worried about not being able to work

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
Hi guys

heres the thing, i have t1 and am going through some eyesight changes and everyday is a real struggle to go to work due to panic attacks caused by vision anxiety i cry all day in work but i cant not go to work because i need money but everyday i am miserable being out on my own i get scared and run home to my mum after work. dont know what to do if my eyesight gets worse and i struggle to go to work? can you get diabetes councelling or group meetings to help?

thanks
amanda

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Amanda,

Sounds like you need a big hug x

It's pretty scary having the anxiety you are having - have you spoken to your doctor about your fears ? Try and get an appointment asap and talk this through - they may be able to get you some counselling or even prescribe medication to calm you down and stop you getting panic attacks.

Try not to feel so sad, you are taking on too much and need support, there is help there, it's just getting the support you need right now to carry you through this, PM me if you want to, ok x

manda pops

Dislikes
thank you,

do you have eyesight issues too. cant really talk to my husband as he said ive been so miserable latley im making him unhappy. just want all this to go away and get my perfect vision back. dont want to go to my doctor as a dont want to be on medication and i struggle to talk to people i can act normal around people and put on a big brave face as if im the strongest person in the world. im only 26 and i feel that i have nothing much to live for anymore x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don't be afraid of taking medication, sometimes it's the process of even accepting the help you can get is the hardest bit, but trust me if your feeling this low you really need all the help you can get, particularly as your putting on such a brave face but hiding so much anxiety.

It really does get better too, when you're in a better place again you will understand more, but please pick up the phone to your doctors, dont worry about telling them everything that your feeling as they have to understand the impact this is having on you - but this really is the way forward, they will help you.

How long have you had eye problems and how are your daily BG readings - do you tend to go high alot ? Have you had any support with attending DAFNE ? Also do you have regular contact with your diabetic nurse or consultant ?

Does your husband really understand how you are feeling right now and can you talk openly to him ?

manda pops

Dislikes
i had laser surgery for the first time last yr. noticed a small change in vision. was at the eye clinic 3 weeks ago and they said no change
but now my eyesight has gone blurry things further away are hard to see details. my sugars are stable altho its hard to get to the 6ish mark mine a bit between 6-8.9 passed few weeks but i was ill and my sugars were high and then i was on holiday and my sugars i had got a bit lazy again so its really the passed 2 weeks av started to be careful and control alot better.

my husband just tells me i need to get on with it and accept what happens as theres nothing i can do to change what does happen. hes not very supportive and i think thats why i maybe feeling much worse too.

how is your diabetes x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The support you get is so important - I can understand why you feel like this if your husband isn't helping you. My eyes get blurry when my sugars are high - so try to test regularly and see what's going on, it sounds as though your experience has left you feeling afraid, but try not to be, if you're looking after yourself there is no reason why you should be getting eye problems.

I am on medication - was having problems this year keeping my sugars down, was getting constantly stressed out and wanted to run away, felt like it was out of control, fortunately I have an amazing but over-stretched DSN who spoke to my doctor and am now taking anti-depressants, I got to the point of not caring what I took, I just wanted the stress and anxiety to go away, my partner is fantastic and although he doesnt fully understand what I was going through he's happy as long as I am happy. I am in a much better place now, more confident and ready to fight challenges head on again, took a few weeks to get there but i'm happy to take them now, my sugars are much better controlled, rarely go above 10 now, whereas before I would be up to 20 at times - just goes to show the effect of stress and anxiety has on your body.

Please call your DSN or doctor - honestly it does get better but you have to find some strength to make that call.

x

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stupid question, Have you been to the optitions? could just be a prescription change! if you've had work on your eyes previously and no changes at eye clinic. Thats where I always head first anyway.

manda pops

Dislikes
yes i have been to the optician and they have referred me back to the hospital so i am waiting for an appointment to come in. im hoping its related to my sugars but i somehow doubt that from what i have read the things i am experiencing is related to the retinopathy/maculopathy x

