Working out what to eat

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi as I have not been on here that long I have been told not to eat bread or have cereal for breakfast this is confusing for me so Cagney you all tell me what I should eat you have given me good advice so far so thank you for that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The best advice for this is get yourself a Blood Glucose Monitor. we can sit here and say don't eat this or that, but everyone is different. get a monitor, test before your meal, then 2 hours after. If the after result is more than 2.0 higher then examine that meal and cut some of the carbs or quantity. Then try it again. It's trial and error.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello HG

Welcome to the most exciting part of your life (food-wise)

Put aside your druthers (druther have this than that) and treat it all as a NEW food adventure.

You get to adapt your old recipes and search the net for new recipes and now you can eat more cakes and sweet stuff and go mental with the exotics like ginger and curries and spices.

Breakfast is cereal and toast GGOOOOOOONE No grain products so it can be soup and flat nut bread or an omelette with mixed berry chutney or bacon and eggs, diet Jelly and banana with egg custard or last nights left overs or beans, baked beans are good with onion and curry powder.

Morning tea is BBAAAACK Cup cakes filled with sweetened apple and topped with sweetened cream cheese "icing"

Lunch can be a tinned fish salad with something extra to take the place of carbs like asparagus or 4 bean mix and just a bit of lo carb dressing.

Afternoon tea can be microwaved chocolate cake (like a mud cake/sponge. withsweetened fresh cream.

Dinner main course
COQ AU VIN

Ingredients

4 Chicken leg potions

Salt and pepper

2 Tbsp plain flour

2 Tbsp sunflower oil

25g/1oz butter

100g/4oz smoked streaky bacon

450g/1lb button onions or shallots

600ml/1pt red wine

1 chicken stock cube

2 Tbsp tomato puree

1 garlic clove (been using lazy garlic – already crushed)

1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried

225g/8oz mushrooms

Step 1

• Toss chicken legs in seasoned flour until evenly coated
  • Heat oil then butter in large casserole dish / saucepan
  • Add chicken and fry for 10 minutes or until brown all over
  • Remove from pan and set to one side

Step 2

• Cut bacon into small dices and peel onions
  • Add both bacon and onions to the pan and fry for 5 minutes, stir occasionally

Step 3

• Pour in wine and allow to bubble for a minute or two
  • Stir in crumbled stock cube and tomato puree
  • Crush garlic and add to pan with the thyme
  • Bring to the boil, then return chicken to the pan
  • Lower the heat, cover with lid and simmer for 30 minutes

Step 4

• Halve mushrooms and add to the pan
  • Simmer for further 30 minutes
  • DONE

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Anyway here it is again

I wrote this I hope it helps.
LOW CARB DIETS

Why and How

By Mango Chutney

If you have not been comatosed in recent times, you will know that our modern diet contains too much carbs (carbohydrates) and it is the root cause of overweight and related health problems.

So the time has come to do something about it, particularly if you are overweight, pre-diabetic or diabetic. The problem is we eat too much grain products, bread, rice, pasta, cereals etc and too much starch i.e. potatoes and sweet potato and too much sugar of all types including fruit.

They do not want us to eat extra protein or overload on grease, good or bad and we need to get enough to eat.

We can, of course, make up the difference with garden veg. but we can follow my simple tips and convert our recipes to Lo-carb.

Bakery products.

Sugar alternatives are available and I call it “pretend sugar”, eventually you will get used to the taste.

Wheat flour is a problem and we eat a lot of it one way or another and the alternative is nut flours. The nut flours that are easy to buy are coconut flour and almond meal and both are made from the waste left after the oil is extracted.

For cooking, nut flours have a major problem because they have no “glue” to hold cooked product together, wheat flour has gluten.

Some glues for nut flour that I use are; eggs, olive oil, grated cheese and gelatine. I use them in flour recipes, there are no hard and fast rules, just use what you think suits the end product.

A lo- carb self-raising wholemeal flour alternative I use is;

½ cup of each of 3 flours (self-raising flour, coconut flour, almond meal)

½ cup of crushed nuts

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 teaspoon baking soda

Plus whatever glue (see above) I choose i.e, grated cheese for flat bread, eggs and olive oil and gelatine for cakes.

This will produce some flavours that you might not like but you can override them with spices and curry powder and vanilla essence or even cocoa. Peppermint essence, if not too heavily applied, will just become a clean tasting mask.

