withdrawl of mixtard 30!

debbiezoe

Ive just been told that Zoe's insulin has been withdrawl and she has to change on saturday to a new kind, has this happened to anyone else and should i expect side effects or unusual BM's? She has only really settled on the mixtard after being diagnosed 9 months ago!

The nurse advised me to change on a Saturday so she would be at home with me incase of any problems. She thinks that the change shouldn't effect her but im worried, when Zoe was diagnosed and spent a few days in hospital. A 17 yr old was brought in very ill, his dad was telling me that he had a bad reaction to insulin change! i know everyone is different but was wondering has anyone been through this before?

Im in two minds to pack an over night back incase!!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess has been on various insulins and after mixtard 10 was withdrawn a couple of years ago we were once again back to finding another insulin or combination of insulins that would work for her. When mixtard 10 was withdrawn there was no other similar insulin to change to so it was a complete overhaull of her insulin regime. I'm guessing that your nurse will change you from mixtard 30 to novomix 30 which I guess is a similar insulin.

In all the changes to the various insulins that we've seen Jess has never had a bad reaction which has resulted in her being hospitalised. In the case of the 17 year old he was probably one of the unlucky few. It will be inconvenient to change from an insulin that is working to a new one but in all likelihood the change will be straightforward for your daughter. I do advise that you test frequently just to keep an eye on your daughter's readings and be prepared that there may need to be a few tweaks over the coming days or weeks to fine tune doses.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well as it should do.