1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wish peoples approach to infectous illnesses was more like the Japanese

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Boo1979, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Boo1979

Boo1979 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In Japan and some other asian countries, if youve got an infection and go out in public you wear a face mask to reduce the possibility of infecting someone else
    Last week I was travelling on a train between the midlands and London. I started off perfectly healthy but a woman in the row of seats next to mine was coughing and sneezingfor the whole 2 hour journey, no covering her mouth etc, no chance to move from my booked seat as it was half term week and the train was pretty crowded
    By the time I went to bed, I’d started sneezing and it had gone onto my throat and chest by the next morning and its still firmly there a week later - my sugars are most unimpressed and have been hovering between 9&10 despite v few carbs and normal dose of my diabetes meds
    Still , looking on the bright side, Ive been sleeping a good 10hours a day, my fitbit reckons my heartrate has increased to put me into “fatburning zone” most of the day - Ive also fancied little food other than cheese,pitachio nuts and sugar free squash - as a result Ive lost 3.7kg since last week

• Hug Hug x 4
    #1 Boo1979, Oct 31, 2017 at 2:02 PM
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Totally agree! Schools and universities tend to have these epidemics of everybody coming in sick, and then passing it around. When I go to class I try to sit away from people who are obviously ill (once I moved 3 times because people around me were coughing/sneezing/sniffling too much), but you can't always avoid them. I've somehow managed to avoid getting sick this year, but it should be the responsibility of the sick person to sit away from everyone else or just stay home if it's that bad. It seriously annoys me, since I've known of people with type 1 ending up in hospital due to getting sick. Get well soon!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

I send healthy children to school and get infected ones back. Humf! They miss teaching days which often cannot be gained back. 10yr old doing stats this yr. He needs to be on top form. Dietician doesn't want him on any strict 'faddy' diet.

4. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Use to get this all the time at work. Customers spreading their germs all over you. Yet since I gave up work to look after my husband I haven't had any signs of a sniffle and I intend on keeping it that way .

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Midnight_tabu

Midnight_tabu Type 1 · Newbie

I totally agree, why don't people use hankies and had gel.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook