Will prediabetes inevitably lead to Type 2 ?

RichardofYork

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as being pre-diabetic with regular HBA1c < or = 6.1% (or 43 mmol/mol). My GP says I will eventually develop full-blown Type 2 with time and that the process is irreversible. But according to Prof John Yudkin , Emeritus Professor of Medicine at UCL only 10% of pre-diabetics go on on to develop Type 2. Who is right ? My GP or Prof Yudkin?

I am otherwise healthy, weigh 76kg, extremely active (cycling, sport etc) and very careful with my diet ( Low GI and 5/2 fasting plan). Is there an expert out there!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Your GP is wrong. There are plenty of pre-diabetics on this form that have controlled their BS down to non-diabetic levels and are keeping them there. Even some full blown type 2's have done the same. There are many discussions on here as to whether type 2 is reversible. I believe it is best to say "well controlled". How well you control it is down to you, diet, weight loss if appropriate, and some effort on your part.

With an HbA1c of 43, you have every chance, especially if you read around this forum, ask questions, and find a good diet of reduced carbohydrates that suits you and can be sustained. Good luck..

Reactions: 4 people

RichardofYork

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as being pre-diabetic with regular HBA1c < or = 6.1% (or 43 mmol/mol). My GP says I will eventually develop full-blown Type 2 with time and that the process is irreversible. But according to Prof John Yudkin , Emeritus Professor of Medicine at UCL only 10% of pre-diabetics go on on to develop Type 2. Who is right ? My GP or Prof Yudkin?

I am otherwise healthy, weigh 76kg, extremely active (cycling, sport etc) and very careful with my diet ( Low GI and 5/2 fasting plan). Is there an expert out there!

Many thanks. Much appreciated.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello @RichardofYork that doesn't mean to say you should do nothing and cross your fingers as that is a sure way to slide headlong into diabetic levels. Have you been unwell in the last few months or on drugs that have a contraindication for D (statins/steroids/...). From what you say about your diet and exercise this seems ok. So the question is what could be causing the raised levels for you.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the stats are about 33% go on to diabetes and 50% of those will be on insulin within 10 years
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Diabetes_and_insulin
as has been said, your dr is wrong, but 10% isn't right either...If you do the right thing with diet and exercise and home blood test to get your BG in normal range, gives you the best chance..low 5's for your heart
upload_2014-11-1_20-50-29.png

Last edited by a moderator: