Working With Autistic Young Adults..

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hiiii,

I was just wondering...

I've been wanting to apply for a long long time to work in a place called 'alps college' it's a place that looks after young autistic adults. Some live there and some come for the day or a small part of the day..

When i got an application form they wanted me to go into great detail about my medical history, Which i totally understand as you must be in good health and mind to assist young adults with autism.

However i was too scared to apply in fear of being Rejected because i have diabetes. Back when i first got the application form because my diabetes wasn't very well controlled, My sister's fiance works there and said she could put in a good word for me and not to worry about it... But i didn't find it fair to apply for a job to be responsible for someone else when i couldn't be responsible for my diabetes.

But now my diabetes is really 6 million times better. and i'm also soon getting a pump too.

So after all that natter my question is... Would it be better for me to get sort of a medical refernce from my diabetes nurse if i were to apply?

I want to go to university to do a health and social care degree and with no a-levels i need work experience which i'm definately NOT getting from my boring office job i do now :)

and insight greatly massively super appreciated.

thanks!:)

iHs

Ebony

Whenever I have filled out application forms for a job, I've just said that I have fairly well controlled diabetes using insulin and have not had any problems when being interviewed.

You shouldn't need to ask for medical reference from your dsn or dr unless asked for by your would be employer, so don't volunteer info that isn't asked for.

Good Luck (sounds like a challenging but rewarding job) :)

As long as you can fulfil the job description that they want then go fot it.

I don't think anyone should ever let anything get in their way of what they want. I actually have an autistic brother. He was told he wouldn't really achieve. He is starting university in September and has been working this summer.

So if you think you are capable and well enough then go for it. Be totally honest on the application form and in the interview be ready for any health related questions they throw at you. They shouldn't really ask too many. My mum is diabetic and is a teacher and they are very supportive of it.

Good luck

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks for your replies...

It's just something i really really want to do so i really don't want to stuff it up..

i thought it may be better to get a medical reference instead of them maybe not even bothering when they see i have diabetes, i know there's employment law to protect that sort of thing but it still happens i'm guessing :(

thanks again!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A good employer should look beyond the condition and concentrate on the applicants credentials and qualities as a person, more so in the position you are applying for Ebony! I do accept that this isn't always the case with employers, and through ignorance and lack of training will see diabetes as a obstacle.

I don't think I have ever been discriminated when applying for a job, and usually get to the interview stage where I can explain my diabetes control, I've had 10 jobs both part/full time since diagnosis so don't think diabetes has held me back.

Good luck with your application!

Nigel

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks nigel!

I've never applied for a job yet since being diagnosed but my current employers are great with it so it gives me hope. Just kind of nervous about it thats all!!

i will go for it though!!

thanks again everyone!