Worried Mum!

Sharon1965

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Please help, another tearful evening fretting over my som's health. He has been to a music festival this weekend, drank a lot, ate little, tested even less and missed levimir dose at least once..has come home unwell with glucose levels at 22..another argument about not looking after himself properly..he leaves home for university in 4 weeks time to Newcastle,( we live in herts). I am worrying myself sick...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He can take a correction dose to bring his levels down, he'll need to test for ketones with high bg like that and monitor his bg more closely.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sharon1965 said:
Please help, another tearful evening fretting over my som's health. He has been to a music festival this weekend, drank a lot, ate little, tested even less and missed levimir dose at least once..has come home unwell with glucose levels at 22..another argument about not looking after himself properly..he leaves home for university in 4 weeks time to Newcastle,( we live in herts). I am worrying myself sick...

Hi Sharon, you know what, we all worry about our children and when they have a medical condition as well, it's twenty times worse.

As he is an adult, he must look after himself and his diabetes, he will be flippant and indifferent to his diabetes, but he will get that wake up call and when he does the best thing is to be there for him, It's very hard but, the more you argue about his way of life the more he will dig his heels in. Why don't you both go out for a meal and have a quiet chat about your concerns, calmly and on a adult to adult wave length, it could help you both. ( If not, then what about writing to him on a special card, saying how much you love him and you are just a mum, his mum (and a very caring one too)

It's a difficult time for young people, they want to be like their friends, and not worry about constantly injecting or testing their BS, they just wanna have fun, without the horrible medical condition. I was 31 when diagnosed, and always been the sensible type ( your son would probably say boring!!)

I wish him well, and try not to worry too much, difficult I know and make sure you look after yourself.

Best wishes RRB

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently fretting over my 27 year old son who has major and life affecting injuries to his left arm. He doesn't seem to grasp the fact that if he continues to leave it dangling there, that's all it will ever do. I am angry, frustrated and so very grateful he's alive but there is nothing I say or do that changes what he does.
We are now almost seven weeks post accident and I have only just been able to let go. Why? He is an adult and HAS to make his own decisions. Next time he gets hit by a car in London whilst cycling, he may die and I will have to deal with that.

Tell your son that you are allowed to worry and nag him, but you are not responsible for his health. If he wants help, you, like all mothers, will move heaven and earth for him and do it with a willing and glad heart, but if he wants to risk his life, then that is up to him.

It's bloody awful, isn't it.

Sharon1965

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your kind words of support..he has come out of his room and sat with me and apologised for being stupid..this is a pattern with him, we fight then he comes and talks and sees reason..until the next time..he has taken a corrective dose and got himself down to BS 12. He sees his condition as a stigma clearly he has not really come to terms with it. I guess 16 was probably the wrong time to be diagnosed, younger I guess kids accept it easier and older I guess maturity helps with acceptance..he has a routine check up in two weeks before he leaves for uni.. I know he is an adult but would it be so wrong to call the consultant in private ahead of his appointment to tell him how he is mis managing and express my worries...?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sharon1965 said:
I know he is an adult but would it be so wrong to call the consultant in private ahead of his appointment to tell him how he is mis managing and express my worries...?

Not wrong at all, you may not get to speak with the consultant but you should get to speak with a DSN about your son, hopefully they'll make notes and but them on his file in time for his next appointment.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sharon, think carefully before you do that. Would he be the type of person to feel he is being gang up upon and then clam up?

wiflib