Winter Hunger

Over summer lost 2 stone with little effort but now slipped back into old ways as I feel so hungry all the time. Put 6lbs back on . With working full time I have been feeling exhausted lately and I feel I have no energy to cook when I get home. Does anyone have any advise on snacks or quick healthy meals I could make?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not batch cook things at the weekend so that you can freeze left over portions, ready for quick use after work? I'm thinking sauces to go with courgetti (instead of pasta), stews and so on. In fact most recipes will freeze and can then be quickly reheated.

Why not batch cook things at the weekend so that you can freeze left over portions, ready for quick use after work? I'm thinking sauces to go with courgetti (instead of pasta), stews and so on. In fact most recipes will freeze and can then be quickly reheated.

I hadn’t thought of that! That’s a good idea. I will try it Thank you.

Reactions: Guzzler

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make low carb soups for when I need something warming - they keep in the fridge for 2-3days and a mug heated in the microwave can really take the edge off and feel comforting. I do very simple ones at the moment I have a celery one in the fridge - I head of celery leaves and all chopped up sauté off in whatever you fat you use add water to just cover with a stock cube - when cooked blend it down season well and that's it! You can finish off with a bit of cream or creme fraiche but I'm watching calories too so don't bother

Reactions: Ain’tlifefunny

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Slow cookers are brilliant for times like these!
I often work late so I bung everything in it in the morning and by the time I get home from work it's ready to plate up and eat.
There's loads of different recipes you can use from stew and soups to a joint of meat.
Perfect

Reactions: Ain’tlifefunny

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make chicken soup with whatever random low carb veggies I have.

I make chili without beans and use mushrooms instead. I use spicy sauce with broth instead of chili sauce. Then I top it with avocado chunks and a little cheese

I make a mushroom soup and leave some thick to use as gravy and thin some for a soup base.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Another vote for soup. And you can drink it while cooking whatever you will eat. I sometimes have a mug while dishing up dinner. I find I am far less hungry.