Wish I had found this forum earlier.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I was diagnosed type 2 three weeks ago, I had blood tests done for an entirely different matter and I had a phone call from the out of hours doctor at 10pm the same night. I had no idea there was an out of hours doctor until this time. They said that they were checking up on me because my blood sugar levels were high and they wanted to know that I was ok. That's all the information they gave me, they wanted me to go to my local A&E straight away to be checked. I refused because I was fine, and after a lot of discussion and the fact that I was not alone in the house they told me to contact my gp in the morning.

This was the beginning of my diagnosis... I did what I promised and called my gp to get an appointment... Hit the receptionist from hell... Who asked why I had waited until 9.30am to call if it was that important, and I couldn't have an appointment for at least a week.. After explaining for the 10th time that I was told to get an emergency appointment the good old receptionist said that she would talk to a doctor and get back to me...

Ha... Got a call 15 mins later from the senior doctor of the practice asking if I was still alive?. Have to say he has a wicked sense of humour... Anyway, my blood sugar levels were 54 and the other HbA1c levels were the highest he had ever seen at 158... I still really didn't understand exactly what this meant. I'm still not 100% clear but after reading everything I can, and finding this forum two days ago it's getting clearer...

Ok, so doc was great, told me that I seriously needed to come in that afternoon to see him and told me that until he did that I really needed not to consume any form of sugar... So my first question was what do I eat? Eggs was his reply, have a couple of eggs and come and see me... So off I did trog, after eating my eggs...

So, after reading as many other threads on this forum I've been so lucky with my doctor... He explained what was going on, and started me on glimepiride, I wasn't prescribed metformin, just the glimepiride, he also took into the fact that I'm a needle phobic to the point that bloods normally don't get done... And I tried to discharge myself with a ruptured appendix saying I could live with the pain... He also knows I have a hard time taking meds and refuse most of them. So, he said that he would put off my diagnosis for a week and I had to get my blood sugar down. He prescribed me two kinds of strips to use with urine to test ketones because he doubted that I would be able to test my blood sugar levels. He also gave me 2 different meters and testing strips...

After a lot of backwards and forwards about testing my blood I agreed and he took my first test... 48... Slightly on the high side ...
So I was given 5 days to get the level down to 15 and a basic low carb no sugar diet, what to avoid and not eat and sent on my way.

Now, knowing that I had diabetes was a scary thought, but my 5 days to get it under control or be on insulin injections even scarier thought. I was armed with the fact that I had the diabetes clinics number if I needed help and I was on my own.

So what on earth do you eat to get you blood sugar down quickly? I sort of did the Atkins diet 15years ago so knew that protein and some veg were low carb and that's where I started. Google became my best friend and well here I am.

In the 5 days with sheer determination I got my blood sugar to 12.5, I found that if I walked if actually dropped my sugar level..so I've borrowed friends dogs ever since, walking on average 3 miles a day at the moment wit or without furry friends.. I'm avoiding as many carbs as I can, I haven't eaten bread, pasta, potatoes, or rice in three weeks. No added sugars no sweeties and the big one no sugar in coffee... The only thing that's kept me on the straight and narrow sweet wise is a chocolate syrup that's carb, sugar and calory free... My friend got it for me from his body building supply shop if all places.

My doctors were impressed with my figures, and at that point officially diagnosed me with type 2.

I am still struggling with what I'm eating, I'm terrified if sugar at the moment, and my daily intake is about 15g, my carbs stay at about 30g but my protein I think is too high but I need to work on that. I would appreciate any help on spicy low carb foods that I can eat though :)

Today is the 3 week anniversary of my diagnosis, and I'm happy that my blood sugars are in the 4.3-5.5 bracket, but got to get them to stabilizer a bit more. So any hints and tips at this point would be Welcome... Oh an tinned tomatoes are out....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done you!!

Turmeric in everything for health! Lol...

Tomatoes n onions n garlic are out for me. Cauli rice yum.. with turmeric and mixed herbs.. yum.

Turmeric omelette!! Lol!!

Turmeric chai tea!!

Only kidding... just wanted to say well done.

Also though... diabetes is forever.... levels and lifestyle has to be sustainable....

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was diagnosed type 2 three weeks ago, I had blood tests done for an entirely different matter and I had a phone call from the out of hours doctor at 10pm the same night. I had no idea there was an out of hours doctor until this time. They said that they were checking up on me because my blood sugar levels were high and they wanted to know that I was ok. That's all the information they gave me, they wanted me to go to my local A&E straight away to be checked. I refused because I was fine, and after a lot of discussion and the fact that I was not alone in the house they told me to contact my gp in the morning.

This was the beginning of my diagnosis... I did what I promised and called my gp to get an appointment... Hit the receptionist from hell... Who asked why I had waited until 9.30am to call if it was that important, and I couldn't have an appointment for at least a week.. After explaining for the 10th time that I was told to get an emergency appointment the good old receptionist said that she would talk to a doctor and get back to me...

