Prediabetes who's right?

millymitz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
a short while ago early morning TV had a lady talking about diabetes and a picture of an appropriate breakfast came up as 2 Weetabix and a banana. The diabetes nurse at my surgery gave me a leaflet where I can see Weetabix OR a banana ( for myself it wouldn't be a nana but strawberries and toast or Weetabix and strawberries) seems I haven't even managed to start the day right lol!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Neither is right, certainly not banana, cereal or toast. Stick with bacon/egg/tomato/mushroom or maybe a few berries and full-fat Greek yoghurt.

Reactions: 4 people

millymitz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Neither is right, certainly not banana, cereal or toast. Stick with bacon/egg/tomato/mushroom or maybe a few berries and full-fat Greek yoghurt.
oh lovely thanks the greek yog is very much missed ( as is the honey on top) because I thought I couldn't have it. I am thinking perhaps I am confused because I am trying to watch fat / sugar instead of carb oh my!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh lovely thanks the greek yog is very much missed ( as is the honey on top) because I thought I couldn't have it. I am thinking perhaps I am confused because I am trying to watch fat / sugar instead of carb oh my!
If you watch sugar and carbs and fill up on fatty things you'll probably see much improved blood glucose. Possibly weight-loss too, should you need it.

Honey is extremely high in sugar. That said, it also seems to have health benefits, that is, locally produced unpasteurised honey if have it raw and in small quantities. I must admit to a teaspoon of organic honey now and then, either with Greek yoghurt or with tahini.

millymitz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you watch sugar and carbs and fill up on fatty things you'll probably see much improved blood glucose. Possibly weight-loss too, should you need it.

Honey is extremely high in sugar. That said, it also seems to have health benefits, that is, locally produced unpasteurised honey if have it raw and in small quantities. I must admit to a teaspoon of organic honey now and then, either with Greek yoghurt or with tahini.
oooh can have fatty things now that's a first. I adore my olive oil, being a northerner the things I should be watching are our staple foods............ batter and bread TOGETHER of course ...served with a large dose of chips. all meats come with bread unless with Yorkshire pudz. with mashed spuds AND roast spuds and roast parsnips no wonder I'm a fat bird with health probs oh dear

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the Yorkshire pudding won't do you any good, nor bread, chips or potatoes in any shape and form, nor bread and batter. I find celeriac a good potato sub but mostly go for vegs with lots of olive oil or butter.

Have a look at this site. http://www.dietdoctor.com/

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There is no right or wrong breakfast for anyone and especially not for everyone, it is up to the individual to find out what they can eat for breakfast, lunch and diner that will see their bg levels returning towards your pre meal levels after 2 hours.

If that is a breakfast cereal like weetabix that many diabetics eat for breakfast without problem thats fine if it is yoghurt and strawberries thats fine too but its up to you to find out what is right for you, no one else can decide for you or tell you what you should be eating and dont listen to anyone who tries, what is OK for one person may send another into hyperglycaemic territory. Test everything you eat and if you are overweight lose weight as that is the best thing that you can do to reduce your insulin resistance, even those who are not overweight if T2 will have visceral fat and a weight loss diet will help reduce that unseen fat.

What I have found is the better my control was the better my insulin resistance became and the better my insulin resistance became the more carbs I found I could eat without seeing any major rise in my bg levels.

Test, test and test again and do all you can to lose weight or if already slim reduce visceral fat, that IMHO is the key to successful long term control.

Reactions: 18 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @millymitz welcome to the forum. Do you have your own meter? Wecare all individuals and by testing you can find out what foods suit you. I've found that there are some cereals, seeded breads and potatoes that I can eat within too much affect on my BS whilst other forum members cannot eat them at all. I can also tolerate small portions of pasta and rice provided that they are cooked, cooled and then reheated. However back to your original question you will probably find that bananas will raise your BS quite a bit as they have quite a few carbs in them; you may be able to eat weetabix but you will only know if you test!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Breakfast cereals for most of us are a no no.
I have porridge with a spoonful of coconut oil in it and if I have none in then a large tablespoon of butter with some half sugar sprinkled on top.
Bananas are usually for emergency get out from a hypo but about the worst fruit going for diabetics!
If it ends in berry it's usually good.
Many of us are on low carb high fat diets much against what the surgery advise.
My doctor has had to admit that I'm the success story at the surgery .... by ignoring them.
For me this kind of eating has as good as reversed my diabetes.
It's lowered my blood pressure.
Bad cholesterol down good cholesterol up and I'm three stone lighter.
Less medication too. Have a read of this ...... http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Trouble with a carb breakfast like weetabix is your hungry pretty soon after because your sugar levels have spiked then crashed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find bananas are a problem for most of us. I do have one or two a week but ensure I take enough insulin to cover and am aware that it could contribute to weight gain. Most of us will also find that carbs will raise blood sugar and as Sid says, the meter will tell you where you are on the spectrum.

