1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wonderful cafe

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by carty, Apr 24, 2017.

1. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We took our Grandson out to lunch today to a nice cafe in a village near his home .The menu seemed to be a disaster ,leek and potato soup and then sandwiches all with very nice fillings so I smiled nicely at the waitress and asked if I could have the local ham and cheese salad sandwich without the bread .No problem she said ( they are very polite in Ireland ) and I had a delicious salad with three thick slices of home roast ham a good portion of lovely cheese ,red onions and a relish .So the lesson is to ask !!
    CAROL

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Deespee23

Deespee23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes - if you don't ask, you don't get! I've found that most places will do some kind of salad if you ask them nicely. But well done.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Carty totally agree,my sister and I eat out every week and we always ask for salad with mains we just ask wherever we go not had a problem yet. My hubby and I have just returned from a few days in Windermere,on arrival we found a lovey restaurant serving full English breakfast until 12 noon,absolutely no problem we are everything except the beans and hash browns.K

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've usually swapped the chips for salad at most places I've been to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Glenmac

Glenmac Type 2 · Member

Yes,asking,with a smile works each time for me!This year was my first as a low carber so I was quite apprehensive about eating out.For various reasons we have been away from home more than usual this summer so I've tested this theory in different parts of the U.K!At a lovely brasserie inAuchterarrdar in Scotland they had a bread less burger on the menu.Most places offered me an extra in place of potatoes bread etc and I ended up with side salad or extra veg.I often felt I had the better mealthan the rest of our table!I found that Subway,the filled roll shop,which I'd avoided, now does a nice salad of choice if you need food on the go.We also found quite a lot of all day breakfasts on various menus.

6. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Yes, and another eating out trick as a low-carber is to get them to put the salad dressing on the side, in fact I get all condiments put on the side, regardless of whether or not staff say they have added sugar or not. And then test for unnatural sweetness by tasting a bit. Sooooo many hidden sugars in food when eating out, is my experience.

Many chefs sweeten meat of all kinds with sugar, which is so weird I don't know what to say. (Cheap flavour enhancer, says Mr Svea when I wail about this.) My experience is - you can tell. It can be pretty depressing.

But yes - lots of really good lo- carbing eating out experiences too. Yay! (Just don't forget to tell them to hold the condiments - I still forget sometimes and curse myself and this world of many hidden sugars.)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook