Work

nipa68

Until last week I kept all my diabetes gear (blood testing machine, emergency jelly babies and insulin) in a bag under my desk. Now work has said that no bags are allowed . All bags have to be stored in lockers on another floor .
They are refusing to allow my diabetes gear to be on my desk or close to hand . I have spoken to them and they are very unhelpful for some reason . What can I do?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd see the manager, ask them the reason and see if they can suggest a way around this. Explain that if you have a hypo, you probably won't make it to the next floor.

Reactions: col101 and Prem51

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until last week I kept all my diabetes gear (blood testing machine, emergency jelly babies and insulin) in a bag under my desk. Now work has said that no bags are allowed . All bags have to be stored in lockers on another floor .
They are refusing to allow my diabetes gear to be on my desk or close to hand . I have spoken to them and they are very unhelpful for some reason . What can I do?

Where are you? In the uk the equality act provides that employers must make reasonable adjustments to accommodate employees disability. Type 1 diabetes is a disability, type 2 treated with insulin probably is a disability. Who is th "they" not being helpful? Is there someone from hr involved?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That seems a bit hazardous to me- having to go between floors, in the event of a hypo.

What sort of environment do you work in? I have heard of such cases where there are items in the workplace that could be attractive to thieves, and in retail environments.

It would seem sensible to to have a discussion with your manager about this and explain the dangers to you. If that fails, perhaps they might allow you to have something like this on your desk? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?pid=4441

Being clear, your manager could be reassured that you only had your necessities in there. As that box is portable, you might have to find a way of securing it to your desk, or wherever.

I hope you can work something out.

Reactions: Prem51

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I carry a "Joe's Small-in-One" on my belt at all times. It holds my insulins, meter, emergency carbs all with ease. If you aren't allowed a bag, this may be an option?
My job needs both hands free a lot of the time, hence this is easy to take with me anywhere, and tbh I forget it's there most of the time.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think they can stop you to be honest....its discrimination.....

what do you do for a living....?

does you office/desk need to be clear for any reason other than tidiness...

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I carry everything I need in my pockets or in a pouch on my body at work. I also ware black trousers with side pockets the ones you can get from Arco the work clothing suppliers. I carry my meter, rapid insulin pen, glucose tabs, jelly beans and a small diery for my blood suger readings. A tip I have for storing the jelly beans is to use a empty glucose tab plastic cylinder. My employer also has a strict policy. This how get around things. I hope my post has been of some help to you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could all the essentials be put into a multipocket waistcoat? The sort of garment used by photographers to carry all the odds and ends required. You wouldn't have to wear it - just hang it over the back of your chair.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

If it was under your desk in the first place, then it shouldn't be a problem, it's unreasonable and irresponsible to have medical equipment that is out of your reach when needed quickly. Go through all the company channels you can, good luck and please let us know how things progress, take care.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If was under your desk in the first place, then it shouldn't be a problem, it's unreasonable and irresponsible to have medical equipment that is out of your reach when needed quickly. Go through all the company channels you can, good luck and please let us know how things progress, take care.

Robin, irritating though it is, many companies have a nothing on the floor policy, allegedly aligned with experiences of trip hazards. Most often that policy is accompanied by clear desk policies (no personal "stuff" on desk tops or monitors either), but, in my experience, they usually provide desk with drawers, an under-desk pedestal or nearby lockers.

@nipa68 - It would be useful to understand what sort of work environment you're contending with.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Robin, irritating though it is, many companies have a nothing on the floor policy, allegedly aligned with experiences of trip hazards. Most often that policy is accompanied by clear desk policies (no personal "stuff" on desk tops or monitors either), but, in my experience, they usually provide desk with drawers, an under-desk pedestal or nearby lockers.

@nipa68 - It would be useful to understand what sort of work environment you're contending with.

As this is a medical issue and we do need to get to our essential medical supplies very quickly, it should be taken into account and allowed. Now, I don't how big people's desk draws are, but I would think they contain useful and necessary office equipment regarding the job they are doing. If someone in HR googled diabetes type 1 or type 2 (with Insulin,) they would be fully informed about hypo's ( and how serious they could be) in a matter of minutes. A good company looks after it's employee's, they are there most valuable resource.

@nipa68 68 did you talk to someone about this matter and did you had any positive feedback ?