Why I like my rake and GP

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I spent 15 minutes with my NHS provided rake yesterday, the fragrant Z and was informed that officially I had lost 9.2kg since I last saw her in January making a total of 20.5kg (or just over 45lbs) since I first saw her in October. All-in-all I've lost just over 113lbs since I registered with my current GP in September 2006, though I have only been officially 'dieting' since July 2008. From a weight loss perspective, I fully expect to hit my target weight by January 2010.

I'm not going to discuss the diet I follow, that's already been derided to death by all and sundry except to say that I believe I it falls into the moderate to high category as defined in Fergus' Good Guys thread.

When I was diagnosed I was put on medication straight away, 1500mg Metformin/day, quickly followed by a prescription for a statin and an ACE inhibitor. I suspect that one of the reasons for that was my weight. My HbA1c at that time was 11.5%. By October 2008 that had fallen to 6.5% and my last HbA1c in January was 5.7%. Since January I have been able to reduce my Metformin slightly to 1000mg. It wasn't until after diagnosis that I discovered my maternal grandfather and great-grandmother had diabetes and that it appears to have passed my mother by.

I'm one of the fortunate type 2s. I was given a meter by my DN on the day of diagnosis and a script for 50 test strips and told to test first thing in the morning and 2 hours after my main meal. Except to be warned that if my reading ever went above 25 mmol/L I was to go to A&E, directly to A&E, and not collect my £200 that was the only advice I was given and the Sunday after diagnosis it happened. By chance I discovered this forum and the link between diet and BG became clearer.

Weekly appointments with my GP where we discussed the previous weeks readings helped further clarify the dietary changes I needed to make - though I had to laugh when early on, I exclaimed surprise that after having eaten a couple of pineapple rings for dessert (more fruit you see and one of the few fruits that I will eat) that I had had such a high reading to be told, yes, pineapple will do that to you.

Having changed my diet radically upon diagnosis - it was very hard watching Dragon and Dragonette finish that last packet of Balsamic Vinegar and Red Onion crisps and I still get cravings for wine gums (and loads of them) it was nice to hear that broadly speaking I was following BDA recommendations for people with type 2 diabetes which is the advice I received from my PCT when diagnosed.

I have sympathy with the opinion that the BNF should be followed to the letter, however doesn't that carry the lack of individualisation that following NICE guidelines regarding HbA1c does? Time and time again, whenever I meet other people with diabetes I hear the same call, "I want to be treated as an individual, not as a condition".

So, back to to the subject, apart from a few failings I feel both my dietitian and GP have listened to my needs and have risen to the challenge to help me meet my expectations including the setting of an HbA1c target lower than NICE guidelines and aggressive weight loss targets.

At the risk of repeating myself expert patient programs should empower us to know enough about our condition to take the lead in our care, our healthcare teams should be recognising our position as leads in our care. I am appalled whenever I read of a forum member being managed by their GP or DN. Whatever the failings of the current system, I don't think they're restricted to diet, we need to disavow some of our GPs of their God complex and that our voices regarding our care should not only be heard but listened to as well.

Regards, Tubs.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
That's great news Tubs and well done. Whatever dietary method you have used is completely immaterial. You have found something that works for you and produces the results you want to see.

I couldn't agree more about the need for better education as regards diabetes. The NHS runs a course called the "Expert Patients Plan" (EPP), and it is supposed to cover all chronic conditions. It was developed from an original self-management course designed by Prof Kate Lorig (Stanford University) some years ago that is widely used throughout the US. However, EPP is very generalist and doesn't go into specifics about any one condition. As an NHS course it naturally advocates the standard NHS dogma as regards a "healthy diet" so would not offer great advice to a diabetic, but could be of benefit in giving patients the self-confidence to take responsibility for the management of their condition.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Great work Tubs - losing 113lbs is outstanding stuff!

Congratulations - I envy your determination. :D

tubolard

Dislikes
I realise there are EPPs for very many conditions and never having been on a diabetes course I can't answer for the content. I can't talk to DESMOND or X-Pert never having been on either of those courses, but it appears to me that X-Pert advises a low GI approach and as I wouldn't expect advice between NHS departments to vary that much, it surprises me that the low GI message has been lost amongst the very many PCTs that provide us with service. Perhaps, as Gretchen Becker kindly suggests the original message has become lost in translation for the masses.

I don't think we need formal education to become empowered, it is something our healthcare teams should be doing as a matter of course and they should be doing that by finding out what is we want, how we want to treat our condition, what we think our targets should be

The ADA/AAC/AHA have already spoken to individualisation as a result of studies like UKPDS and VADT and Katherine has also defended individualisation in her contributions to the BMJ. It's a relatively simple concept, it should be a relatively cheap concept to implement, and it should also be measurable and is perhaps more important than addressing just one element of diabetes service provision as service provision should change as a result of better understood needs.

Regards, Tubs.

PS. Thanks Patch, you posted whilst I was posting this.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
tubolard said:
I don't think we need formal education to become empowered, it is something our healthcare teams should be doing as a matter of course and they should be doing that by finding out what is we want, how we want to treat our condition, what we think our targets should be
Hi Tubs,

The word utopia springs to mind!!

tubolard

Dislikes
Dennis,

Utopia? I think you're right, but as patients we should be aware that we can and should be experiencing these levels of care. And if we don't receive these levels of care, then perhaps we should walk to a new GP that demonstrates that they deliver these levels of care.

Regards, Tubs.

hazey276

Tubs, well done, it just goes to show what can be done with the right help and determination !!! you're an inspiration to us all

All the very best to you and yours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hazey

chocoholic

Well done, tubs, on your fantastic achievement. That weight loss alone is to be commended.
Whatever works for you....stick with it. It's obviously working.

jopar

Firstly

WELL DONE YOU…

Empowerment is essential to our ability to control our condition…

As we can see from Tubs example, not only has tubs used his own motivation and research, but his health care team have given the tool kit and the time required to empower him to look at all available information from many different resources, so he can use aspects from different places to build his personalised plan that suits him…

Many perceive that current health care practices to be a ‘dogma’ because it goes against what they have found to work for them as individuals… But isn’t there a danger of creating another ‘dogma’ by insisting another individual regimes is the only one that should be followed or taught…

Lets kick the notion of ‘dogmas’ into touch, and build a system and menu that you look at the options, then you pick and mix to meet your needs and what suits you… We need to be encouraging our HCP to give us this system and empowerment…

C

catherinecherub

Well done tubs, the weight loss is fantastic and I know you are happy with the G.I. approach. I am glad that your health team work with you, that is the only way forward.

Regards,
Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I applied for the EPP in my area only to find it defunct and they never have done DESMOND or any of those.

C

catherinecherub

For you tubs,

Attachments

• crowd_applause.gif
    crowd_applause.gif
    38.2 KB · Views: 493

tubolard

Dislikes
:oops:

Thanks everyone.