Note about coconut flour.

Coconut flour absorbs huge quantities of fluid so it is best to not waste ingredients by having them absorbed into the coconut flour (add water to the coconut flour first).

If you search the net you will find lots of lo-carb recipes and plenty for bread alternatives but most of them read like an omelette recipe with stacks of eggs. There are some good ones tho, that will even make bread that can be toasted, and there are some that cook in a mug in a microwave.

Potato Alternative

I use extra pumpkin and zucchini instead of potato.

Don’t forget all the beans are OK and the nuts are all fine too, and you do not just have to eat salads.

Soups, stews, curries, stir-fries, baked dinners, bacon and eggs, BBQs, cakes, diet jellies and egg custard are all good.

There is a microwaved chocolate cake around that is magnificent and delicious icing can be made from cream cheese, pretend sugar and lime or lemon juice.

Frozen berries are convenient (lots of taste and not much sugar) and they can be microwaved and sweetened for cakes or desserts and they can be made into jam and chutney.

To make jam, cook the berries a bit in the microwave with pretend sugar then add gelatine. You can make a chutney/relish by adding Worcestershire sauce to your jam.

If you are an experimental cook - then go for it and if you like to follow recipes the net is chocas with lo-carb recipes.

Enjoy!

C

chris lowe

First get yourself a blood glucose monitor, then get a Little Gem (Collins) Carb Counter. I got mine on Amazon for a couple of quid.
Choose what you fancy for breakfast, check the carb content from the book. Eat and re test 2 hours later. If it goes sky high, cross it off your list of foodstuffs, if it's not more than 2 points higher you can probably tolerate that food.

For breakfast I often have eggs, fried, boiled, scrambled, poached or any way you fancy with a slice of Bergen which is a lower carb bread than most of the others. You can get a low carb bread in Sainsbury's HiLo, but it is more expensive. Ring the changes by adding bacon or good quality sausage.

I know it seems like a bit of a faff, but it's the only way to get your levels under control and as time goes on it'll be 2nd nature. Good luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat meat, fish, tinned fish, cheese, yogurt, mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, eggs, salads, mayonnaise, leafy green vegetables ... the list is endless. Just avoid cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta, ordinary bread. Be careful with fruit, berries are best. Be careful with milk. If you get a meter you may find you can cope with some of these in moderation, but you will never know unless you get a meter.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
You can eat meat, fish, tinned fish, cheese, yogurt, mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, eggs, salads, mayonnaise, leafy green vegetables ... the list is endless. Just avoid cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta, ordinary bread. Be careful with fruit, berries are best. Be careful with milk. If you get a meter you may find you can cope with some of these in moderation, but you will never know unless you get a meter.

Arrrgggh you say avoid cereals ? I like a bowl of All bran each morning i find it keeps my bowels regular.
If you take potato's and bread out of the menu what else is there left.Bread is a meal with such as cheese and cooked meats as in a cheese butty or a ham butty.I dont like salad so eating say the cheese or the ham on its own id be hungry.Same with potatos they make a meal up like fish fingers and chips bangers and mash.I could eat bangers on their own wihout the mash etc but there again id be as hungry as hell unless i ate say half a dozen bangers to fill me up a bit.Usually have 4 bangers with some mash.What about baked beans ? they go well with sausage.

Pasta well it looks like the lasagne and canaloni and spag bol are out then.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Arrrgggh you say avoid cereals ? I like a bowl of All bran each morning i find it keeps my bowels regular.
If you take potato's and bread out of the menu what else is there left.Bread is a meal with such as cheese and cooked meats as in a cheese butty or a ham butty.I dont like salad so eating say the cheese or the ham on its own id be hungry.Same with potatos they make a meal up like fish fingers and chips bangers and mash.I could eat bangers on their own wihout the mash etc but there again id be as hungry as hell unless i ate say half a dozen bangers to fill me up a bit.Usually have 4 bangers with some mash.What about baked beans ? they go well with sausage.

Pasta well it looks like the lasagne and canaloni and spag bol are out then.

John, when you get your meter, eat these foods and test them. Then come back and tell us what the results were.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did you know...
    A diet higher in saturated fat can narrow the arteries and increase the risk of a stroke, heart disease or certain types of cancer.

If you swapped from semi-skimmed milk to Sainsbury's 1% fat milk, you could help reduce your saturated fat intake by 45% a year.

