Why no hunger? It's weird.

chocoholic

Having cut my carbs right down in my main meal, I am amazed that I'm not more hungry now. Eating a large omelette, with diced turkey and cheese and salad, followed by strawberries and cream yesterday, I was amazed to not feel hungry.I actually felt REALLY full afterwards. For the first time in weeks I gave in and had two squares of really dark chocolate several hours afterwards but not out of hunger.I just had a choccie craving. Shortly after eating it I felt wobby. Took a reading and it was 3.3. I reckon my body was telling me to eat something quick. Regular testing really is the only way to know how your body reacts to different foods.
How I ever managed to eat the amount of carbs. I did before I don't know. I wouldn't even say that I was a big eater but I always had a portion of potatoes, rice or pasta with my meal. I found cutting the carbs down so hard initially but having stuck with it, I don't really crave things like that so much now. Do others who go the low-carb route feel amazed at how hunger is no longer an issue?
If anyone else is struggling initially with cutting carbs. stick with it. It really does get easier and I'm still only at the stage of changing my main meal of the day.
Lower insulin, losing weight, much better BS readings.......... and I've yet to tackle changing my brekkie and lunch meals!!!! Things are looking up.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Chocoholic, you're a star!

I just knew you'd succeed with it when you started to make smaller changes, rather than the 'cold turkey' approach. You've really made my day. How's it going with the Lantus doses, incidentally? I reckon they'll keep falling, so keep a close eye on that please!
As for the lack of hunger, that's yet another benefit of eating fewer carbs. Since carbs increase insulin secretion, they drive fat accumulation and increase hunger in order to fuel the fat building.
Now you've broken the cycle of excess insulin, hunger and food cravings you're on the path to a brilliant healthy future.
Well done!!!! :D

All the best,

fergus

hogweed

I’m not even diabetic yet, but am pre-diabetic, and would prefer not to go any further, thanks. I've tried low-carb diets in the past to lose weight, and find them very effective, and I’m certain the human metabolism is more suited to them, so I’d be very surprised if diabetics wouldn't benefit greatly from them. And so, probably, would most other people.

I can confirm absolutely that, done properly, a low-carb diet can be amazingly effective at keeping hunger at bay. No other diet does this, in my experience.

BUT I've always crashed off them again because every do often I get horribly depressed, weak, dizzy – possibly hypoglycaemic, I don’t really know. I have then felt compelled to binge seriously on chocolate or biscuits, which wrecks everything. Do you find that you have to be careful to take a certain amount of carbs on board every day, or does it not really work that way with you? Any shared experiences very welcome!

Thanks
Roger

chocoholic

Aw, thanks Fergus. I'm only on Novomix 30 twice a day. I do feel doing things a bit at a time is better, for me personally, anyway.

Roger, I am not counting carbs as such, just drastically reducing them and only for my main meal at the mo'. I don't think I could ever do "without" bread altogether but it's surprising how I really am not missing pasta, rice,jacket potatoes etc.

I have learnt so much from folks on this site and although low-carbing is more restrictive than before, in an odd way I am starting to feel more in control of what I am doing.

The Governor

Good on you choccy, I was seduced by the winsome ways of Madame Low Carb this week and can't see any reason to change :p

I'm doing 20g per meal and also don't feel hungry hardly at all.

I'm not finding it too restrictive yet, sausages are a good bet as they're pretty low (at least tesco finest are), I even had some carefully measured out beans the other day :D

Having got control, I'm now looking to experiement a bit and see what 25g per meal does. Plus I'm also sitting here doing an experiment with some sugar free sweets, which is the first time since being diagnosed nearly two weeks ago :twisted:

I also found some low sugar chocolate in Sainsburys the other days (their own make), haven't tried it yet, it uses polyols instead of normal sugar, probably minging but any port in a storm :D

My wife also noticed fun size Milky Ways are below 10g per bar, likewise for Chomps (haven't experiemented with either yet).

Come hell or high water I'm going to normalise the food I eat, even if will be all low-carb stuff.

chocoholic

Debbie & Andrew's sausages are really tasty and not too bad either. These came out top in a recent Daily Mail testing and are on offer at the moment inMorry's or Tesco's(can't remember which).
Just mind those sugar-free sweets, Gov, as too many and you'll be rushing to the loo. Trust me, in the early days, I was like Linford Christie on my way to the little room. :wink: