Why cant I lower blood sugar

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks,

Does it stand to reason that if I did not eat for long enough my blood sugar level would reach zero? For some reason I have been on around 100 cals per day and my fasting is around 5.6 and about 6.4 - 2 hours post meals. I have even gone as far as eating only two meals per day now and it never seems to push below 5.6. One day I decided to starve myself and again it still did not go much below 5.5 - 5.6. I thought that with a high blood sugar the pancreas makes insulin. Well surely 24 hours of fasting would be enough to put bloods to zero if the pancreas is still working.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,

Does it stand to reason that if I did not eat for long enough my blood sugar level would reach zero? For some reason I have been on around 100 cals per day and my fasting is around 5.6 and about 6.4 - 2 hours post meals. I have even gone as far as eating only two meals per day now and it never seems to push below 5.6. One day I decided to starve myself and again it still did not go much below 5.5 - 5.6. I thought that with a high blood sugar the pancreas makes insulin. Well surely 24 hours of fasting would be enough to put bloods to zero if the pancreas is still working.

If your blood sugar was at zero you would be dead, or getting there. That's why your liver gives out glucose when you aren't eating to keep your blood sugar at a level your body is happy with. Perhaps your body has decided it wants to keep you at 5.6, that's a perfectly respectable fasting blood sugar when you consider a fbg between 4-6 is considered normal and non diabetic.

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Folks,

Why would you want a zero blood sugar level? :eek:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be thankful that your body is still working as designed.

A fasting BG of 5.5 isn't high or out of the ordinary and shows that your Liver is doing it's job properly.

Reactions: spook_kate_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

I can't get my number lower either lower than around 5.2 it seems ... and I am also on metformin 2x 850mg I Think my body has decided that my level is around 5 , if I want to go lower I believe I must fast for more days ... not even burning 3000 calories in exercise gets my numbers lower than 5. Once in a while I hit 4.8 or 4.9 But that is rare and seems only to be when I am also low calories like around 1000 calories

Before becomming diabetic I was always 4.5 when occasionally measured in random tests

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks,

Extremely low BG levels are dangerous. Your body needs energy to work, which it gets from BG. Even with fasting your liver provides your body with BG.

Your levels are quite reasonable. Why do you want to lower them further for no obvious gain?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a T1, I'm wary about venturing into a T2 question, but I'm an inquisitive little fecker so will do so anyway!

As other posters have correctly pointed out, you would be dead long before your blood sugar reached zero.

The easy question to ask is why would you want to have a zero blood sugar, but the fact you've even asked a question about zeroing suggests to me the answer is that you've seen a huge number of posts here more or less demonising carbs, their effect on readings, and concluded that it's logical to zero it.

I take my hat off to you guys/gals who do keto, lchf, fasting: each to their own and all that. Those options do seem to work very well for T2s. Indeed, as a T1, I occasionally end up as an accidental low carber: who could complain about some griilled lamb chops and asparagus? Still have my omelette on toast, though!

But the thing which concerns me a bit is that when a new poster signs up, whether they're T1, T2, or some of the other wonderful variations on those themes, the overwhelming response is often a screed of posts that, "ok, mate, just do lchf, and you'll be fine."

That might be perfectly correct for T2s, but two problems:

First, the OP seems to have interpreted that as meaning carbs are so bad, so evil, that he/she is starving to try to zero. Serious misunderstanding of basic body chemistry going on there which could result in death. Should the lchf crew qualify their advice to make it clear that there's a difference between what carbs you eat, and what glucose is in your stream? The demonising of carbs which any reader of this site has seen blurs the difference.

Second, as I've said above, I'm an occasional low carber, but I recall when I was first dx'd and told I'll need several injections each day for the rest of my life, that was a bit of a head-f*ck on it's own, and it would have put me over the edge if I was then told that, by the way, I can never eat any carbs again. Yet, I've seen a fair few posts here immediately recommending an lchf diet to newly dx'd T1s, from T2s! Lchf is a choice we can all make further down the line, but I'm not sure it's proper to suggest it to a newly dx'd T1 when they've got enough to get their head round already.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Your levels are pretty good. If you push them too low you'll be risking having a 'hypo'.
upload_2017-4-29_21-0-0.png

Reactions: amey_13

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1, I'm wary about venturing into a T2 question, but I'm an inquisitive little fecker so will do so anyway!

First, the OP seems to have interpreted that as meaning carbs are so bad, so evil, that he/she is starving to try to zero. Serious misunderstanding of basic body chemistry going on there which could result in death. Should the lchf crew qualify their advice to make it clear that there's a difference between what carbs you eat, and what glucose is in your stream? The demonising of carbs which any reader of this site has seen blurs the difference.
Hi Scott, you've made some cogent comments. Personally I wouldn't presume to proffer advice to a T1D as I know next to nowt about that condition. However I would quibble with your comment regarding the difference between carbs consumed and glucose levels as there is a demonstrable positive correlation. I know that the glucose in my blood is directly influenced by the quantity of carbohydrates I consume and if I wish to keep my BG down to a reasonable level I need to limit my carb intake.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Folks,

That's the beauty of the storage cells in liver, other organs and muscles. They excrete glucose to keep us alive in times of famine.
Once he eat carb or protein your stores are refilled. In fact they may fill more or dump more, in my opinion.
Starvation can slow our metabolism slower. Always has!