Experts recommend women eat no more than 20g of saturated fat in a day and men no more than 30g

C

chris lowe

Don't panic Johnboy, You may find that you can tolerate a couple of small ones (potatoes). As for pasta etc try a small portion, you might find you tolerate it. I don't know how good a cook you are or if you do your own cooking but you can make a sort of lasagne using courgette. Use a potato peeler to peel off thin slices then layer it with meat and grated cheese. The Hairy Bikers also did a lasagne using sheets made of layers of leek.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I strongly disagree with @chris lowe (sorry Chris) I think it is time to throw the switch.

It is time to start on a whole new food adventure, I think the alternate foods should be eaten how it best suits those foods, and not make them look like something familiar. Why?

Because we want our new diet foods to taste gourmet and not like a poor cousin of something else.

We all have a trigger point that is like a match that starts a fire. Too much carbs and we start the fire (our BS goes out of proportion high) and if we stay within our carb tolerance our BS is fine.

I am confident that we can all live happily without potato in our diet.

Treat your new diet as an exciting game with a gourmet banquet in front of you. Throw the switch from the old to the new.

PS Spuds I believe, if they were a manufactured product, would not be allowed on the shelves because of the toxins associated with their greenish skins. You can check it out it should be on the net somewhere.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't panic Johnboy, You may find that you can tolerate a couple of small ones (potatoes). As for pasta etc try a small portion, you might find you tolerate it. I don't know how good a cook you are or if you do your own cooking but you can make a sort of lasagne using courgette. Use a potato peeler to peel off thin slices then layer it with meat and grated cheese. The Hairy Bikers also did a lasagne using sheets made of layers of leek.

Thanks Chris.Yeah im sure a small portion of roast spuds 2 or 3 of em wouldnt make a big impact and as for pasta well they usually come in ready meals lasgane and cannaloni never can spell that word lol.i dont eat it all that often anyways it doesnt do to have the same meals every week that gets a bit boring.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I strongly disagree with @chris lowe (sorry Chris) I think it is time to throw the switch.

It is time to start on a whole new food adventure, I think the alternate foods should be eaten how it best suits those foods, and not make them look like something familiar. Why?

Because we want our new diet foods to taste gourmet and not like a poor cousin of something else.

We all have a trigger point that is like a match that starts a fire. Too much carbs and we start the fire (our BS goes out of proportion high) and if we stay within our carb tolerance our BS is fine.

Treat your new diet as an exciting game with a gourmet banquet in front of you. Throw the switch from the old to the new.

PS Spuds I believe, if they were a manufactured product, would not be allowed on the shelves because of the toxins associated with their greenish skins. You can check it out it should be on the net somewhere.

Well im going by the reading i did last Thursday of 6.3 being a good reading indeed after id eaten my usual cheese and ham baguette for lunch and glass of OJ and nibbled on a milky way bar after id had an afternoon siesta and got the phone call to say i had tested positive i decided to do a test just to see what it felt like and it read 6.3 which elated me as id expected it to spike much higher.Then again i did another test last Sunday morning that was more to see about the Dawn Phenonomon it said 9.0 but id not had any brekkie and had more or less only just tumbled outta bed and had 1 cuppa tea.The best way for me i think is to eat sumat say breakfast and test a couple of hours afterwards and see.

C

chris lowe

No probs forge, it's just what works for me and we're all different and wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed on everything on here, There'd be no point in having the forums if that happened

Reactions: 5 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh dear 9.3 is not what id wanted 2 1/2 hours after having lunch.I know what shoved it up though.It has to be the glass of OJ i had with dinner i wasnt to know they would serve me a large glass like that.Next time that can be substituted for maybe a glass of diet coke.For the meal i plumped for the Small Belly buster again i didnt know just how much they would shove on me plate.There was 2 sausages,1 fried egg,2 rashers of bacon all the fried stuff was cooked in virgin olive oil or so thats what they put at the top of the menu and also a slice of fried bread cut in 2 each half with a small hash brown on and some baked beans.If that was the small belly buster id sure hate to see the big belly buster lol.Right well next time plump for 2 sausage 1 egg and 2 bacon rashers and leave the hash browns and fried bread off.Still im on the road to finding out whats a deffo no no and that little lot was for sure.Now my hand is sore after ive smacked it naughty boy lol