Why did the rigors come on so quickly?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Last Wednesday I had a late breakfast (about 11 am) so lunch was also late (about 4 pm) then went out for a drive about 5.30 pm. About 8 pm we were heading home when I felt that my BS might be getting low so I ate 2 sweets. 5 minutes later I knew that I was going to HYPO so I pulled off the road and almost immediately started to shake violently (rigors). There was NONE of the usual warning signs: hunger, sweating, blurred vision, headaches, etc. I ate a lot of peanuts, drank milk, ate 2 more sweets and rested for 30 minutes. Feeling OK I set off towards home and 10 minutes later felt the rigors coming on again - so we pulled off the road again whilst my wife went to buy me sausage and chips and a can of soda. After eating I rested again for about an hour and then headed home feeling OK.

On Thursday I slept late and woke about 11 am to find that my middle toe right foot had a large blister which was weeping. Feeling exhausted I slept most of Thursday (except for eating) and was vomiting in the evening. Friday I felt no better so I contacted the Doctor who prescribed Antibiotics and got the nurse to bandage my toe. On Saturday I still felt "under the weather" and it was the evening before I felt anywhere near normal.

This week I feel fine - but not straying far from home - and I now have to visit the surgery twice a week to have my toe dressed.

Does anyone have any ideas why the rigors came so suddenly? It has never happened like this before.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes both my eyes go a bit hazy when driving so I assume it is my BS getting low and I just eat a sweet, or two, and it clears. I then find somewhere to park and eat something before carrying on my journey. I usually either eat something, or make sure my BS is a little higher than normal, before going on a journey. Unfortunately, sometimes I forget to take my meter and testing kit with me - perhaps I should keep a spare kit in the car.

I have another problem of getting "floaters" in either eye when reading - but again sweets tend to cure the problem. I was never really a "sweet eater" before becoming diabetic 20 years ago.

Last Wednesday I had a late breakfast (about 11 am) so lunch was also late (about 4 pm) then went out for a drive about 5.30 pm. About 8 pm we were heading home when I felt that my BS might be getting low so I ate 2 sweets. 5 minutes later I knew that I was going to HYPO so I pulled off the road and almost immediately started to shake violently (rigors). There was NONE of the usual warning signs: hunger, sweating, blurred vision, headaches, etc. I ate a lot of peanuts, drank milk, ate 2 more sweets and rested for 30 minutes. Feeling OK I set off towards home and 10 minutes later felt the rigors coming on again - so we pulled off the road again whilst my wife went to buy me sausage and chips and a can of soda. After eating I rested again for about an hour and then headed home feeling OK.

On Thursday I slept late and woke about 11 am to find that my middle toe right foot had a large blister which was weeping. Feeling exhausted I slept most of Thursday (except for eating) and was vomiting in the evening. Friday I felt no better so I contacted the Doctor who prescribed Antibiotics and got the nurse to bandage my toe. On Saturday I still felt "under the weather" and it was the evening before I felt anywhere near normal.

This week I feel fine - but not straying far from home - and I now have to visit the surgery twice a week to have my toe dressed.

Does anyone have any ideas why the rigors came so suddenly? It has never happened like this before.

@Kyambala - The second part of your post from the third paragraph isn't strictly on topic, and could maybe do with a thread of it's own? I would hate neither of you to receive as much attention as possible, or for this thread to be derailed?

You can either edit yourself, or any of the Mods could create a new thread for you if you'd prefer

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kyambala - The second part of your post from the third paragraph isn't strictly on topic, and could maybe do with a thread of it's own? I would hate neither of you to receive as much attention as possible, or for this thread to be derailed?

You can either edit yourself, or any of the Mods could create a new thread for you if you'd prefer

Thanks DCUKMod - a new thread would be a good idea as I would like an answer to my question.

Thanks. K