Will 20% weightloss reverse my prediabetes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm off lentils as well, any colour, unless it's in very small amounts. Still learning...

I went through a whole phase of trying out the pulses and lentils. It was an attempt to reduce the amount of meat I was eating, which seemed horrifying to me (I have always had yearnings towards vegetarianism).

Unfortunately, my body always seems to spike with pulses, lentils, and all the other lower GI foods like buckwheat, quinoa and wild rice. I've tried them all.

I think part of it is gut flora. If we eat lentils often, then we develop different populations of bacteria in the gut which are able to cope with lentils, and that helps. Likewise the other foods. But it needs to be frequent and sustained consumption, and I have never wanted to endure the high blood glucose that (in my case) go with them. So I don't know if I would cease to spike in time.

Reactions: Freema

RichardofYork

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting post. I lost an unplanned 13 kg in 29 days (101 kg down to 88 kg)...and thats how I knew something was wrong! Down to 85 kg now, planning to reach 79 - 80 kg...so a similar percentage loss. Hoping to reverse by LCHF and cycling. Soon to get a monitor and start testing. Best of luck with it!

Reactions: gvintagedrken

RichardofYork

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I've seen more posts from men doing weightlifting, HIIT and such and being very successful. Might be a mix of weight loss, extreme low carb diet/IF and gaining some muscle?? Makes sense that it's not just one miraculous thing that will reverse diabetes, but a combination of things..
Agree that LCHF and fasting definitely helps to reverse (not cure) T2 and can get HbA1c back to normal levels if you are pre-diabetic. Keep it up.
I also found that when I stopped taking statins, my HbA1c readings dropped. significantly. Is that a coincidence? There is some research to suggest that statins reduce insulin sensitivity. Hence there may be an increased risk of getting full-blown T2 if on statins. I'm no expert and it's a difficult choice to make. Stop taking statins and have a heart attack, or keep taking them and get T2...! More research needed, but I would be interested if anyone else has noticed this correlation.

RichardofYork

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been diagnosed in November 16 with pre-diabetes I was super keen to try and reverse my diabetes like "the ones on the internet" had done. First step done, lost more than 10 kilos, controlling my BG reasonably well with low carb diet, but I still don't feel "cured"? So after a bit encouragement from this forum I'm trying to lose the last 2 kilo to actually lose 20% of my pre diagnosis weight of 64kg. Day 1: 53kg, 5.7 FBG 5 day fast (as in 600cal blood sugar diet) If anyone wants to join me in this quest please do. Would be interesting to see if it's the weight loss, how you lose it or adding exercise that actually scientifically reverse prediabetes/diabetes. And is it possible for me?? Also for those of you that have successfully reversed your diabetes, how do you know it's reversed?
See my reply below. I meant to post it following your comment but somehow it was posted in response to another reply?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree that LCHF and fasting definitely helps to reverse (not cure) T2 and can get HbA1c back to normal levels if you are pre-diabetic. Keep it up.
I also found that when I stopped taking statins, my HbA1c readings dropped. significantly. Is that a coincidence? There is some research to suggest that statins reduce insulin sensitivity. Hence there may be an increased risk of getting full-blown T2 if on statins. I'm no expert and it's a difficult choice to make. Stop taking statins and have a heart attack, or keep taking them and get T2...! More research needed, but I would be interested if anyone else has noticed this correlation.
Very little evidence of statins preventing a heart attack if you haven't had one already... have a read around the cholesterol threads here (there are many).

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went through a whole phase of trying out the pulses and lentils. It was an attempt to reduce the amount of meat I was eating, which seemed horrifying to me (I have always had yearnings towards vegetarianism).

Unfortunately, my body always seems to spike with pulses, lentils, and all the other lower GI foods like buckwheat, quinoa and wild rice. I've tried them all.

I think part of it is gut flora. If we eat lentils often, then we develop different populations of bacteria in the gut which are able to cope with lentils, and that helps. Likewise the other foods. But it needs to be frequent and sustained consumption, and I have never wanted to endure the high blood glucose that (in my case) go with them. So I don't know if I would cease to spike in time.
Makes Sense! Yes, I like the idea of being a vegetarian as well, but I'd rather use my occasional spikes on something I really love, instead of lentils. I do have sprouted chickpeas and beans in salads but only a small amount and that seems to be okay for me. Would be good to hear from low carb vegans if they're okay with pulses?

northernnerd

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm.. any diet that requires you to buy their product turns me right off it, and makes me question the research. I suppose doing it without ProLon, whatever it is, might be just as good??
You probably don't follow this thread anymore but I had heard from multiple reliable sources that they donate their revenue back into research funds. When I first heard the same researcher was coming out with a product, I questioned it as well, but it seems like he just wants to make the benefits accessible to people.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was prescribed insulin to control my diabetes. On starting a diet when losing weight my insulin went down by the same ratio. Eventually I plotted this on some graph paper. The calculated a zero mark on the graph paper and it was about (i found out later) “my lean body mass” which is your weight minus body fat. You can get a measurement device off ebay for about £3 to measure this.

There was jolt downwards on starting statins and on starting to use an exercise bike however.
Im now free of insulin or anything else at 2kg above my lean body mass and have a normal diet (50% of cals are carbs)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was prescribed insulin to control my diabetes. On starting a diet when losing weight my insulin went down by the same ratio. Eventually I plotted this on some graph paper. The calculated a zero mark on the graph paper and it was about (i found out later) “my lean body mass” which is your weight minus body fat. You can get a measurement device off ebay for about £3 to measure this.

There was jolt downwards on starting statins and on starting to use an exercise bike however.
Im now free of insulin or anything else at 2kg above my lean body mass and have a normal diet (50% of cals are carbs)

Your avatar states that you have Type 1 Diabetes and yet you say you are insulin free, how is this possible?
Either you have made a mistake when filling in your details or you have been misdiagnosed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you relatively newly diagnosed with Type 1 @rmz80 ? I only ask because it's unusual for T1s to come off all meds, except where they are in the early days, honeymoon period, and that is usually fairly short-lived.

Joules68

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to give it a go as I'm only 5ft 2 and 74Kg so need to lose weight fast and safely as I've got a milestone birthday in 3 months today so will try this for 2 weeks and see how I go.