who knew it was so hard to get cough medicine

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well my 9 year old son has developed a nasty cough so i thought i better pop to the supermarket and find a cough medicine now i have bought some before so i dont know why it was so hard this time, i looked on all the shelves in tescos with no luck they were all full of sugar so i went to asda which also had no sugar versions so i asked at a pharmacy and after 10 mins of deliberating with the pharmacist we found a no added sugar cough syrup for 6 to 12 yr olds it had sweetner but to my delight it stated on the bottle for diabetics and listed how many grams of carbs were in a 5ml spoonful which i thought was fab but why do they not make more no added sugar medicines it was a nightmare to find

anna marie

millymole

Please dont laugh, but you may want to try onions. A vouple of onions unpeeled sliced into quarters placed in a dish and left in the room really does help to soothe a nighttime cough.
During the day I use a concoction of aromatherapy oils rubbed into the chest 3 or 4 times daily.
I hope the boy feels better soon.
Regards
MM
Plenty of fluids as well.

mattjones

hi,most doctors will tell you that most cough mixtures dont work,i have always believed this aswell,i just add some warm water to juice and tell my daughter to sip it

iHs

A really good cough medicine - Pholcodeine . You can get a sugar free version and it's excellent in supressing most coughs :wink:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Ivy -Thyme complex by Vogel it is a herbal mixture it works every time
CAROL

ClaireG 06

That ivy- thyme complex is very good Carol isn't it. I took it when i had pneumonia and that and steaming were the only things that really helped my chest.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Pretty well all medications are sugar free in Australia. I get so surprised reading the trouble you have in the UK. I think it is the dental profession that makes certain produsts sugar free here.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
its funny u mention pholcodine as we were eventually given by the pharmacist benylin childrens dry cough syrup pholcodine lol never seen it before tho and they got it from behind the counter the only other sugar free version we found was for 3mths to 5yrs so was no good age wise for dylan

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The larger chemist chains normally have a good selection of cough mixtures, I always check regardless if they are safe for people with diabetes with all medications, hope his cough improves soon.

Nigel

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never bought cough linctus, cough medicine or anything like that. As a child, I didn't have diabetes, but our mum was a nurse at Colony Holidays, who had an infallible method of detecting true sore throats in her own or client children: she offered hot salty water gargles, rather than anything sweet. Anyone with a genuine sore throat discovered that gargling with hot salty water relieved pain for at least 30 mins to 1 hour. I continued to use the technique long after I left home.

Unicornz

millymole said:
Please dont laugh, but you may want to try onions. A vouple of onions unpeeled sliced into quarters placed in a dish and left in the room really does help to soothe a nighttime cough.
During the day I use a concoction of aromatherapy oils rubbed into the chest 3 or 4 times daily.
I hope the boy feels better soon.
Regards
MM
Plenty of fluids as well.

My mum always used to do this when I was a kid and had a cough or cold; she popped a little dish with sliced onion next to my bed. It really does work!

cjw

Pavacol D for tickles and Robitussin chesty coughs sugar free. Though as previous post not guaranteed to cure the cough but sugar free!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all the benylin we bought seems to have done the trick the cough has eased loads infact i didnt hear dylan cough once last night :D

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad Dylan's cough is getting better.

As a general note, if you use cough mixture it's really important to get one for the right type of cough. That is, if it's a tickly cough get a mixture for that (which reduces coughing). If it's "chesty" (coughing stuff up) get one designed for that (which promotet coughing and loosens the mucus). Using the wrong type makes things worse and the cough will last longer.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks sue i spoke to a pharmacist when getting the medicine and they asked all the questions about what type of cough it was before i bought the one i got cough completely gone now so something worked all fit and healthy ready for the football tournament the weekend now :D

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's good news.

I guessed the pharmacist would've gone through the type of cough with you, just wanted to raise it for others as a general point. People don't realise how important it is.