Wisdom tooth removal?

Kristy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there everyone, I have some concerns about my teeth.. specifically my lower set of wisdom teeth. They're completely horizontal and I believe I will have to get them removed. However I'm unsure how the procedure will go as I have not had any major dental operations. Will I have anyone monitoring my blood sugar while they are working on my teeth? What if I start having a hypo? Will I need to have it done at a hospital or? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks! :)

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it depends on the dentist, find out from them if it will be hospital or just dentist job by, usually hospital will be for problem ones. Mine were taken out at the surgery. As for hypos, no, they don't check in the dentist. I had a tooth out yesterday and to avoid hypo, I just ate a little more and dropped my insulin a couple of units, I figured a short term 'high' a safer option. My main concern was what I could eat afterwards to be honest but luckily this one didn't hurt afterwards at all. If they are done at the hospital, which it seems likely, then yes, they will monitor your blood there. Hope tis helps!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I jad the infortunate experience of having my wisdom teeth removed by a private hospisl in Surrey, 20+ years ago.

They put me on 3 different bags of intravenous drip. Dhoulfld have been 1!! Started to lower and go hypo before gave premeds, but they still gave me premed....and decided just before op to increase the glucose and stop the insulin drip. Wanted to give me icecream after the op... Was due to stay in overnight but self discharged myself that afternoon as didn't like their care.

However, my hubby had 4 wisdom teeth impacted like you removed at a dentist. He was very groggy after but no problems. He wasn't diabetic though. He was in and out within 30 minutes. Took the day off work and went back to work the next morning.

I think your dentist is the best one to give you advice.

I would personally only go through nhs if going to hospital again for an op solely based upon the fact that they have more people to help if needed and deal with T1 diabetics day in day out...

I had many investigations and ops done since the tooth extractions all nhs, some local and some general knockout drugs and the hospitals and care have all been exceptional. All allowing me to manage my own diabetes, but telling them my blood test results.

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had both my lower wisdom teeth removed at the dental hosp 2 years ago (1 at a time, 2 weeks apart). They just gave me numbing injections and I was in for about half an hour. I'll not lie, it wasnt pleasant at all but I'm still here :)
You wont be able to eat after so I just took my normal basal in the morning and drank a little fresh orange when my sugars dipped a bit. I could eat sloppy foods by the next day.
Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one removed at dentist, like you it was almost horizontal, it took about 15 minutes all in. Anesthetic took about 10 mins yo kick in, the he broke tooth and took it out in 3 sections,. No problems at I could eat that night. He is a very good dentist though

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one of mine taken out last Wednesday under sedation and luckily I can't remember the procedure at all. Like advice above l ate normal breakfast and took a little less insulin. My bloods were checked prior to sedation and that's about it, although in total I was only there for about 30 mins.
My main concern was the recovery afterwards, sore tooth and only eating very soft/liquid food for a number of days afterwards. My dentist also put me on a short course of amoxicillin also due to being diabetic.
I had mine out on the Nhs and I couldn't fault their service. I was offered local vs sedation vs full GA.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your procedure im sure all will go well

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
I have to have my two lower wisdom teeth removed at some point - they are impacted - not sure whether the dentist will remove the teeth himself or whether he will send me to hospital - i will find out at my next appointment.