today I am embarking on low carb/keto journey again thanks to sharing your experience and also others who commented or posted earlier. This time I will try to eat lots of veggies hopefully I will avoide that terrible low energy and hypos I suffered when I tried to go back to LC. I wasn't eating enough veggies may be..?! I will see this time, I am eating tomatoes and carrots at least just to pass the shift from medium to low carb. Will update and will share my experience. Great not to feel alone on that!!! Have a nice week.

Reactions: Speedbird