Type 2 Why oh why???

K

koukla

I don't know what they've had. I'm really not into excuses and if anyone can't take my reasons as reasons, that doesn't make it my fault.

K

koukla

That, to me, was tantamount to calling me a liar. I'm not one of those either but I am offended by your comment.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Koukla,

Either you take the tablet or not. The choice is yours.

I got diagnosed whilst working abroad. I had to cope (whilst on my oen with no support mechanism) with the diagnosis and medication and its side effects - the alternative to not taking the tablets would have almost certainly put me in hospital and I did not want that. I have my T2 mostly controlled and would give anything not to take tablets, but I can't quite get my body to behave without the aid of those pills, so I take them.

I take 4 times the dose you are considering taking and most days I am fine. By preparing for the side effects, you often eliminate the problem- I.e I eat more fibre in the mornings.

no one is forcing you to take the tablet and I am unclear as to how your son will make the tablet have less side effects??

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

@anteater2012, yes I am going to take it as I said earlier. Only I know the effect that the 2 Strokes have had on me and ultimately only I am responsible for myself. Ringing in my ears were the words of a friend of mine whose son was diagnosed and put onto Metformin. His bowel movements were apparently out of control at the beginning of treatment, so considering my mobility, or rather, lack of, I'm wary. I have taken on board what you've said to me though and I thank you. I know it's nothing to do with you at all but I'm very sensitive about the whole thing but I shall remain the lady that I am and try to ignore any rudeness pointed my way. If the fact that I will have my son here as a distraction helps me, then that is when I shall take it. If I find that I can do it tonight, then I shall do it then. I'm no coward. I got myself out of a wheelchair and walking again 6 years ago but I won't sit back and be berated on a public forum. The shame appals me.

Thank you so much for your reply. I do appreciate it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Koukla, I may be misunderstanding this.

Am I right that you said this

That, to me, was tantamount to calling me a liar. I'm not one of those either but I am offended by your comment.

And this

I won't sit back and be berated on a public forum. The shame appals me.

Because AndBreathe said this

So, how will him being there make it any better? I think of those who have had issues, I don't think they have swallowed the pill and on swallowing had to run hot-foot to the lavatory.

Frankly, I'm listening to excuses and hearing no reasons.

Because I have to say I'm in total agreement with @AndBreathe on this.
It would be a pity if you decided I was berating you too, because that is not my intention.

Leaving aside the matter of whether or not you intend to comply with your consultants prescription.

As far as I can tell, you have had nothing but considerate, patient support throughout this entire thread. And AndBreathe has been one of the most generous contributors.

Ok, enough said. I'm leaving now.

K

koukla

@Brunneria, yes you did read it correctly and you know full well you did.

If you don't understand my reasoning behind saying that, then it's not my fault because it's clear. I too have found @AndBreathe one of my most patient and understanding responders and I didn't understand why he/she, said "Frankly I'm listening to excuses not reasons."

I was giving reasons. My own personal reasons. However, I did take the tablet and I have only just got up. I'm normally up at 6 each morning but I didn't get much sleep.

K

koukla

@AndBreathe, I would like to make a public apology to you. I thought and it's sounding like I'm incorrect, that you were being a bit harsh on me yesterday and personally I didn't feel I deserved it. I was feeling particularly vulnerable and I wholeheartedly apologise for any upset I may have caused you. I try to steer clear of conflict. I did in fact take your advice and took the tablet last night but it will be the 3 says before I try again.

Once again, my apologies and they are sincere, I can assure you. Many thanks for all your help.

alliebee

Just a post to tell you that metformin takes a while to get into your system. I too have mobility problems and worried about side effects. They were no where as bad as id imagined. A bit of wind and yes softer stools but no desperate dash to the loo...the difference in my readings however were amazing. Most side effects disappear. You are so lucky to have so many people here to advise and give you unending support. They are sympathising with you because they have been there themselves..seen others go through similar. I saw no reason to take offense ..more perhaps that you knew what they advised was right and you got defensive...you have achieved such a lot. So why not trust and go along with advice and take you're metformin. I'm a theatre sister and I have seen your reaction from many oh many patients. They prevaricate and make so many excuses why they don't want to take the meds prescribed...please just try. Yes? No good taking one then no more for three days??

K

koukla

Yes alliebee, I did take it yesterday evening with my salad and as I've reported, I had a rotten night but that's in the past now, today's another day.

I'm going on the advice of my consultant. He said if you have any side effects, leave it for 3 days and then try it again and eventually your system will accept it.

Ok, I know I prevaricated and had the tablets here for a few days but at least I've taken one now. I know I didn't take one on Tuesday when I was given them but I've done it now so I think I should follow his advice as regards the 3 days. I really did have an unpleasant night.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes alliebee, I did take it yesterday evening with my salad and as I've reported, I had a rotten night but that's in the past now, today's another day.

I'm going on the advice of my consultant. He said if you have any side effects, leave it for 3 days and then try it again and eventually your system will accept it.

