worried about slow wound healing

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
for almost 30 years (boy i feel old now) ive suffered with what i can describe as boils its called hidradenitis suppurativa (DONT GOOGLE IF EATING OR SQUEAMISH)now these can take days, weeks or even months to heal without diabetes, i normally take care of them at home unless they show signs of infection then i have to see dr for antibiotics
now ive read and been told wounds take longer to heal so in the case of a breakout should i get straight to the drs or wait it out as i normally would?

D

Deleted Account

My understanding is, like all other diabetes complications, if you keep your BG under control, wounds should not take much longer to heal.
I have had type 1 for 14 years and seen no difference.

Personally, I would be nervous about going to the Dr for antibiotics too often as their effectiveness would reduce due to antibiotic resistant bugs.

If your boils show no signs of infection, I would let nature run its course. Obviously, if they look "ikky", the doc needs to check them out.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
My understanding is, like all other diabetes complications, if you keep your BG under control, wounds should not take much longer to heal.
I have had type 1 for 14 years and seen no difference.

Personally, I would be nervous about going to the Dr for antibiotics too often as their effectiveness would reduce due to antibiotic resistant bugs.

If your boils show no signs of infection, I would let nature run its course. Obviously, if they look "ikky", the doc needs to check them out.
i only take antibiotics when there is an infection, i allways keep an eye on any redness around it and if its spreading i draw around it and if it goes beyond the pen mark then its time for antibiotics
i think over the last 4 years ive only needed maybe 4 lots of antis, one was quite a big dose 1000mg as there was bad infection and dr said he could drain or cut it but i couldnt have it numbed due to infection, i had it drained and it started clearing
last lost was a few weeks ago i had one at top of my leg and i couldnt move and it was quite infected but soon cleared once the antibiotics kicked in
when infection kicks in the pain is unbearable id rather give birth to quads with no pain relief, its like a burning throbbing pain, i have a fairly good pain threashold and they really knock me for six

D

debrasue

I don't have any medical qualifications or experience, and I'm not familiar with your particular condition (which sounds awful and you have my utmost sympathy), but I am susceptible to oedema and therefore cellulitis from time to time, so I can empathise.
I think that we are our own experts on our health conditions, and it sounds to me as if you're doing exactly the right thing.
It's wise not to take any chances with infection, but it's equally wise not to rush into any sort of medication/therapy until you're sure what you're dealing with. Drawing around the area of redness is exactly what a good doctor would do to check on the spread of any infection and, although the overuse of antibiotics can be counter-productive, once a year over the past four years doesn't sound excessive.
If your BG levels are fairly well controlled, I would say continue to do exactly as you are doing.
Good luck, and I hope your condition improves swiftly.
Sending hugs.

Reactions: licklemoose

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
why did you have to challenge me to see if I was squeamish?

If you are healthy with a good hba1c then I would not worry so much about it, and as you say doc if infected. Life in antibiotics is not a great place to be. Reading up on what you can eat to help prevent issues it is close to a fantastic diabetic diet/lifestyle. No idea if it can be cured but the route to maximise prevention looks yummy.