D

Deleted member 45091

Hi I can relate to your post ive been diabetic 23 years, iam not saying your exactly the same but when I was about 27 I was struggling with my diabetes feeling tired and sick all the time I tried to cut my hours down in the end I just walked out coudnt cope any more, been out of work for some years 33 now suffer massively from anxiety and etc. Had my eyes tested yesterday said ive got to have some laser on left eye this is my first one ive had to have. I after having my eyes checked I coudnt even wait for the results I had to walk out my nerves was all over the place. My problem is iam really against taking any tablets etc. I drink a couple times a week which relaxes me but also has its a negative effect, I also smoke which I started a few years back when I was 30 not another great move. Diabetes is a hard one because there are a lot of good controlled with not many problems we are sort of expected and encouraged to be like them. I had good control for the first 15 years or so that it just sort of started going wrong. Sometimes I think if I had I physical disability people could see and maybe I would at least know where I am each day. But when people look at me a lot of the time iam 5.10 and 13.4 stone they say well you look quite fit and healthy to me. At the moment I fear hypos which is crazy ive never passed out through one and always treated them easy so iam reluctant to up my insulin keeping my sugars high so I feel safe its crazy really, some people with diabetes and well controlled maybe would disagree but I class being diabetic as a form of disability even without complecations just the daily challenges of maintaining good sugars is mentally draining. Saying that I am happily married expecting a baby boy in the next week or so, so this should give me some motivation to getting things sorted and hopefully return to some form of employment...Sorry for sounding negative. but iam hearing stories diabetes should not effect your life and you can do anything you want don't let it hold you back, well in my case its hold me back big time I can never do anything spontanues and every decision I make diabetes is always on the back of my mind its a naughty disease but il keep trying each day il listen to the medics and my own judgement and body, and tried to improve my diabetes and life the best I can... sorry for long rant not put anything on for a while..just wanted to let you know your not on your own and things can get better. Take care Dan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
manda pops said:
Hi guys

heres the thing, i have t1 and am going through some eyesight changes and everyday is a real struggle to go to work due to panic attacks caused by vision anxiety i cry all day in work but i cant not go to work because i need money but everyday i am miserable being out on my own i get scared and run home to my mum after work. dont know what to do if my eyesight gets worse and i struggle to go to work? can you get diabetes councelling or group meetings to help?

thanks
amanda

Hi Amanda So sorry to read of your eye problems and anxiety. I don't know if this may help you at all but at the end of August I had my first ever eye operation. Previous to that I had had laser surgery on the eye and before I went in for the Op I had to have a double dose of laser on the left eye, that's the better one. My vision is still not back to normal in the operated eye but I still can do lots of things, I even fitted an electrical connector to my lawnmower, it took a lot longer than I thought, but I did it. After the Op my 12 year old daughter helped me a lot, but I had to go out on my own, which I did and still do, also worked( I'm a part-time carer). I have found if you can put your mind to something you can do anything, honestly. You may think you can't, but once you get over that big hurdle it can and will get a little easier. You are only 26 and that's such a young age to be going through all those turmoil's, (I'm an older mum, twice your age) and the unknown can scare me as well. Just start with tiny little steps, we are all stronger than we think :thumbup:
Could you have a talk with your GP and take hubby along as well, be there for each other with love and support. Having that special person with you can help such a lot, that's something I really miss:( I have found lots of great people on the forum who have given me wonderful support through a tricky time. You are not alone in how you are feeling, there are other members who have gone through similar things and understand your worries.

I dearly hope you can start to feel better in yourself very soon. Sending you a big ((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))) take care now.

Best wishes RRB X

manda pops

Dislikes
you are so lovley thank you. i feel selfish to be moaning all the time when everyone is going throught tough times.

i just get scared when i look at things i was able to see perfect before. do you think the sudden blurryness is a result of blood sugar change. as far as i was aware there was no change in my eyes to cause concern had laser a 18 months agao and had 6 monthly appointments. some people say stress makes it alot worse.

just dont know how to live my life when i am unable to make out details. but then i have got to tell myself that theres people out there would love to see what i see right now. x

Elc1112

Hi Amanda,

I had my eye check a few months ago and have been asked to attend the hospital for some further tests. I have worked myself up something stupid about this. What happens if they find something? What if I need treatment? Will I still be able to drive? What will happen with work? And so on.

Truth is, until I have had the appointment I have absolutely no idea. That doesn't stop me worrying, though! It's made worse by the fact that I have had some other personal (non diabetes related) stuff going on recently. I've been absolute wreck and I k is that it is affecting my ability to do my job.

My hospital appointment is in mid October. I have talked to my boss about it and he has been very understanding. He knows that I am stressed and a little bit distracted at the moment. Letting him know before things become a real issue means that it is like likely to cause any work related issues.

Have you talked to your employer? Might be worth having an informal chat with your manager/HR. just let then know that you're going through some stuff at the minute and ask them to bear with you.

As for your sight, speak to your doctor and, I know this is easier said than done, try not to panic yourself too much. They are incredibly vigilant with diabetics and anything eye related. We have regular checks so that they can spot and treat problems early. If things are treated early then there is a much smaller chance that it will have a huge affect on our lives.

Just out if interest, what do you do for a living? I work in marketing and am lucky enough to be able to work from home. As I live an hour and a half from work I tend to do three days from home and two days in the office. It's good. Having his flexibility as it does mean that I can work from home if my eyes feel a bit fuzzy after the screening, for example.

Em xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wizardinblack

My eyes go really blurry after highs and lows etc, depending on my blood sugars. I was struggling to read road signs when driving, so i went the opticians and got some very low prescription glasses. Work perfectly. some days i don't need them others i do, but it might be a similar thing?