working from home

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

i have been T1 for 17 years and also suffer form other complications from diabetes, like autonomic nervous system issue and all the usual stuff. i recently suffered a twisted ankle, or so i thought, which in fact turned out to be broken in two places and has triggered chacot foot.

I have initially been signed of work for 6 weeks and have been told it could a lot longer, i did attempt to go to work but was sent home as health & safety risk.

After a week, work have offered for me to work from home, which i do not mind, they have to sort a new temporary contract, however question is where do i stand with the doctors certificate? work pay full wage for 6 weeks then 6 weeks on half pay then nothing, on the new contract i will only be paid for the agreed hours that i do.

due to financial commitments i have already enquired into releasing part of my pension, however I'm only 41 so don't really want to do this just yet.

work have also already sourced a temporary replacement for my position.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thank you,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Assuming you are in the UK, have a look at this link.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1062.aspx?CategoryID=68

It is pretty basic info, but there are some links at the bottom of the page which may take you to more indepth stuff, and there are some telephone numbers if you want to ring and have a chat to someone.

I work from home myself, and find it a great improvement on slogging into the office on the daily grind. I am also lucky that my employer is extremely considerate and flexible. My work/life balance is the best it has been in 30+ years of employment. I start early and finish late, with breaks for dog-walking lunches, washing machine repairers and various other things. The nature of my work is that I get bursts of up and down time too, allowing me to control my own schedule. I have been surprised how well it works, and how productive I am, and my employer tells me they are very happy with the arrangement.

There is one other added bonus too - I have managed to miss almost all of the plagues/viruses/lurgys that sweep through an open plan office on a regular basis.

I hope your Charcot foot recovery goes well. It is a frustrating and inconvenient and horrible condition. You have my profound sympathy.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Deputy_Dawg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am sorry to hear from you about Chacot foot. My son (T1) had exactly the same symptoms as you describe only he had severe foot pain, he woke up with it last September. My son went to his doctor who prescribed pain killers and this went on and on untill he had an x-ray and they found his foot broken in several places. He was put into a leg brace just before Christmas 2016 and he is still in it today. My son has been sent to have his feet measured for special NHS shoes (they are free, hand made, two pairs) that was two months ago. He has been told last week his foot has mended and in three weeks time he will have his first pair of special shoes. He has to wear them occasionally to let his foot adapt.
My son has been working from home since January and he will start back after Easter a little bit at a time as he still wears his leg brace.
I hope you make a good recovery but its a long and slow healing process.

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
good news, its not chacot foot......however 13 weeks of rest and no work and the broken foot is yet to attempt to heal? the doctors have signed me off work for a further 6 weeks, feeling pretty depressed for this current outcome.

after 4 weeks i get another CT scan and they will decide whether to operate or not, apparently i will have to options, have a fitted sole or operate to fix the foot, what is the best option?

it has also prompted me to look at all the medication i am currently on and to honest i take these because i'm told too, but without really knowing why? the list....

Tramadol 37.5mg / Paracetamol 325mg tablets
page1image9400

page1image10568

Co-dydramol 10mg/500mg tablets

page1image12704

Domperidone 10mg tablets

Losartan 50mg tablets

page1image28400

Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg tablets
page1image33520
page1image33680

page1image34528

Tresiba FlexTouch 100units/ml solution for injection 3ml pre-filled pen (Novo Nordisk Ltd)

page1image36864

Amlodipine 10mg tablets

page1image38880

Bisoprolol 5mg tablets

page1image42832

Aspirin 75mg dispersible tablets

page2image1920

Atorvastatin 40mg tablets

page2image3736

NovoRapid Penfill 100units/ml solution for injection 3ml cartridges (Novo Nordisk Ltd)

Heres to another 6 weeks?