Will I be able to her pregnant?

Gemzy_23

Hi all,

I've been a diabetic since I was 3 months old, I'm now 24... Up until the beginning of this year, I never really looked after myself. My bloods were high, at one stage my hba1c was 11.9, then slowly has dropped to 7.9.

I'm worried if I ever wanted to have a child, wether I would be able to as I read high blood sugars over years stops your ovaries working so your not able to conceive.

Has anyone looked after themselves similar to me and had a baby?

Thanks

Spangle79

Hi Gemzy are you still around? I am wondering why nobody has managed to answer you as everyone is usually very helpful here :eh:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi. I used to not look after myself. I'm now on my second pregnancy. You need to get your hba1c down before you try to conceive, as a high hba1c can cause birth defects or miscarriage, but once you get it down you should be ok. I got worsening retinopathy due to dropping my blood sugars too fast/pregnancy hormones, so that's one to watch out for, but I had a lot of laser and it has now stabilised with no more signs of it, and I got the all clear to have a second pregnancy.

I think if you have any other complications such as kidneys or circulation this may affect how well you cope with a pregnancy, do you have complications?

Otherwise you will probably be ok so long as you get things under control before you try to conceive. Not heard of badly controlled diabetes affecting the ovaries.

I didn't look after myself for 20 years and my pregnancies were fine, apart from the retinopathy I've been fine with no other complications, so it needn't mean you can't get pregnant.
Good luck

Billietobin

I know anti_carb said that if your blood sugars are high then you could end up with having a miscarriage but if you get to 20weeks would there still be a chance you could miscarriage if your blood sugars are high as when I'm older I want a child but I always worry if I can control my diabetes as when I was 11 I didn't used to control it as I was more worried about my mum at the time couping with alcohol she died last year :( I am now trying to control myself but soon have too many naughty moments of sneeking the chocolates and energy drinks I just can't help myself :( please help xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
HI Billietobin

I don't necessarily recommend this, but I am pregnant at the moment and have 'naughty time' every evening after dinner when I have a treat - but the point is I inject extra insulin and that captures the sugar from the snack so it doesn't affect the baby - my last hba1c was 42 (6.0)

I only do it after dinner and too much insulin can cause weight gain, but I figure I'll get the extra weight off after the baby is born.

So you just need to know how to bolus for any treats (and don't have them all the time obv)

I'm just off to have a cream egg icecream cone now - 22g carbs so I'l inject about 4 units for it and be fine!

And to answer your question, badly controlled diabetes later in a pregnancy can lead to stillbirth worst case scenario. I heard of a lady who had gestational diabetes without knowing it, so no control, and the baby died. If you knew you had diabetes though and were controlling it, it's more likely that poor control would make the baby very large which can lead to it getting stuck in delivery and having low blood sugar when it's born, but these problems are only going to be life threatening in rare circumstances.