Whoops. Lantus Mistake!

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
first thread on here so dont know if its in the right place but i thought this is as good a place as any.

i have done the wrong dose of Lantus tonight. i normally do 22 in the morning and 15 at night but tonight i have done 22. can't really remember if there's a procedure to follow when this happens so a little bit paranoid. however i am feeling ok.
my guess is to test and try stay awake for a while, maybe eat a snack.
what would you do?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm guessing so ring a 24/7 helpline and they may suggest some carbs and a feed of meat and fat which should digest in 3-8 hrs

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
turns out i've got really high bloods too. just to confuse things further lol. struggling to keep eyes open but it might be a long night :-/

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit uncomfortable because I'm T2 ring a 24/7, but what do you bolus in carbs for 7 units, you could eat twice the carb grams in protein because protein gives about half glucose and digests slower and add a bit of fat

Reactions: 2 people

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks, that is very helpful. ive only just learnt about carb counting really and find it hard to think about naturally.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also set the alarm every 2-3 hrs to keep an eye on it overnight

bmtest

Hi it wont be the only mistake you will ever make it happens with everthing its how you counter it that matters. First off look at the prifile of Lantus
http://www.lantus.com/images/hcp/charts/lrg_6.1.4_5.png then take into account your blood sugar level and use your past results to base your action evasive action on it. You have basically taken 7 units extra it's not that much but if in doubt have digestives a bowl of shreddies with milk and get a good nights sleep.

I once took 16 units of novorapid instead of Lantus before bed with realising luckily I woke with seconds to spare just made it downstairs to the kitchen it was the longest hypo I had ever had.

good luck

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have done this before, easily rectified; just eat some high carbs / sweets. I usually have a lucazade by my bedside table or glucogel. I then set my phone alarm for 3 hrs time and test again.

With me personally i have found that Lantus barely does anything for 3-4 hours then suddenly kicks in immediately almost acting like Humalog at 4 hrs. (weird i know)

Good look.

Regards

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks guys. it seems that nothing happened (yet?) and i feel fine, if not a little too high. going to be more careful next time though ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
thanks guys. it seems that nothing happened (yet?) and i feel fine, if not a little too high. going to be more careful next time though ;)

Easily done and I'm sure wel have all given the wrong basal dose at some point.

There's devices now that fit on the end of insulin pens that tell you how long it was since you last injected, wouldn't have been any use in your case but it's great for those times when you doubt if you have taken your insulin or not, here's the website for one such device:

http://timesulin.com/

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Easily done and I'm sure wel have all given the wrong basal dose at some point.

There's devices now that fit on the end of insulin pens that tell you how long it was since you last injected, wouldn't have been any use in your case but it's great for those times when you doubt if you have taken your insulin or not, here's the website for one such device:

http://timesulin.com/

yeah i was literally talking with my s.o about timesulin when i did the wrong dose hahaha. im definitely tempted to get a couple.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
yeah i was literally talking with my s.o about timesulin when i did the wrong dose hahaha. im definitely tempted to get a couple.

What QA insulin do you use, if you use Novorapid you can get a pen called NovoPen Echo which has a memory device built-in and also doses in half units, I use it and it's a very good pen, just ask your gp to prescribe one :)

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What QA insulin do you use, if you use Novorapid you can get a pen called NovoPen Echo which has a memory device built-in and also doses in half units, I use it and it's a very good pen, just ask your gp to prescribe one :)

i use Humalog which i have been using for a long time. if Novorapid is different i probably will stick with the Humalog, though that pen looks really helpful.