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's exactly what I have, banana or strawberries and weetabix and my this keeps my sugar level, returning to pre breakfast sugar about 2 hours after. for me I can't have fruit and yoghurt because it causes a spike then crash! Think it's completely personal choice and knowing your own body.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's exactly what I have, banana or strawberries and weetabix and my this keeps my sugar level, returning to pre breakfast sugar about 2 hours after. for me I can't have fruit and yoghurt because it causes a spike then crash! Think it's completely personal choice and knowing your own body.
Good for you but you are on insulin, right?

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I find I'm good on porridge oats, cooked with water and a few cashews broken into it and a heaped tsp of ground cinnamon. It keeps me level and full till lunch, my second best is 2 Weetabix with a big dollop of 0% total Greek yoghurt and a little milk, again with cinnamon. I cant cope with the LCHF diet but I try to get by with lowish carbs during the day after my breakfast and it seems to work for me.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yeah bananas are probably not much of a problem if you are injecting.
A ***** for T2 though who has diet and tabs.

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I'm good on porridge oats, cooked with water and a few cashews broken into it and a heaped tsp of ground cinnamon. It keeps me level and full till lunch, my second best is 2 Weetabix with a big dollop of 0% total Greek yoghurt and a little milk, again with cinnamon. I cant cope with the LCHF diet but I try to get by with lowish carbs during the day after my breakfast and it seems to work for me.
"I was advised to use Ceylon Cinnamon with my porridge but use semi skimmed milk instead of water" works for me

millymitz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast cereals for most of us are a no no.
I have porridge with a spoonful of coconut oil in it and if I have none in then a large tablespoon of butter with some half sugar sprinkled on top.
Bananas are usually for emergency get out from a hypo but about the worst fruit going for diabetics!
If it ends in berry it's usually good.
Many of us are on low carb high fat diets much against what the surgery advise.
My doctor has had to admit that I'm the success story at the surgery .... by ignoring them.
For me this kind of eating has as good as reversed my diabetes.
It's lowered my blood pressure.
Bad cholesterol down good cholesterol up and I'm three stone lighter.
Less medication too. Have a read of this ...... http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Thanks for the link .....No bread/spuds kill me now! gave up drinking about 14 years ago cannot stomach it even if I fancied the taste, gave up smoking 3 years ago and could happily snatch the ciggies from passers by, giving up eating what is natural to me is so hard. I've eaten so much less because my bad diet is mostly bread cheese & spuds (fond of homemade rice pudding) that I feel stressed, tired and hungry/angry!

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I have found is the better my control was the better my insulin resistance became and the better my insulin resistance became the more carbs I found I could eat without seeing any major rise in my bg levels.

Test, test and test again and do all you can to lose weight or if already slim reduce visceral fat, that IMHO is the key to successful long term control.

I couldn't agree more with this! When I was first diagnosed, I couldn't eat any significant carbs (i.e. in double figures) at all without spiking me to ridiculous levels. However, I can now eat up to around 200g of carbs a day without any issues.

I have Oatibix with strawberries for my breakfast and a banana most afternoons and it's OK for me now whereas 6 months ago it would have sent my blood sugar into the stratosphere

As Sid says, there's no hard and fast right or wrong answer, just what's right or wrong for the individual and the only way to find out what you can and can't eat is to test and continue to test and whatever doesn't lead to your blood sugar spiking is the right thing to eat :)

millymitz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all of you thank you so much for the lovely welcome and advice. What a shock to find everyone's different so its about measuring levels which of course hasn't been talked about yet by my nurse because the diagnosis at present has moved to pre/borderline diabetes and till I came on here didn't even get that they meant the same thing!

Philjay50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
too much to mention
I am T2 and was diagnosed Januaruy 2013, having said that I still consider myself a newbe at this diabetes thing. The conclusion I have come to is that we are all different, and our bodies tolerate some foods and not others. My GP after my last two check ups said that my control was amazing Hb numbers were 40 and then 39. We discussed my situation and reduced my metformin by 50% and then after a couple of months did another test, 39. So, my diet, I eat oats with various berries and greek yoghourt for breakfast, often with bananas, I have potatoes for dinner. Rice and pasta kill my numbers. Fact is you never know until you try it. Quite often I will have the Morrison's weetabix for supper, or heaven forbid, Special K, I know that one is bad. I spend a chunk of my life in France and eat croissant and bagettes for breaky.
The point to all my rambling is, we are all different, try different foods and find things that will work for you, I am sure if I cut my carbs, less potatoes for example, my numbers will be lower, but I have to eat, and I like my food.

Last edited by a moderator: