Will 20% weightloss reverse my prediabetes?

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been diagnosed in November 16 with pre-diabetes I was super keen to try and reverse my diabetes like "the ones on the internet" had done. First step done, lost more than 10 kilos, controlling my BG reasonably well with low carb diet, but I still don't feel "cured"? So after a bit encouragement from this forum I'm trying to lose the last 2 kilo to actually lose 20% of my pre diagnosis weight of 64kg. Day 1: 53kg, 5.7 FBG 5 day fast (as in 600cal blood sugar diet) If anyone wants to join me in this quest please do. Would be interesting to see if it's the weight loss, how you lose it or adding exercise that actually scientifically reverse prediabetes/diabetes. And is it possible for me?? Also for those of you that have successfully reversed your diabetes, how do you know it's reversed?

Kenners

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Having been diagnosed in November 16 with pre-diabetes I was super keen to try and reverse my diabetes like "the ones on the internet" had done. First step done, lost more than 10 kilos, controlling my BG reasonably well with low carb diet, but I still don't feel "cured"? So after a bit encouragement from this forum I'm trying to lose the last 2 kilo to actually lose 20% of my pre diagnosis weight of 64kg. Day 1: 53kg, 5.7 FBG 5 day fast (as in 600cal blood sugar diet) If anyone wants to join me in this quest please do. Would be interesting to see if it's the weight loss, how you lose it or adding exercise that actually scientifically reverse prediabetes/diabetes. And is it possible for me?? Also for those of you that have successfully reversed your diabetes, how do you know it's reversed?
Interesting post. I lost an unplanned 13 kg in 29 days (101 kg down to 88 kg)...and thats how I knew something was wrong! Down to 85 kg now, planning to reach 79 - 80 kg...so a similar percentage loss. Hoping to reverse by LCHF and cycling. Soon to get a monitor and start testing. Best of luck with it!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I lost if by a strict following of the Newcastle diet, shakes and veg, no fat.
I know I reversed it by eating carbs normally, and testing.

It will be interesting to see what results all these different variations of the diet give.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are interested in reversing type 2 diabetes then take a looks at this ... https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Intermittent fasting helps lower blood sugars, helps lose weight and also allows the body to repair itself by a process called Autophagy. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy

Fasting is more beneficial than than just reducing calories to lose weight.

Interesting, but what real studies have been done, similar to the Newcastle Diet, and the follow up much larger study ongoing now. Or is it just the dietdoctors personal opinion?

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting post. I lost an unplanned 13 kg in 29 days (101 kg down to 88 kg)...and thats how I knew something was wrong! Down to 85 kg now, planning to reach 79 - 80 kg...so a similar percentage loss. Hoping to reverse by LCHF and cycling. Soon to get a monitor and start testing. Best of luck with it!
Thanks, same to you :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I lost over 33% of my weight. BMI now 21. My blood sugar levels are normal but I know what happens when I eat a bread bun. Whooosh ..... up I go.

What sort of diet, and what period did you lose it over?

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost if by a strict following of the Newcastle diet, shakes and veg, no fat.
I know I reversed it by eating carbs normally, and testing.

It will be interesting to see what results all these different variations of the diet give.
Had to google "Newcastle diet " ;) Seems that it was the weight loss that did it for you then, like Mosley's Blood sugar diet. Has anyone reversed diabetes without going super skinny, to your knowledge?

Reactions: callyandy

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Had to google "Newcastle diet " ;) Seems that it was the weight loss that did it for you then, like Mosley's Blood sugar diet. Has anyone reversed diabetes without going super skinny, to your knowledge?

I can't answer that, but from the original studies, who were morbidly obese lost weight, but certainly didn't become skinny.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost over 33% of my weight. BMI now 21. My blood sugar levels are normal but I know what happens when I eat a bread bun. Whooosh ..... up I go.
Yes, I can't eat any white carbs at all as well. Do you believe you can be "cured" to the level where you can eat some bread without spiking? Is it easier for men (more muscle mass) than women?

Reactions: pcs63

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
From my personal experience, I lost weight slowly, for a year, which did greatly improve my BG, and insulin resistance, but I did the Newcastle diet as a final mop up, and moved from overweight, to normal, and then my diabetes seemed to completely reverse.
So for me, it was the actual methodology of the Newcastle diet that seemed to matter.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't answer that, but from the original studies, who were morbidly obese lost weight, but certainly didn't become skinny.
So you truly believe it's the magic 20% ??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of diet, and what period did you lose it over?

It was low carb, higher fat, normal (for me) protein. 1200 calories approx. No additional exercise, just normal dog walks. It took 9 to 10 months. That was February to October 2014. I have since maintained by increasing my calories from fats and protein and lowering my carbs even more.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So you truly believe it's the magic 20% ??

To be honest, no.
For me, it seemed to be the rate, and the fact I was still relatively carb heavy, so my pancreas was working, (maybe it needed to blow the fat out of the islets?)
That's why it is interesting to hear the results from others who have modified the diet, and we could become a very good guide as to what the actual key factor is to really reversing T2, rather than simply controlling BG by diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I can't eat any white carbs at all as well. Do you believe you can be "cured" to the level where you can eat some bread without spiking? Is it easier for men (more muscle mass) than women?

I doubt I will ever be able to eat bread without spiking. Flour is my nemesis. I can eat small portions of potatoes and chips, and I can eat a small packet of crisps although I don't do that often.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I can only comment as a man, based on experience again, and yes, more exercise, more muscle mass, but more that the muscles seem to use the glucose, and the effect lasts for a few days.
The downside is some seem to see a spike when exercising initially, but this passes as the body adjusts.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are interested in reversing type 2 diabetes then take a looks at this ... https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Intermittent fasting helps lower blood sugars, helps lose weight and also allows the body to repair itself by a process called Autophagy. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy

Hmm, great sites. It does sound like the way you lose weight is as important as actually losing the weight.

Very interesting, I do like Jason Fung and his views on intermittent fasting, seems it's the way to go :) Thanks

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hmm, great sites. It does sound like the way you lose weight is as important as actually losing the weight.

Very interesting, I do like Jason Fung and his views on intermittent fasting, seems it's the way to go :) Thanks

Again, very interested in your results, keep us informed.

Reactions: kumera

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only comment as a man, based on experience again, and yes, more exercise, more muscle mass, but more that the muscles seem to use the glucose, and the effect lasts for a few days.
The downside is some seem to see a spike when exercising initially, but this passes as the body adjusts.
Yes, I've seen more posts from men doing weightlifting, HIIT and such and being very successful. Might be a mix of weight loss, extreme low carb diet/IF and gaining some muscle?? Makes sense that it's not just one miraculous thing that will reverse diabetes, but a combination of things..