Why Would My Blood Sugar Go Up Without Eating?

Nick4344

I went to bed last night and my reading was 6.4. This morning it's 7.4.

Why would this be if I've not eaten anything?

Thanks

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Please do a search for dawn phenomenon (use the search box at the top). There are many threads on the topic and you can join these

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Liver dump or dawn phenomenon. It's where the liver chucks out Glucose in the early hours of the morning to give the body a kick up the bum to get going in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13lizanne
D

Deleted Account

There are many things which affect our BG.
Food is the obvious one. But others include time of day, weather, drugs, illness, stress and exercise.

As others have mentioned, this is likely to be Dawn Phenomenon but if it is unusual for you, perhaps you did not sleep well or coming down with a cold?

Reactions: 13lizanne

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Variance on meter readings, hormones, dawn phenomenon, the list goes on, you can take a blood glucose reading within a few minutes and see this difference, it's nothing to worry about at all.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just on this topic, I didn't eat breakfast this morning because I had an early morning meeting:
Fasting level was 5.5 at 8am
10.30am was 6.5
why would blood sugar go up after I've got up and without eating, why doesn't it stay at 5.5? Is this just because of various different factors which can affect it?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just on this topic, I didn't eat breakfast this morning because I had an early morning meeting:
10.30am was 6.5
why would blood sugar go up after I've got up and without eating, why doesn't it stay at 5.5? Is this just because of various different factors which can affect it?

Probably because you skipped breakfast. Possibly the stress of the meeting.

But it's only a tiny rise anyway :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
10.30am was 6.5

Next time you skip breakfast, try a small fatty/protein snack - just a coffee with cream or a boiled egg (made the night before if time is tight). The coffee with cream works for me and stops a morning rise as I don't eat till lunch time.

Moving about, rushing to get ready, showering, getting to the meeting, stress - these all play a part

Nick4344

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't aware of the dawn effect. Haven't had anything to eat yet - just about to- and it's 6.2

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nick4344

This is because our liver, especially for those of us with T2D/insulin resistance, will then to release more of its stored glucose than usual. Our circulating insulin level is less effective in suppressing this excessive glucose release.

But if you are able to fast intermittently after a couple of sessions, eg skip a couple of dinner consecutively, you may find it normalizing around 5.5 mmol...