Why such a big jump after breakfast?

normielass

This morning 7.9 the lowest they've been for a long time and 17.2 when I checked 2 hrs after breakfast! I used to be a steady 8 in the mornings but then sugars went haywire and settled around 13! Have had meds increased and going for repeat blood tests Friday. Have gall stones don't know if that'll make any difference. Will test blood again before lunch. I think I might need to try low carbing as when I don't have any or hardly any spuds they are quite low in a morning

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how many grams of carbs in your breakfast ? try never to get more than 20 grams in 1 meal

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@normielass, how long between the fasting test and eating breakfast? Some people on forum report their blood glucose keeps rising until they eat. It might be worth testing fasting. pre and post breakfast to see if this is happening to you.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I very quickly found that breakfast cereals were a no-no. Had a very small portion of mini-wheats which have absolutely no sugar. And when I say a small portion it was like five of them with a splash of semi skimmed milk. I spiked like mad. Not touched breakfast cereals since and now have much better numbers. I eat full fat plain yoghurt with a few berries. Don't get hungry mid morning any more, either. To be honest, after that breakfast in question I was still hungry having eaten it. That was a real low point, massive BG spike, hungry when finished eating. I have so moved on!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always used to get a high spike after breakfast (2hrs) but when I tested before lunch they were always quite good. I love cereal and I'm afraid it's the one thing I really can't go without, so now I've started taking my insulin 30mins before I eat (had to test this for a few days to get the right time) and this makes a big difference I still go high but not as much.
I think ur right tho about the carbs if I have loads one day my sugar is harder to control the next not sure how but almost like ur tolerance gets less.... is very confusing at the best of times