Working with Diabetes

simonkeenan

I am a civil enforcement officer in the North East, just for admitting that i know your all groaning lol, Last Sunday 29/05/11 I was at work for 7am, at around 9.30am i started to feel funny, i call it funny cause i cannot find the words to explain the feeling i get, i kind off tingle and have what it feels like internal tremors / shaking, my breathing changes and i nose dive from happy and strong to well feeling funny!, i was a few minutes away from base but only 40 odd seconds away from mcdonalds so left the car park i was patrolling and parked up just down the road from the car park got out and walked to Mcdonalds to get some food, i went to Mcdonalds as it was closer to anything else that was open, i got my food and headed back to the van to continue my work and eat as i did.

As i got back to the van a member of the puplic was taking a photo of me returning from inside the coffee shop that he worked at then he came out an questioned why i had just issued a car in a car park then parked on double yellow lines to go to Mcdonalds, i did not tell him why i got the food but i did tell him a work vehicle has 20 minutes on double yellow lines, i feel it was better than staying in a car park with no ticket after issuing a vehicle for not having a ticket, he had his say i explained my actions and we moved on, i checked a couple more car parks then headed back to base to finish my food.

I should of went home sick, but as there was only four of us in i decided to stay as i would be letting my colleagues down, so i sat there for just over an hour with my manager and we talked, i explained what had happened and how i was feeling and he did not ask me to go out, we had our team brief and i felt well enough to get on with my work, the reason i took tis job is due to the walking we do we average up to 20 miles a day and since ding this i do feel stronger and fitter i have always been big but now mixed with the fat is a lot of muscle i have lost almost 3 stone in just over a year and i do honestly feel great, i went out that day and did my shift to the best of my ability.

We have a new team manager standing in till our contract manager finds a replacement, and he is a new breed of evil, he bullies the staff and makes us fear him every little mistake mad has gone from a talking or a warning to disciplinaries, in the 14 months i have been there i have not been in more disciplinaries in my whole life than i have in the past couple of months, in his eyes i went from one of the best to one of the worst, thing is though i was still doing the same and still getting the issues he bullies us, he sets us up to fail by bringing stress into the workpalce then he sits back and waits and in our job we do make mistakes there is a lot of thought that goes into the job and we get a lot of verbal and psychical attacks, in the past month i have been atacked twice due to wroking alone with no cover at all and with the mental stress brought on from the new manager my diabetes has gone crazy, i feel "funny" more in the past two months than i have since i became diabetic a few years back. im not sleeping and i actaully want to phone in sick or leave my position because of him, the first words out of my colleagues mouths on a morning is not good morning or how are you it is what sort of mood is Paul in, which is ****, no one should have to live like that let alone work like it.

On Tuesday 31/05/11 at 15.45 i was called back into base as Paul wanted to see me, and i was suspended with pay pending investigation for what happened on Sunday and on the Wednesday 01/06/11 i was in the local paper pictures and all....

I cannot afford to loose my job and to loose it due to feeling "funny" i think is unfair, maybe i should of ignored it and crashed the work vehicle, or maybe i should of just went home sick but i did not as i did not want to let them down even though i was feeling so bad i continued my shift for what.....the chances of getting sacked.

i felt stressed and unwell and now with splash of depression, you have to love life!

thank you and sorry i ramble a bit.....

simon keenan

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Simon and welcome to the forum, if by feeling 'funny' you mean you were hypo and had to eat then your employer is breaking the law to discipline you. As a diabetic you are covered by the Disabilities Act and your employer is required to make certain allowances should you need to treat a hypo. I would say ask to speak to your personnel/human resources manager or whatever they are called now and discus your managers behaviour with them, if you get no joy then contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau CAB office and ask for legal advice.

I am sure another T1 will be along and give you a more definitive answer soon.

sugar2

Hi Simon,

What Sid says really!

As a T1, who has such an active work life, you really should carry your BG meter and some glucose around with you, at all times, as well as having extra supplies in your car/van etc. (My own car, at times resembles a tuck shop!)

You did the right thing in the circumstances..if you feel hypo at the wheel, you should stop where it is safe to do so, and sort out the hypo. the fact that you din't have "sugar supplies" with you is not good, and could be a problem (as in your employer, if unsympathetic could argue you were not being responsible) , but the fact that you didn't, but sorted yourself out anyway is a postive.

They should not suspend you, but I think that this is a good opportunity to review your working life and your diabetes. Being T1 shouldn't stop you doing your job, and you can easily make sure that you are safe, and doing what you need to for your diabetes at all times...but, your employer has to allow you to do so. have you explained to them what you need to do, and also why you stopped where you did?

Your manager sounds like a coward..but as you seem to enjoy your job, it would be a shame to let him put you off! (even if the public groad when they see you :D )

simonkeenan

thank you for the replies, i was in the work van, i had something in my bag but that was in base, if i was in base then great but i did what i felt was the right thing, i have just received an email that im in the paper again some wrote in saying i was not above the law.....thing is it sounded like someone who new the job a little to well.......