Ok, I know I prevaricated and had the tablets here for a few days but at least I've taken one now. I know I didn't take one on Tuesday when I was given them but I've done it now so I think I should follow his advice as regards the 3 days. I really did have an unpleasant night.

Take them at a pace you're happy with.
They will still build up slowly, and the reactions will decrease.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe, I would like to make a public apology to you. I thought and it's sounding like I'm incorrect, that you were being a bit harsh on me yesterday and personally I didn't feel I deserved it. I was feeling particularly vulnerable and I wholeheartedly apologise for any upset I may have caused you. I try to steer clear of conflict. I did in fact take your advice and took the tablet last night but it will be the 3 says before I try again.

Once again, my apologies and they are sincere, I can assure you. Many thanks for all your help.

Apology accepted.

K

koukla

I'm confused. I didn't give in as I said I would and have settled down on the Metformin very quickly. I just wondered if it takes time to work because my glucose levels have been the same, if not slightly higher during the last week that I've been taking it and my tummy looks about 4 months pregnant!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Metformin doesn't do much to lower BG (if I remember correctly)
It works to reduce insulin resistance, which reduces the amount of insulin your pancreas has to release.
It also (I think) takes a while to kick in - weeks rather than days.

But your best bet is to do a couple of google searches and read up on it. I'm sure metformin does a couple of other things too, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they are...

You may find that your tummy bloat subsides in time, but if it doesn't, have a word with your consultant. He may take you off it, or decide that the pros outweigh the cons.

K

koukla

Hi @Brunneria. Thank you for that. I was reading earlier but there are such conflicting articles on the Internet that I invariably find the best answer here. I have found a loss of appetite so that might drop the weight even more but I don't think I want it to. No pain in my tummy, maybe the answer is magic knickers for now :)

K

koukla

I forgot, when I had my Pernicious Anaemia injection last week the nurse said it protects the heart so that's all good.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"When taken as directed, metformin by itself is highly effective. It typically lowers fasting blood sugar levels anywhere from 17% to 37%, reduces post-meal blood glucose up to 44.5% and decreases A1c levels from 0.8% to 3.1%. Taking metformin also decreases the need for Type 2 diabetics to inject insulin.

In addition, metformin helps reduce LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and it is the only diabetes drug that is proven to prevent heart disease in Type 2 diabetes. When taken alone and as prescribed, metformin does not cause hypoglycemia (unlike sulfonylureas) or weight gain."

http://americandiabetes.com/taking-metformin-glucophage-type-2-diabetes/

My own experience was that it took two to three weeks to kick in when first prescribed.

Pavlos

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"When taken as directed, metformin by itself is highly effective. It typically lowers fasting blood sugar levels anywhere from 17% to 37%, reduces post-meal blood glucose up to 44.5% and decreases A1c levels from 0.8% to 3.1%. Taking metformin also decreases the need for Type 2 diabetics to inject insulin.

In addition, metformin helps reduce LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and it is the only diabetes drug that is proven to prevent heart disease in Type 2 diabetes. When taken alone and as prescribed, metformin does not cause hypoglycemia (unlike sulfonylureas) or weight gain."

http://americandiabetes.com/taking-metformin-glucophage-type-2-diabetes/

My own experience was that it took two to three weeks to kick in when first prescribed.

Pavlos

Gosh - Those are by far the most dramatic figures I've seen for Metformin efficacy.

@koukla - I'm pleased you haven't suffered any extreme effects form the medication. I'm sure your tummy will settle/flatten, in time.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh - Those are by far the most dramatic figures I've seen for Metformin efficacy.

@koukla - I'm pleased you haven't suffered any extreme effects form the medication. I'm sure your tummy will settle/flatten, in time.
They do make it sound like a wonder drug don't they? I imagine that they mean "when combined with suitable lifestyle" changes. I can't imagine that they mean that one can carry on eating carbs to his hearts delight and reduce his glucose levels by 40%.

Still the figure of 1- 1,5% improvement to glucose levels because of Metformin that I have often seen quoted on this forum does seem too negligible to be credible given how popular and widespread the use of the drug is amongst T2 diabetics.

Perhaps what is meant is not a 1% reduction in glucose levels but a 1% reduction in HbA1c scores from say 7% to 6% ( based on the old percentage system of counting HbA1c)

Pavlos

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They do make it sound like a wonder drug don't they? I imagine that they mean "when combined with suitable lifestyle" changes. I can't imagine that they mean that one can carry on eating carbs to his hearts delight and reduce his glucose levels by 40%.

Still the figure of 1- 1,5% improvement to glucose levels because of Metformin that I have often seen quoted on this forum does seem too negligible to be credible given how popular and widespread the use of the drug is amongst T2 diabetics.

Perhaps what is meant is not a 1% reduction in glucose levels but a 1% reduction in HbA1c scores from say 7% to 6% ( based on the old percentage system of counting HbA1c)

Pavlos

I had assumed it was from the HbA1c, expressed as a percentage.