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,

Hi Sheepie123,
I understand how you feel. As an example I have stayed well below 20 carbs today and followed a low blood sugar diet recipe this evening . Ate quite early too only to find my blood sugar rising to 7.4 after 2 hours. Yes I know we are all different but when you read how some eat and and still maintain 4 to high 5s without meds, it can be really disheartening and you wonder if they are in fact diabetic. Who knows how the body works. And yes, I know that under 7.8 is good. And yes I know it's not a competition but you just get days when you try hard, exercise and it just stays high and I stay hungry. So I'm going to bed early in the hope that it will be better tomorrow.
Maybe someone can cast some light. X

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

As other posters have correctly pointed out, you would be dead long before your blood sugar reached zero.

The easy question to ask is why would you want to have a zero blood sugar, but the fact you've even asked a question about zeroing suggests to me the answer is that you've seen a huge number of posts here more or less demonising carbs, their effect on readings, and concluded that it's logical to zero it.

I take my hat off to you guys/gals who do keto, lchf, fasting: each to their own and all that. Those options do seem to work very well for T2s. Indeed, as a T1, I occasionally end up as an accidental low carber: who could complain about some griilled lamb chops and asparagus? Still have my omelette on toast, though!

But the thing which concerns me a bit is that when a new poster signs up, whether they're T1, T2, or some of the other wonderful variations on those themes, the overwhelming response is often a screed of posts that, "ok, mate, just do lchf, and you'll be fine."

That might be perfectly correct for T2s, but two problems:

Second, as I've said above, I'm an occasional low carber, but I recall when I was first dx'd and told I'll need several injections each day for the rest of my life, that was a bit of a head-f*ck on it's own, and it would have put me over the edge if I was then told that, by the way, I can never eat any carbs again. Yet, I've seen a fair few posts here immediately recommending an lchf diet to newly dx'd T1s, from T2s! Lchf is a choice we can all make further down the line, but I'm not sure it's proper to suggest it to a newly dx'd T1 when they've got enough to get their head round already.
As a type1 you get intensive support and carb guidance to be started on insulin injections. Type2s don't. They get given the info they are now diabetic and left mainly to their own devices. Type2s need tools to bring down their serioysly high bgs. This forum fills that time gap of sometimes years before a type2 gets decent support.
Don't begrudge them that support. A decent start like you got automatically!

Reactions: NatJS

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Sheepie123,
I understand how you feel. As an example I have stayed well below 20 carbs today and followed a low blood sugar diet recipe this evening . Ate quite early too only to find my blood sugar rising to 7.4 after 2 hours. Yes I know we are all different but when you read how some eat and and still maintain 4 to high 5s without meds, it can be really disheartening and you wonder if they are in fact diabetic. Who knows how the body works. And yes, I know that under 7.8 is good. And yes I know it's not a competition but you just get days when you try hard, exercise and it just stays high and I stay hungry. So I'm going to bed early in the hope that it will be better tomorrow.
Maybe someone can cast some light. X
Like I've said. Some only have a few bad/wrong fat cells which prevent their metabolism working well. Others like me and @Brunneria have bad resistance!

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi Folks,

100 calories a day ?!!

Reactions: Freema

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks,

The reason I want lower is so that I can reverse T2 and stop complications and I'm worried that anything over 6.5 is dangerous so i think if I was 4.0 or 3.0 I'd be in a safe zone with buffer.

I know most say that I'm in normal range but that's with metformin 2 x 500mg fast acting.

I don't want zero but I'm wondering why if I starved myself I can't reach a lower number.

Some say its the body's level but what causes my body to want to settle at a higher glucose level.

I looked at bariatic surgery and gastric sleeves which put blood sugars to 1 or 3 so I'm wondering what does surgery do that I can't do myself.

On a side note I'm nearly 30 and due to have T2 a long time so I am considering

1) baratric surgery
2) gastric sleeve
Or
3) pancreatic transplant

The second I get a single complication I won't let this horrible disease beat me. At least with cancer there's active research to try and cure it.

I notice absolute no trials for T2 to actually cure it as opposed to treatments

Reactions: ickihun

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a type1 you get intensive support and carb guidance to be started on insulin injections. Type2s don't. They get given the info they are now diabetic and left mainly to their own devices. Type2s need tools to bring down their serioysly high bgs. This forum fills that time gap of sometimes years before a type2 gets decent support.
Don't begrudge them that support. A decent start like you got automatically!

My doctors haven't even put me on a diabetic eye screening ***. My doctor I've lost trust in him... He said I had borderline and I ignored him because for years he was calling me fat. Heck he even ordered a second hba1c 1 week later so he could have the two tests say that I was diabetic since then I've heard nothing. This form is more a doctor. Can't wait for dietician who will basically call me a fat ******* at 18 stone then tell MD to east carbs lol

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If your BG falls much below 4 and certainly below 3 you are risking a hypo.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think if I was 4.0 or 3.0 I'd be in a safe zone with buffer.

On medication that can lower blood sugar, such as metformin, under 4 isn't considered a safe zone, it hypoglycaemic.

Why on earth would you be considering a pancreas transplant if the only medication youre taking is metformin so you patently are producing your own insulin. Putting a transplanted pancreas into you won't make you not be insulin resistant. It will mean undergoing a surgery with a 2% mortality risk and 8% risk of serious complications as well as immunosuppressants that significantly increase your risk of kidney damage and skin cancer.

I looked at bariatic surgery and gastric sleeves which put blood sugars to 1 or 3 so I'm wondering what does surgery do that I can't do myself.

Can you please share a link to wher you have seen bariatric surgery putting blood sugar to 1 or 3? Those are dangerously hypoglycaemic readings, not readings to be aspired to.