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that you need to get advice on the legal aspects but I'm also concerned, that you seem to have driven from the car park to Mcdonalds when you had a hypo, not a good idea. Your profile says that you are a T1 on insulin, if thats right, what sort of advice have you recieved on testing and dealing with hypos?

simonkeenan

to thw last person that replied with the links, neither of them will open says cannot be found, i even sent t my wife and she got the same error....

thank you

simonkeenan

phoenix

To be honest i have no idea what to do if i start to have a hypo i eat something and i feel better, i did not want to stay in the car park so i pulled out went about 20 yards if that and then stopped....

thank you

C

catherinecherub

I can open the first one, no problem.
If you disregard the CAB at the start of the second one, it will take you to the site.

simonkeenan

advice one i have got inot but for the life of me i cannot open the other one i just get a notepad and tons of asian writing lol.....

anyone nice enough to email me the information if there is not a lot of of of course.

thank you

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Did you put up any fight ? Have you been to CAB or is it all a Done deal now?

Sorry for you ,,Not many jobs Going in the North East

Bob

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you appealed agisnt your dismissal, what advice did you take on this prior to dismissal?

blonagael

Hi there,

without knowing the whole story, I'd say you need to consider lodging an employment tribunal. What were you fired for?

Is it because you parked in the wrong place while having a hypo and went to mcdonalds for food? That sounds like appropriate first aid to me.

Don't give up, get CAB advice and put everything in your diary before you forget stuff.

good luck and if you have questions put them up as you often get good advice on here.

simonkeenan

Hello all, I would like to thank you all for your replies and apologise for for not getting back sooner, this Friday it is my Tribunal date and to be honest I am starting to feel "funny" again.

do not worry my blood sugars are good, this time it is nerves lol, this Friday will i hope will allow me to move on, since my sacking in June 2011 I have applied for about 60 jobs and heard back from about 3, they asked me why I left my last employment and I tell them the truth and they have all told me to contact them once the tribunal is over which is unfair.

The company I used to work for and the solicitor they are using are giving me a hard time accusing me and trying to bully me, they offered me £500 compensation the other week which my rep (my brother) did not even tell me about until he had refused it lol, then yesterday they went up to £2,500 compensation which this time my brother told me about but I refused.

Why did I refuse you may ask well, I want my job back, yes I was a civil enforcement officer,maybe the most hated people on the planet we were hit, pushed, spat at we even have had to dive out of the way of oncoming cars,the weather conditions we had to work in with the rain the snow the ice and winds but I would take that all back in a heartbeat because I loved it.

How could I work for a company that did and could treat me so badly, well because I loved the work so much I could put up with anything,I just want to get back to work, The worse thing in the world was telling my two daughters Megan 11 and Emily 8 that because of me they were going to have the worse Christmas ever and it was my fault, they were so upset, this time of the year i normally have my Christmas cd on as i do the house work but I just cannot I am not in the mood I feel so sad, but this Friday I am hoping it will all be over I will have my job back and have some money to spend on the kids.....

fingers crossed guys.

simon

simonkeenan

phoenix said:
I agree that you need to get advice on the legal aspects but I'm also concerned, that you seem to have driven from the car park to Mcdonalds when you had a hypo, not a good idea. Your profile says that you are a T1 on insulin, if thats right, what sort of advice have you recieved on testing and dealing with hypos?

hi your told the normal stuff but this was my first major hit and i think panic set in, I now carry something with me at all times, I check my blood a lot and it is always around the 7.0 i think with the stress i was not doing more to help myself, but lessons have been learnt.

simonkeenan

sugar2 said:
Hi Simon,

What Sid says really!

As a T1, who has such an active work life, you really should carry your BG meter and some glucose around with you, at all times, as well as having extra supplies in your car/van etc. (My own car, at times resembles a tuck shop!)

You did the right thing in the circumstances..if you feel hypo at the wheel, you should stop where it is safe to do so, and sort out the hypo. the fact that you din't have "sugar supplies" with you is not good, and could be a problem (as in your employer, if unsympathetic could argue you were not being responsible) , but the fact that you didn't, but sorted yourself out anyway is a postive.

They should not suspend you, but I think that this is a good opportunity to review your working life and your diabetes. Being T1 shouldn't stop you doing your job, and you can easily make sure that you are safe, and doing what you need to for your diabetes at all times...but, your employer has to allow you to do so. have you explained to them what you need to do, and also why you stopped where you did?

Your manager sounds like a coward..but as you seem to enjoy your job, it would be a shame to let him put you off! (even if the public groad when they see you :D )

They are saying i am a liar and using it as an excuse, so they sacked me, my medical form that I filled in when i started has gone missing from my staff file, so they are saying i never disclosed it, I got a letter from the manager that employed me but guess what now they are saying he is a liar to lol the manager that sacked me said he was a diabetic also and because his was under control he judged me and sacked me.

simonkeenan

phoenix said:

there was a million things i maybe could of done, I have never had a hypo as bad before so I was unsure on what to do i think panic set in, I could not leave the van as the doors did not lock, i was on auto pilot.....i drove about 60 yards maybe and decided no more i need something...