Ha... Got a call 15 mins later from the senior doctor of the practice asking if I was still alive?. Have to say he has a wicked sense of humour... Anyway, my blood sugar levels were 54 and the other HbA1c levels were the highest he had ever seen at 158... I still really didn't understand exactly what this meant. I'm still not 100% clear but after reading everything I can, and finding this forum two days ago it's getting clearer...

Ok, so doc was great, told me that I seriously needed to come in that afternoon to see him and told me that until he did that I really needed not to consume any form of sugar... So my first question was what do I eat? Eggs was his reply, have a couple of eggs and come and see me... So off I did trog, after eating my eggs...

So, after reading as many other threads on this forum I've been so lucky with my doctor... He explained what was going on, and started me on glimepiride, I wasn't prescribed metformin, just the glimepiride, he also took into the fact that I'm a needle phobic to the point that bloods normally don't get done... And I tried to discharge myself with a ruptured appendix saying I could live with the pain... He also knows I have a hard time taking meds and refuse most of them. So, he said that he would put off my diagnosis for a week and I had to get my blood sugar down. He prescribed me two kinds of strips to use with urine to test ketones because he doubted that I would be able to test my blood sugar levels. He also gave me 2 different meters and testing strips...

After a lot of backwards and forwards about testing my blood I agreed and he took my first test... 48... Slightly on the high side ...
So I was given 5 days to get the level down to 15 and a basic low carb no sugar diet, what to avoid and not eat and sent on my way.

Now, knowing that I had diabetes was a scary thought, but my 5 days to get it under control or be on insulin injections even scarier thought. I was armed with the fact that I had the diabetes clinics number if I needed help and I was on my own.

So what on earth do you eat to get you blood sugar down quickly? I sort of did the Atkins diet 15years ago so knew that protein and some veg were low carb and that's where I started. Google became my best friend and well here I am.

In the 5 days with sheer determination I got my blood sugar to 12.5, I found that if I walked if actually dropped my sugar level..so I've borrowed friends dogs ever since, walking on average 3 miles a day at the moment wit or without furry friends.. I'm avoiding as many carbs as I can, I haven't eaten bread, pasta, potatoes, or rice in three weeks. No added sugars no sweeties and the big one no sugar in coffee... The only thing that's kept me on the straight and narrow sweet wise is a chocolate syrup that's carb, sugar and calory free... My friend got it for me from his body building supply shop if all places.

My doctors were impressed with my figures, and at that point officially diagnosed me with type 2.

I am still struggling with what I'm eating, I'm terrified if sugar at the moment, and my daily intake is about 15g, my carbs stay at about 30g but my protein I think is too high but I need to work on that. I would appreciate any help on spicy low carb foods that I can eat though :)

Today is the 3 week anniversary of my diagnosis, and I'm happy that my blood sugars are in the 4.3-5.5 bracket, but got to get them to stabilizer a bit more. So any hints and tips at this point would be Welcome... Oh an tinned tomatoes are out....

You did great job there getting it from 54 to 4.3-5.5 , thats really impressive , Red chili helps lowering BG and also helps insulin work better if you use insulin.

Reactions: Prem51

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done you!!

Turmeric in everything for health! Lol...

Tomatoes n onions n garlic are out for me. Cauli rice yum.. with turmeric and mixed herbs.. yum.

Turmeric omelette!! Lol!!

Turmeric chai tea!!

Only kidding... just wanted to say well done.

Also though... diabetes is forever.... levels and lifestyle has to be sustainable....
Haha you sound like my sister :) she swears by the stuff... But it's really nice in cottage cheese

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You did great job there getting it from 54 to 4.3-5.5 , thats really impressive , Red chili helps lowering BG and also helps insulin work better if you use insulin.

I am not on insulin, yet. Doctor started me on metformin two weeks ago.

I was given time to get my levels down, but the doctor also knows that even if prescribed I wouldn't inject insulin, so it's going to have to be a tight reign on my diet, and more Excersise. That's why he was willing to give me time to try to get my bs levels down. The only way I get round testing is that I can't see the needle, and that I've convinced myself it's just like pricking your finger when sewing.

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not on insulin, yet. Doctor started me on metformin two weeks ago.

I was given time to get my levels down, but the doctor also knows that even if prescribed I wouldn't inject insulin, so it's going to have to be a tight reign on my diet, and more Excersise. That's why he was willing to give me time to try to get my bs levels down. The only way I get round testing is that I can't see the needle, and that I've convinced myself it's just like pricking your finger when sewing.

There is gadget where you insert on the injection site and stays 7 days , it has a very little needle on it so it probably won't hurt and u can just insert the insulin shot through it without needing to stab your self everyday

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My cancer people and gastro say its like gold for health!!

Pity I didnt take before the major illnesses hit me-lol!!

Cottage cheese???? Not quite sure on that but guess its a possibility!

Courgette fried and a poached egg on top... oooh now, thats yum!!

So well done!!

A choc syrup thats calorie free??? Has your friend found the Elixir to life that we all yearn for??

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is gadget where you insert on the injection site and stays 7 days , it has a very little needle on it so it probably won't hurt and u can just insert the insulin shot through it without needing to stab your self everyday

It's name i-port advance , Google it

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I'm really really bad with needles, I don't even have my ears pierced.... I have talked to a couple of friends that inject, and both say it's not as bad these days as it was and they think testing actually hurts more.... Still don't believe them

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really really bad with needles, I don't even have my ears pierced.... I have talked to a couple of friends that inject, and both say it's not as bad these days as it was and they think testing actually hurts more.... Still don't believe them

It's not painful for me too , I took 11,540 shot to date and still counting
Maybe that's why hahaha
It's surely hurts at first but you will get used to it, the gadget above helps a lot can decrease 150 shot per month to 10 only
And you can also use CGM like Freestyle Libre for BG monitoring

Reactions: AM1874

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My cancer people and gastro say its like gold for health!!

Pity I didnt take before the major illnesses hit me-lol!!

Cottage cheese???? Not quite sure on that but guess its a possibility!

Courgette fried and a poached egg on top... oooh now, thats yum!!

So well done!!

A choc syrup thats calorie free??? Has your friend found the Elixir to life that we all yearn for??

Ooo to the courgette and egg, sound nice and I wouldn't have thought about putting them together.

The syrups OMG... They are amazing, they have really killed my sugar cravings dead, I use the chocolate and the caramel on in quark and it's like fromage frais.

They are made my a company called Waldren farm, there are 5 flavours or syrups, but I'm only using the caramel and the chocolate ones, but they do strawberry and blueberry as well. They Also do jams and coffee whiteners... I've tried the mocha one for coffee and it's as nice as the syrups in coffee. I needed something, because I was craving sweet.... And my friend found them fir me

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not painful for me too , I took 11,540 shot to date and still counting
Maybe that's why hahaha
It's surely hurts at first but you will get used to it, the gadget above helps a lot can decrease 150 shot per month to 10 only
And you can also use CGM like Freestyle Libre for BG monitoring
Hi,

I'm praying, that if I can get on top of this then it might put off the need for insulin, the docs said that in another couple of weeks they will run some blood tests to see if it's my pancreas packing up, or if I've just become insulin resistant... Until that time I'm sticking with the lchf diet.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ooo to the courgette and egg, sound nice and I wouldn't have thought about putting them together.

The syrups OMG... They are amazing, they have really killed my sugar cravings dead, I use the chocolate and the caramel on in quark and it's like fromage frais.

They are made my a company called Waldren farm, there are 5 flavours or syrups, but I'm only using the caramel and the chocolate ones, but they do strawberry and blueberry as well. They Also do jams and coffee whiteners... I've tried the mocha one for coffee and it's as nice as the syrups in coffee. I needed something, because I was craving sweet.... And my friend found them fir me

Yum!!

Courgette about 1.9carb/100g if I remember right...

Lovely too with pesto and philli cheese!!

Mouth watering 1am in morning!!

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm praying, that if I can get on top of this then it might put off the need for insulin, the docs said that in another couple of weeks they will run some blood tests to see if it's my pancreas packing up, or if I've just become insulin resistant... Until that time I'm sticking with the lchf diet.

Hopefully you get better and your pancreas pack up normally , hopefully they find cure for all diabetics soon :)

Reactions: Prem51

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yum!!

Courgette about 1.9carb/100g if I remember right...

Lovely too with pesto and philli cheese!!

Mouth watering 1am in morning!!

Have you tried quark? I hadn't heard about it until a week ago...

It's a soft cheese like philli... It's slightly thinner, and tescos have cooking cheese on the label.

I've used it with stir fry and it works really well, I've had it on pancakes... And like I say the syrups and sweetener makes one heck of a delicious pudding... It's really low carb and no sugar...

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really
Hopefully you get better and your pancreas pack up normally , hopefully they find cure for all diabetics soon :)

I really hope so, but to be honest, I think the increase is a result in the massive changes of our western diet. What terrifies me is the added sugar to everything, but especially the stuff aimed at kids. It's In everything and in huge amounts. I just think our bodies are not designed to cope with it all

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really

I really hope so, but to be honest, I think the increase is a result in the massive changes of our western diet. What terrifies me is the added sugar to everything, but especially the stuff aimed at kids. It's In everything and in huge amounts. I just think our bodies are not designed to cope with it all

There is already 500M+ diabetics around world
Massive number